1971 Datsun 1600 SSS For Sale (not mine)

Post your forsale and wanted ads
paul97

Re: 1971 Datsun 1600 SSS For Sale (not mine)

Post by paul97 »

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

EDM horn?
jjjjjjjjjj.jpg
jjjjjjjjjj.jpg (151.1 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

okayfine wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:So what make that a SSS, a steering wheel and emblems? It's a 70's model with a `68 rear bumper and lic lamp, 69 front fenders, stock suspension with maybe Safari Rally springs and `68 style no 1/4 panel rear round running lights or rather rectangular to match the year of the car. $22k SSS I think not.
It's a LHD SSS car. Datsun made them, for EDM, mainly. Not in enough numbers to make a LHD-specific SSS dash, but it otherwise would have had the engine (carbs, head, dizzy) as well.

As for the rest of your assumptions about the exterior, you're exhibiting Amerocentrism. What you see on that car is standard issue for world cars for 69-73 (basically every market except NA).
You mean Americentrism right? and it isn't an assumption Jules its what I see. I didn't know it was a standard issue for world-cars except for North America and why didn't I know because I don't care about knowing every little thing about a 510 so I can correct people. So don't assume we all know it all, just state the fact ok Dude?l.

Ok you can rebuttal now 8>)
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Three B's Racing wrote:because I don't care about knowing every little thing about a 510 so I can correct people.
And yet your first post is your attempt to think you know every little thing about a 510 so you can correct people.
Three B's Racing wrote:So what make that a SSS, a steering wheel and emblems? It's a 70's model with a `68 rear bumper and lic lamp, 69 front fenders, stock suspension with maybe Safari Rally springs and `68 style no 1/4 panel rear round running lights or rather rectangular to match the year of the car. $22k SSS I think not.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
MK510

Post by MK510 »

That A87 head is not original?, 1600SSS should have 219 head.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

okayfine wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:because I don't care about knowing every little thing about a 510 so I can correct people.
And yet your first post is your attempt to think you know every little thing about a 510 so you can correct people.
Just pointing out the obvious JULES!!! no attempt to think I know everything because I don't. Bummer you missed that.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

MK510 wrote:That A87 head is not original?, 1600SSS should have 219 head.

IIRC, the 219 was a replacement for the A87.

Anyone?. Bueller? Anyone?
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I always thought that a 219 was a closed chamber large port head that only ever came on an L16 with twin SUs (and perhaps similarly equipped L18 engines)
MK510

Post by MK510 »

qwik510 wrote:IIRC, the 219 was a replacement for the A87.
No, A87 was later.
I've never seen A87 head with original big ports like 219.
EJ333

Post by EJ333 »

This one is currently on auction on BaT ( Bringatrailer.com). It's a rare one, if one were interested in a potential investment. Currently bidding at $17,000 with a couple days to go.
Not really my cup of tea, because it's currently set up for rallying. As someone said on this forum, do you really want to pay that much for an SSS steering wheel and badging ? It is a left-hand driver ( good ?) and in a re spray of an original unique color. You'd be the only North American owner of this unique 1600 SSS. My vote is for Myron Vernis to be the high bidder at the end. I believe he is known to own rare models of cars including JDM ones.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Anymore you buy a 510 because of the condition it is in, not any presumed or proclaimed provenance. 510s can be anything you want them to be, but, no, a rallyed-up LHD four-door in essentially stock trim (even if it's SSS trim) isn't a $17K car, nevermind what the seller was originally looking for on CL. The BaT auction is proving me wrong, but you could build it for that as there are relatively unmolested, solid, complete four-door cars available.

All the same, I hope the buyer comes to The Realm and shares.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

EJ333 wrote:This one is currently on auction on BaT ( Bringatrailer.com). It's a rare one, if one were interested in a potential investment. Currently bidding at $17,000 with a couple days to go.
Not really my cup of tea, because it's currently set up for rallying. As someone said on this forum, do you really want to pay that much for an SSS steering wheel and badging ? It is a left-hand driver ( good ?) and in a re spray of an original unique color. You'd be the only North American owner of this unique 1600 SSS. My vote is for Myron Vernis to be the high bidder at the end. I believe he is known to own rare models of cars including JDM ones.
Took a little search to find the actual listing - it's here:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-1600-sss/

I feel this car is a bit special. It does have a bit more than a badge and steering wheel. The interior certainly has upgraded factory touches that our cars did not have, and they have survived. The metric speed with trip meter is a nice touch. The rear door panels are also unique. The add on bumper foot plates may or may not be your thing. What is missing is the grab handles below the rear window that go with these foot plates to make them functional. There are other trim bits a s well on the car that are cool. I'm a vintage rally fan, so maybe the car appeals to me a bit more. It is true that you can find the bits that make this car a bit special. But they are already here.
Maybe many feel its value is too high because it's a 4 dr. Personally, I don;t care either way, so it's really a matter of your point of view. As a guy that has raced both 2dr and 4dr models, I can tell you that the access granted by the 4dr model is just as useful in a race car as it is in a street car. Yes, it likely has a weight penalty of 100 lbs max, and for the super competitive this could be a deal breaker. But this car is not in that category. It'd make a great TSD car as it sits. Imagine a nice Halda twinmaster, map light and a foot plate mounted on the pass side - you'd be good to go and have a lot of fun in this machine.

As noted above, I hope it goes to a good home and the new buyer joins us here on the Realm. It's a neat car, no doubt about that.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Here is a nice little write up on the car when it was picked up in Portugal;

http://www.valenciaclassicvehicles.com/ ... n-1600-sss

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
speeder

Post by speeder »

I agree with Byron. I found this thing very interesting and cool. The euro interior is sweet, I wonder if that is stock over there? The SSS kit is cool with the carbs, and the A87 head (could be a peanut head, maybe not, I've heard of both types of combustion chambers stamped as A87).

More than anything, if you like the vintage rally look, they got it right on this one, and just the look alone will add significant value to an online sale.

There was another interesting point made in the comments section regarding a spacer (crossmember?) or something that helps negate excessive postive camber in the rear wheels when raising the car with the Safari spring setup. Presumable this means without any camber adjustability mods to the rear crossmember trailing arm mounts. Anyone know more about this?
'72 4 door 510, '68 2000 Roadster
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

This Datsun is assembled in Portugal. You can see it by the chassis number. Normally with a 510 made in Japan you will find them on the firewall . But in Portugal they stamped it on the left strut tower.