Need Front Fenders

Post your forsale and wanted ads
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh » 16 Oct 2003 10:45

ture. but you can rebiuld an L series in a few nights. and parts are pretty cheap.

Boaty

Post by Boaty » 16 Oct 2003 13:29

Yup. Master rebuild kit is about $400 here (US), taht comes with all gaskets, all bearings, camshaft, total top end rebuild (New valves too I believe, not sure tho), oil pump, water pump, and hell. It even comes with a manual.

Happy hunting!
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE

Notoriu$

Post by Notoriu$ » 17 Oct 2003 13:43

Blk68510 wrote: Your in richmond, if you want to see how an engine swap goes in one of these cars im installing an L20b in my car this friday, if you want to come over and help out (im in richmond as well) or just to watch, MSN me or something.
whoa, thanks for the generous offer dude, i really appreciate it, and everyone from this forums help.

i would love to take u up on this offer but friday aint no good for me, i gotta work and i gotta help my friend take his drivers side control arm off and replace it. but if i got any questions i know who to ask. thx again.

DannyQ

things to think about....

Post by DannyQ » 17 Oct 2003 17:29

8) Hey Notoriu$

The car your looking at kinda reminds me of my car when I bought it, exept I live in Ontario the "land of salt on the roads" I'm 30 now and I work on cars for a living, But I remember 17 very well And I think that if you take on that car for a project you might get discouraged real quick.

I've been down the restoration quite a few times now (70 mustang 71 mustang 65 acadian...) And I can tell you once you take a grinder to that thing your gonna open a whole new can of worms.

Check out my posted pics in the members section on page 2 (dan's 72 ka 510) You'l notice alot of similaritys between my car and the one your looking at. I'm lucky (sorta) I used to own a body shop and have good buddies that still work there now. The work you see on my car we did in 9 days, start to finish. I put in 16 hour days 5 days in a row and was working at my job in between. (I sent my wife and kids to calgary to get the time to work on my car... that cost me a long weekend of putting a long block in my neighbor's cube van so I could pay for the airline tickets)

All this rambling is just to say, be careful what you spend youre money on when it comes to cars. You say you have six grand to "play" with, do yourself a favor there is a hell of alot more 510's out west then there is out here so don't be in hurry, drive that saturn wagon around untill you find a better dime, spend a few more bucks, but then you can get that quick fix feeling when you can turn the key and (hopefully) go!!!

Btw I only paid 400.00$ for mine less L16/auto.

Good luck..... Dannyq

DannyQ

things to think about....

Post by DannyQ » 17 Oct 2003 17:30

8) Hey Notoriu$

The car your looking at kinda reminds me of my car when I bought it, exept I live in Ontario the "land of salt on the roads" I'm 30 now and I work on cars for a living, But I remember 17 very well And I think that if you take on that car for a project you might get discouraged real quick.

I've been down the restoration quite a few times now (70 mustang 71 mustang 65 acadian...) And I can tell you once you take a grinder to that thing your gonna open a whole new can of worms.

Check out my posted pics in the members section on page 2 (dan's 72 ka 510) You'l notice alot of similaritys between my car and the one your looking at. I'm lucky (sorta) I used to own a body shop and have good buddies that still work there now. The work you see on my car we did in 9 days, start to finish. I put in 16 hour days 5 days in a row and was working at my job in between. (I sent my wife and kids to calgary to get the time to work on my car... that cost me a long weekend of putting a long block in my neighbor's cube van so I could pay for the airline tickets)

All this rambling is just to say, be careful what you spend youre money on when it comes to cars. You say you have six grand to "play" with, do yourself a favor there is a hell of alot more 510's out west then there is out here so don't be in hurry, drive that saturn wagon around untill you find a better dime, spend a few more bucks, but then you can get that quick fix feeling when you can turn the key and (hopefully) go!!!

Btw I only paid 400.00$ for mine less L16/auto.

Good luck..... Dannyq

Boaty

Post by Boaty » 17 Oct 2003 17:35

I can relate - I am quickly getting discouraged with my dime. Sure, my dime is fairly good in terms of rust, with only minimal surface rust popping up at the bottom of the doors, etc, and the floorpan is nice nad rusty.

But it's got so many dents, the body-guy I talked to laughed in my face, telling me to get rid of my Jap peice of crap.

Quickly discouraging. I have an L20B, with not a single bolt to go along with it, and it's going to need new pistons, a complete rebuild from top to bottom. Plus the body work.

I'm looking at $6000 before I even get to get my nice paint job. It's still a lot cheaper than a new honda, like my mom wants me to have, but hey, I like myoldschool jap peice of crap, and I'm willing to put the money into it.

I'm discouraged, a lot. But at the time it was my only option, and 2-doors are hard to come by.

Good luck on finding a nice straight dime.
Talk atcha.
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE

///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh » 18 Oct 2003 16:12

once agian I think you are takign it to the wrong place. you need to find a place that doesn;t have a thing agianst imports. sorry but soem of those mechanic/body guess have thier heads so far up their ass' if its not a "domestic" its not a real car! Cuz its an import its harder to work on blah blah. find anoither place. I quoted some 1500 for all the body work mine minus the rust fixing. they said thats part of a restoration and they dont; do that. fair enough. that also won;t be the engine bay and blah blah.., big deal I can do that myself.

anyways.. 6000 seems WAY to much... you could buy a mind VG/KA 510 for that heh.

Boaty

Post by Boaty » 18 Oct 2003 18:55

Yes I know.

Given I had $6000, I would already HAVE a VG30 dime. I seen one on something.. can't remember, it was a DOHC model (TIGHT ENGINE BAY. Not sure, but It looked so tight you'd have to pull the motor to change the PLUGS!) Anyways, it was being prepped for a turbo. Dude. Turbo DOHC VG. I didn't know that would FIT in a 510! Anyways, it WAS DONE. So it has to be possible.

I thought like.. holy shit.. that would.. decimate.. most.. all?
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE

Notoriu$

Post by Notoriu$ » 18 Oct 2003 22:47

well i heard that the VG30DETT dont fit, but im not sure about a single turbo VG.

But whats the weight of a VG compared to that of an L series engine. cause would it affect the handling characteristics so much that the car would turn into a drag monster and loose it's handling abilities? ( i dont actually know anything about the handling of a 510 as i have never driven one, but im assuming by the weight and distribution of that weight that the car handles very well).

ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 » 28 Oct 2003 17:15

Notoriu$ wrote:well i heard that the VG30DETT dont fit, but im not sure about a single turbo VG.

But whats the weight of a VG compared to that of an L series engine. cause would it affect the handling characteristics so much that the car would turn into a drag monster and loose it's handling abilities? ( i dont actually know anything about the handling of a 510 as i have never driven one, but im assuming by the weight and distribution of that weight that the car handles very well).
Well a VG30DETT will fit...........with major mods to the engine compartment. There is a guy in Oregon who did one.

///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh » 28 Oct 2003 19:25

anything fits

D510

Post by D510 » 28 Oct 2003 23:56

i like the intercoolers with the vents going through the hood. thats just sweet.
-1988 Red Jaguar Solvereign, Cold Airintake, Exhaust, Tint, Alpine Sound System.
-1972 Black 2dr Datsun 510, slammed with Built L20B

Notoriu$

Post by Notoriu$ » 03 Nov 2003 18:40

///FiveOneOh wrote:anything fits

true, any engine will fit into any car...if you have enough money