WANTED - L Series Street Engine - Rebello - Ermish

Post your forsale and wanted ads
qwik510
Supporter

WANTED - L Series Street Engine - Rebello - Ermish

Post by qwik510 »

Looking to buy a good solid, ready to bolt in and go, 4 cylinder L series Street Motor.

I have a stock L20B now and would like more Power! I don't want a KA or an SR. I want to stay with an L Series.

Do you have a well built and proven L series 4 cylinder in you car and you have been thinking about a swap?
I would be interested in purchasing your engine.

No Junk Please.

I have cash and I am ready to buy. I am not in a hurry.

Let me know what you have. Please be able to provide pictures, specs, video of it running, Etc.

Email, call or text.

David
qwik510@aol.com
301-651-7788
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: WANTED - L Series Street Engine - Rebello - Ermish

Post by datzenmike »

Get a Z22 block, crank and pistons. Bore to 89mm and add KA24E pistons to the Z22 rods. Now put everything else from your L20B other than the block, on this and you have a 2.3 liter, L series hybrid engine with 10.39 compression. No 'well built' L20B will touch this.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

datzenmike wrote:Get a Z22 block, crank and pistons. Bore to 89mm and add KA24E pistons to the Z22 rods. Now put everything else from your L20B other than the block, on this and you have a 2.3 liter, L series hybrid engine with 10.39 compression. No 'well built' L20B will touch this.

This is kind of what I am looking for.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That's what I have with custom rods and pistons. 10.5:1 178.8whp if fun in a 510 :mrgreen:
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

funwithmonkeys wrote:That's what I have with custom rods and pistons. 10.5:1 178.8whp if fun in a 510 :mrgreen:

I guess if I can't find one I'll have to build one.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

It will be identical to the L20B except the dip stick location, the engine ID stamp (Z22) will be under the #1 intake port, the oil filter will be different and there will be a heater outlet fitting on the right side of the block that needs to be plugged.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Hakosuka510

Post by Hakosuka510 »

datzenmike wrote:No 'well built' L20B will touch this.
Assuming that the "well built" L20B is "well built" with mostly stock parts, and redlines at stock RPM.

Doing a total barnyard build 2.3 with entirely stock L20B components swapped over to it is a lot of work and effort to go through for such little gain.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Hakosuka510 wrote:
datzenmike wrote:No 'well built' L20B will touch this.
Assuming that the "well built" L20B is "well built" with mostly stock parts, and redlines at stock RPM.

Doing a total barnyard build 2.3 with entirely stock L20B components swapped over to it is a lot of work and effort to go through for such little gain.
You seem to have a thing against Mike. Whatever. But your post doesn't contribute anything at all to the thread. Feel free to add in specifics so your apples can compare to Mike's apples in his OP.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

As the original poster here, I think I want to clarify my goals.

My engine now is a bone stock L20B with Dual 38mm SU Carbs. So all of 110-115 crank hp on its best day? Maybe 85-90 whp.

I think I could be very happy with a 25-30% increase in power and torque.

So let's say 150 - 160 crank HP would be the target. Running on pump gas with no crazy high compression.

I am hoping to find a ready to drop in drivetrain from someone that is looking to do a swap. I don't want to have to build an engine but if I don't find one over the next year or so, I will look into building what I want.

My current engine is great, runs well and is very reliable. I don't need to change it. I just want a bit more umph without going away from the L or LZ series originality.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Not quite what I was looking for but......

I scored this on my local CL earlier this week.

The guy I bought it from was building a 1973 620 pickup with his son back in the early 90's. They pulled the engine to have it rebuilt while the worked on restoring the body. The engine was sent to a local machine shop to be rebuilt with a little extra grunt. They got the engine back and put it under a work bench in their garage while they kept working on the rest of the truck. The son lost interest in the truck and after a while, they sold the truck. The engine sat under that bench from 1993 until just last weekend. He was selling the house and needed to clear out all the stuff. He listed it up on CL and I was out there that afternoon. Needless to say, I brought it home.

i got it home and proceeded to take a closer look and see what I had found. Other then a layer of 20+ year old dust, this thing looks brand new.

It's an L16 with an A87 head. I didn't pull the head but did pull the valve cover and it is all brand new in there. It has an aftermarket cam in it made by Engle Racing Cams. I called them and they looked it up and it is listed as a hot street cam. The head looks to have been shaved a bit and from peeking in the spark plug holes, it looks like there are flat top Pistons inside. It has a set of Mikuni's on it and after pulling one off, I have determined that they are PHH 40's with 32mm chokes. It also has a 5 speed transmission with it. Unfortunately, the end of the Trans (tailshaft) had been dropped and the casting is cracked but that can be replaced.

I am not sure what the plans are for this. One thought is to pull my L20B and install this new motor into my 510 and use it while I build what I really want. Another thought is to locate a Z22 block, pull the head and carbs off this and use them to build an LZ2.2/2.3.

My birthday is coming up this week so I look at this as a gift from the Datsun Gods! :-)

Just had to share..

Last edited by qwik510 on 06 Nov 2016 13:17, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

'80-'83 zx close ratio 5 speed. Mark input and output splines, place in first and turn the input 20 times while counting the output turns. 6.5 output turns makes it a zx 5 speed... congrats. L20B cam doesn't appear to be turned down much. Don't know that distributor either. The A87 may be closed chamber which is the best combo for flattop pistons. Open chamber doesn't provide any real quench area and because of the combustion chamber volume, drops the compression into the low 8s.
datsun510

Post by datsun510 »

Should pull the pan and see if maybe they did the 1800 crank and rod swap. It was popular back then.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

datsun510 wrote:Should pull the pan and see if maybe they did the 1800 crank and rod swap. It was popular back then.

How can you tell if it's an L18 crank?
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Ok, I pulled the pan. It's got new Arias 318SS pistons in it. Rods look like new too but I can't tell for sure.

Last edited by qwik510 on 06 Nov 2016 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage