Fresh Restoration/Refresh 71 2dr for sale.

Post your forsale and wanted ads
zKars
Supporter

Fresh Restoration/Refresh 71 2dr for sale.

Post by zKars »

Greetings once again fellow Realmer's.

I spent the last winter and spring restoring/refreshing a lovely low rust (ain't no such thing as a rust free Datsun) straight 71 2 door. I received a partially rebuilt hi perf L20 (L22 internals, SSS carbs, fat cam etc) new suspension and steering components, extensive wiring upgrades and a fresh coat of stock 906 "Gold" paint.

The intended party for the build decided to decline due to personal reasons, so it's now up for sale to general public, but you guys get first crack. It's body is so good and straight that I contemplated swapping all my 69 go fast stuff into it, but then I'd drive it less. I know better than that.

It is 98% complete, some interior details to finish, better you do it the way you like, such as stereo selection and rug color and type selection.

I'll get some details on here soon, I have a website with lots of pictures of the before and after for you-all to knick-kpick over.

Given recent comparables on BAT, I'm asking a pretty firm $22,500 CDN.

It's last registered in British Columbia Canada, I have it insured here in Alberta, and can am willing to get the OOP inspection done before it's sold if an non-BC buyer wants to at least prove it's quality and completeness.

I'm also willing to do some customizing, ie, I have a basic L20B that could go instead to bring the price down, could add rear coil overs and get that butt down, or trim the stock springs back there, get better rubber on for you (I know a guy) etc etc. We, as they say, "have the technology", just not always the time...

I can be reached by PM, or email to z240@shaw.ca. Would love to share the details and stories of the buid.
Attachments
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG (315.35 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
IMG_3431.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG (329.72 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
IMG_3430.JPG
IMG_3430.JPG (289.22 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
zKars
Supporter

Re: Fresh Restoration/Refresh 71 2dr for sale.

Post by zKars »

Here is a quick list of the highlights of the build.

Gecko front coil overs welded to 280zx struts. Adjustable camber.
Stock 280zx front brakes
Stock drum rear brakes. All new components.
Stock rear springs. WAY too high at the moment. Unless you like that look.... each to his own....
New rear bearings. Didn't need them, but had to look.
New steering components. Tie rod ends, ball joints, idler. DIY steering box brace. Usual design, 1/4 steel plate. Addition idler bracing as well.
Good condition steering box
1" sway bar, not in yet... sigh...
Relocated Battery to better front position. Small light group 57 battery. New cables and ends.

Complete fresh new wiring in the engine bay, from the fuse box, relays and all OEM style connectors from front harness connectors just inside the firewall forward. LED H4 and Halogen H1 bulbs in Cibie lenses. All new. Even the bulb connectors are new.

Fresh brake lines. SS flex lines everywhere.
Wilwood distribution and prop valve.
New clutch hydraulics
Engine bay brake lines re-routed along K member to tuck them.

Engine

L20B block, with 2.2 pistons crank. 2.2 head gasket. 150 psi across the board.
U67 head, fresh rebuild. Stock valves, but Isky springs and retainers, Steve Bonk 530 lift cam, idles pretty, nice and quiet valve train.
SSS 38 mm SU's, fresh ZTherapy rebuilds. My custom cable throttle. My custom air box. Z filter. They suck in a good way.
Shorty header, new 2" exhaust with flex section.
All AN fittings from flare fitting on the stock (re-routed of course) hard line to the custom banjo's on the SU's.
120 amp GM style 2 wire internally regulated alternator. turn buckle style tensioner.
EI dizzy.

Drive Line

Nissan R160 CLSD 3.90
Shortened drive shaft, new u-joints
80 ZX 5 speed
Nice light 225mm aluminum flywheel. Not sure what brand. Not Fidanza, I know that one.
Some nice Orange clutch. Easy light pedal.

