With asap front brake hose in Calgary

Post your forsale and wanted ads
MikeY

With asap front brake hose in Calgary

Post by MikeY »

I'm in Calgary swapping struts on my son's 510. Need a front brake line. At this point used would be fine. We have an autocross on Sunday. No local parts places have one. Did find and ordered a zx one. Not sure how close they are. Thanks
My cell is 2502505102 for quickest reply.
Mike
RMS
Supporter

Re: With asap front brake hose in Calgary

Post by RMS »

I noticed there's a green line hose and fittings in calgary. they made up stainless flex lines for me in under an hour. you could also try new line
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Thanks Robyn for the lead on new hoses. The zx one came this afternoon and while it's a little shorter , it will work. Were installing zx struts and brakes. Crises averred.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Oh sure, the one day I don't watch this place like a hawk, someone local needs something I could have helped with.
Glad you got something that works, if you want a different, better/longer one, let me know. PM me or better yet email at z240@shaw.ca
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping a problem was a way to meet a local. Now I've got the.hose on and everything hooked up and bleed the pedal is very spongy. I think I am now looking for a 13/16 master to go with the zx calipers.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Spongy is not a sympton of an incorrectly sized master. Air is still present. Have you bled the master back into itself?
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The brakes were stock 510 and pedal felt fine. There should have been no reason for air to get into the master. But I did bleed it and it was fine. I am at a bit of a loss. I rebuild the zx calipers as you can't buy rebuild ones. Can't see how I could have f that job up. New pistons and a seal. The brakes work and it doesn't pull. But it's a terrible pedal. Almost goes to the floor. No autocross on Sunday is I can't figure this out. There is no chance of finding a 13/16 master in Calgary asap. I guess I should try to bleed again.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

how tight are the rears adjusted ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Mike,

If it's a pedal travel issue, and not air in the lines, the stock 510 M/C is 13/16". You want to step up to the S30 -Z 7/8" or S130 ZX 15/16" from 79-81 (82-83 swapped the orientation of the mounting flange from vertical to horizontal).

Hope that helps.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I've got a new 15/16 master if you want to try it.

So you have more travel than you like, but do the brakes work well once you get to a point where you get some resistance or is it still mushy?

Didn't mount the calipers on the wrong side? Bleeders on top? Just throwing out any possibility I can think of

You haven't had the master off the booster or changed the master did you?
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

We just went out and tried to work on the rears. Adjusted them and tried to bleed. Started with the master. Had bleed the front ,or rearward resivior and it was fine. But when we went to do the rears or forward resiviour, the master wouldn't curculate right. So now I'm thinking replace the master. We ordered one from rockauto. Won't be here in time for me to help. Weather looks poor for an autocross anyway. Although it was snowing today but calling for sun on Sunday. We ordered a 13/16 thinking it was the larger. You would think I knew everything by now. Apparently not. But I've always been happy with the stock master and zx front brakes. So it's a place to start. Justin will be able to replace a master. Have to pass the torch sometime.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

The pedal feels mushy and around the floor will grab. Is a 15/16 too large. I'm worried were waisting our time taking zkcars up on his one and finding it wrong. Maybe waiting for the 13/16 is the way to go. Were looking around town for the 7/8. With no luck.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Found a 7/8 the and will be here Friday morning. Hopefully that works. Tried all the big auto parts places but Bowness auto came through.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Good old Bowness Auto. Glad you found something.
I'm around until Friday noonish, then we'll be out of town for the weekend for a wedding.
Good luck at the Autocross, wish I could be there.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

A 7/8 M/C works perfect for thatZX front brakes, the 15/16 is a little bit stiffer, it it’s amazing how much less travel there is on the pedal for the 1/16” extra bore.

The only item to be mindful of on this swap is how much the rear brakes are working, or should I say how little they are working. Pad and shoe materials really effect this, but I found the with all stock type pad and shoe materials that the rear brakes are doing very little - which was good in the dry as you could really jump on the brakes and not worry about the back doing something scary, but it the wet where you can’t get that the weight transfer, you really notice that you have only front brakes for the most part and your stopping distances do increase. This is simply because you have more leverage on the front wheels. Again, pad material plays a huge part in how dramatic this difference will be. Guys using metal pads on the front back in the day found the opposite- where they’d lock up the rears first because there wasn’t enough heat in the front pads to work well, and due to dissimilar materials the rear stock brakes reacted instantly as they didn’t need that bit of heat to grab. Just be mindful as the dynamics of the car will change.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.