FS: 1972 Datsun 510 2 door Turbo

Post your forsale and wanted ads
msaunders
Supporter

FS: 1972 Datsun 510 2 door Turbo

Post by msaunders »

I've owned this car for 15 years – it started as a rust free bone stock car, found with 65k original miles, stored indoors, and has been built by myself to its current iteration. My style is go as opposed to show, and has been built as such. With that said, the body is in great shape, rust free and straight.

My goal was to build a “sleeper” that is about as fast as you'd want on public roads and at the autocross track. All the mechanical systems of the car have been meticulously engineered, fabricated, restored, and proven to be extremely effective. I've had the KA in the car in naturally aspirated form since about 2008, and have 7000kms on the turbo build. All parts are as new.

The car weighs 2230lbs with a full tank of fuel and makes 275hp and 260tq at the rear wheels via 10psi. It's a rocket, and handles very well.

$25k CDN, ~$19k USD. I do have a collection of excellent used and NOS body parts that could be worked into the sale. Located in the Okanagan area of BC. Please PM or email with any questions.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/ ... 91323.html

Here's an overview of the build. I would be happy to discuss any aspect of the car in detail.

Suspension

Adjustable front and rear.

Front:
280ZX struts with Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable struts, Ground Control coilover perch with 300lb/in springs, T3 camber plates with torrington bearing upper perches. Stock length control arms with roll center adjusters and custom spherical bearings for no bind under increased caster. Caster adjustable via T3 TC rods. Crossmember flipped with custom front sway bar to accommodate the front sump KA pan.

Front end steering components are all new – 555 brand balljoints, tie rods, drag link etc. Steering box is tight and is braced.

Rear:
Specialty Engineering spring/shock setup ~1100lbs/in springs, KYB gas shocks. Byron510 adjustable rear crossmember.

Aggressive alignment setup of -2.5 deg. camber front, 0 toe, 5 deg. Caster. Rear is -1.5 deg camber and 3/8 total toe-in.

Interior

Original black door cards in excellent condition, NOS dash pad, new carpet, sound deadening applied over POR 15'd floors – no rust. 4 point roll bolt-in roll bar,

Recaro passenger seat and OMP bucket driver seat. RCI camlock 5pt harnesses. Momo leather steering wheel.

Full Autometer gauge package with speedometer, tach, volts, oil temp, oil press, water temp, boost and Innovate wideband O2 with XD16 gauge on column. Also custom made thermocouple temp gauge which measures ambient temp and actual post-intercooler/water meth intake air temp at throttle body.

Engine

2.4L KA24DE. Stock bottom end, refreshed with new seals and all of the numerous supporting modifications to be installed into the 510.

Running a Volkswagen VR6 radiator with temp switch controlling dual electric fans. Fully shrouded ducting has proven to stay cool on 40 degree C drives.

Precision Turbo 3231E 50 trim turbo, T3 .48 a/r turbine spools instantly and the T4 .60a/r compressor is currently set for 10psi via Turbosmart adjustable valve.

Custom stainless manifold, recirculated Turbosmart 38mm wastegate, DSM recirculated blow off valve, Audi turbo intercooler core with fabricated end tanks with air duct behind high beam.

Large oil cooler with remote mount oil filter, -10AN hose with Earl's oil thermostat that warms oil to 150f prior to running through the cooling system.

Engine Management

Nistune type 3 full programmable ECU. Innovate wideband O2 w/XD16 gauge. Mapped for 10psi and water methanol injection. Running cleaned and flowed 370cc injectors @ 85% duty cycle through stock S13 MAF.

Fuel System

510 tank with added sump, inline 255 lph pump, 100 micron and 10 micron Aeromotive fuel filters. 3/8 hardlines running to fuel rail and 370cc injectors.

AEM methanol injection system with reservoir and tank mounted in trunk. PWM controlled to start spraying at 2psi, full flow by 10psi, via 350cc nozzle at the throttle body. The system is very effective and cools the outlet from the compressor down to ambient.

Exhaust

Handmade 2.5'' TIG welded stainless steel from downpipe to tailpipe. Features bellows on the wastegate recirculation tube and at the intersection to the main pipe. Constructed in 3 pieces, via 2 V-band flanges and one slip fit at the rear crossmember, it can be removed from the car very quickly for maintenance purposes. A straight-through Magnaflow SS muffler is fitted.

Brakes

Wilwood Dynalite 4 piston calipers up front on 280zx rotors, Wilwood Dynalite 2 piston rear calipers on 200sx rotor. New 280Zx 15/16'' master cylinder with stainless steel dash 3 lines. Wheel bearings front and rear are new.

Driveline

Custom adapted L series 6 bolt flywheel was machined via Specialty Engineering to mate the KA crank and run the 200mm Roadster clutch. This setup has proven very capable and reliable in handling ~250 ft/lbs RWTQ.

240sx 5 speed transmission has been gone through and all seals refreshed, unused sensors plugged, currently running MT90 fluid. Also has B&M short shifter.

Shortened driveshaft is turning a modified Subaru 4.11 CLSD. LSD was rebuilt, and breakaway torque increased over stock. Lash and tooth pattern checked and adjusted. Stock half-shafts were rebuilt.

Wheels/Tires

15x7 +12mm front, 15x7 +30mm rear Rota RB's on 205/50/15 Kumho Ecsta XS

butters68
Supporter

Re: FS: 1972 Datsun 510 2 door Turbo

Post by butters68 »

man i would like to by your car matt, i'm hopping to have my money in 3 to 4 weeks. if it's still for sale then well. :mrgreen:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
msaunders
Supporter

Post by msaunders »

Car has been sold locally to a good home. I've encouraged the new owner to join the Realm and document his plans for the car, which he plans to do. Thanks.

Matt
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Congrats Matt. That is a really sweet proven package. Well bought I'd say
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Matt,

I know this was a decision that was likely hard but life does move on!

Know this...That day we did a drive up the Duffy Lake, and you asked me if you were holding me up.....Like Hell you were...you had tons of torque that actually made me work at staying with you other than the tightest corners.....I always thought you had done one of the best swaps and if I was a younger guy, that is the route I would have taken!!!!

I guess we won't see you at Bromley?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
msaunders
Supporter

Post by msaunders »

Thanks for the kind words Keith and Henk.

Keith, I look forward to trying to keep up with your car with my future build.. that will always be the reference point moving forward!

I’ll see you at Bromley Rock next weekend, looking forward to catching up.

Matt