Removable rad support bar. Makes engine swapping a breeze

New coolant lines through out, yes under dash too

Body

New NOS front fenders. POR and Bed liner coatings.
New NOS front valance. Same as above.
Rear arch right side replace by PO. Rear lower fender behind wheel same thing. Great job.
I found NO rust in my digging through every nook and cranny I could get to. You know there is some hiding in places you can't get to, always is.
Rear wheel interior arches cleaned of PO's undercoat and re-coated as above for fronts.
Small floor patches by PO. Underside is straight and clean overall.
Adapted Integra seats. Brackets are extra heavy duty and mounted properly. No skimping here.
New Seatbelt planet belts. Done ala Datsport design with added lower mount point plate. Comfy fit, no neck rub.

Came with a very heavy bolt-in role bar. It has been removed, and the holes filled with carriage head bolts (and sealed). Could be re-installed very easily if wanted.
Fresh chromed OEM bumpers. Chromed back when it affordable. Would just buy new repo's today.

Lots of yellow CAD re-plated (or new CAD plated) bolts and fittings.
Engine bay was stripped, then POR'ed and top coated with my favorite Graphite Duplicolor wheel paint. This makes it a cinch to touch up brake fluid drip damage or the "effects" of mods we always do.

New door handles
ZX washer bottle. Huge capacity. Re-mounted coil and ballast resistor.

Wiper motor is what ever the latest thread had about a modern motor to use. Acura? Have receipts of course. Linkage is all serviced. Wiring is new, wipers wipe at modern speed and park.

73 rear defroster line glass. Wiring in place, just need to add the switch on the dash somewhere. Really good, though not new, front windshield.

Datsport weatherstripping.

O2 bung in the down pipe and new fancy high speed AEM wideband controller and Bosch sensor with under dash AFR gauge.

Currently has 15" 200sx alloy wheels with about +30 offset. Tires are 75% michelin X-ice III's! Had visions of driving my 69 last winter, (cuz I can), but was unable to move enough snow from drive way and lane to get out! So much for that idea.... I have 15 UHP all season somethings nearly new if you prefer.

More when my brain clears of this dump....
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Reminds me heavily of my rally car which was the same colour :-)

Nice list of restored pieces.

Do you have more photos of the car? I'm thinking you could sell it right here on the Realm pretty easily. People are watching.

GLWS

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Thanks Byron. Working on the web page. Lots of bytes to transfer.... I'll post a few more here as well.

And thanks for passing this on to interested folks!
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

A picture gallery can be found here.

http://zkars.com/cars/71_510_2dr/
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

So I've discovered a way to make sure the car never sells!

It's pretty simple really. All you have to do is include several (7 actually) pictures in the above webpage that include pictures that aren't of the car you're trying to sell, and better yet, lovely pictures of a truly ugly rusty monster with lots and lots of rot and holes. One of the pictures is actually of a Z sunroof repair I did last year. Bet no one caught that! The color of the car is even the same lovely 906! Bonus!

Then make claims in your text that the car is wonderful and has/had virtually no rust and almost no rust repair.

Yup, that will do it!

So I've removed the offending pictures. Now if I can beg forgiveness and hope someone believes my story. Another reason to not have 19,257 pictures on your iPhone, that include likely 100's of Z's and 510's.... The picture's properties reveal they weren't even taking my by camera (other than the Z sun roof), so these may have been from a Kijiji ad for a 510 for sale or some that someone else sent me.

And thanks to Jason who was questioning me about those pictures that didn't seem to jive with my story about the car. Glad this is cleared up.

Back to regular programming.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I did put a few of those together Jim....wasn’t sure about the old engine bay shot though.

I’ll be in Calgary in a couple weeks up to and including the long weekend, I’ll try and drop by to say hi if you’re around.

*edit* And I sure hope you picked up those fenders posted in Spokane!!!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I'll be around. Up to my ears in Z restorations for a while now. Happy to have you drop in.

Yes, those spokane fenders are on the car.