Wilwood brakes

Post your forsale and wanted ads
Byron510

Re: Wilwood brakes

Post by Byron510 »

edakotaford wrote:great discussion, thank you all for the input! I have been doing datsuns for about a decade now, and have exclusively used ZX front struts with factory brakes. This time round on my build i would like to have modern braking power, whilst hopefully maintaining use of vintage aftermarket JDM 14" wheels. 13's if possible, but the likelihood of installing modern brakes and still fitting 13's my guess is unlikely.
13's are definitely do-able. Even the stock ZX caliper will clear about 50% of the decent 13" wheels available out there.

I used the Willwood Mini GBN calipers on my ZX struts, and they clea7 my 13x7 Libra's (no spacers) with about 1/4" to spare.

Just FYI

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
edakotaford

Post by edakotaford »

13's are definitely do-able. Even the stock ZX caliper will clear about 50% of the decent 13" wheels available out there.

I used the Willwood Mini GBN calipers on my ZX struts, and they clea7 my 13x7 Libra's (no spacers) with about 1/4" to spare.

Just FYI

Byron
do you have PN's for those calipers by chance? and are there conversion brackets that you used readily available or did you custom fab them yourself?

very curious now!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

These calipers are so old, I don't have the actual part number as they came to me used. This was supposed to be in interim solution, but in the end they have worked fine as i am using a low ratio pedal box and don't feel the flex that Keith did with these calipers on his car. However I'm sure the part number is easily obtained on Willwood's site.

I did make the bracket myself, and it wasn't that difficult to do. I have to correct my earlier statement, though. I used A510 front struts in the end with 280ZX hubs and rotors, as they allowed easier bracket fabrication. The build thread explains why.

When I built this strut set up, I too wanted to retain the 13x7 wheels - there were still street tires available in 2007. But by 2011, that source dried up (Yokohama's) here in Canada, so I bought a set of 15x7's and all the effort was all for not. I could still run the 13's on the track as there are tires available for that. I kept my 2 sets of Libra's

Here's the link to the build thread.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=530&start=495

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.