long weekend drive

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: long weekend drive

Post by bertvorgon »

We will use this as the GoPro test session. Shall we cruise up to Cypress? I don't think Greg was prepared to have slippers at the door for me, I like the ones with the little Bunny ears.
Shall we meet at 7:30 ish? And, do we want to walk around the small loop up there? Anybody else coming, Paul.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan »

Sure, I'll be there at 730, Cypress should be fun!
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Have fun guys, I just got out of the pool! Keith, could you and Bryon get some video of Paul's 'goon for me please? Wish I could come too.
Jason
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, we will all be driving Paul's wagon, doing timed runs up Cypress, then, we will be seeing how it handles gravel roads. Rumour has it that a 510 wagon can get 4 feet of air and land with minimal damage. We're going to check that out!

The weather man is changing his tune about tommorrow, so will have to see what this afternoon brings. Stay tuned.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Awesome, big power slides on gravel, rocks and dust everywhere, is Bertvorgon strapping on the new warp braking system and seeing of the seats still hold into the car on full stop?
Jason
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Oh yes, my Vorgon Decelerator...............
Attachments
Bert Vorgon Decelerator in action
Bert Vorgon Decelerator in action

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm in.
I have some time today, I think I'll look at a bumper mount for the GoPro, see what I can come up with.
See you all tomorrow am at the plant.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
supersportsedan
Supporter

I heard the vorgon decelerator could actually stop time.

And for the record, I think James' wagon has the record for big air.
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

Keith ,you all are more than welcome to come anytime.I was out all day yesterday so
did not see what you all were up to .Let me know what you decide.
Oh and i`m sorry to say keith my bunny slippers are in the wash :)
How about the ones with the elephant trunks on them :lol:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks for the offer Greg, but, as I am particular to Bunny slippers, we will pass this time.

We are going to meet at the plant at 7:30 - 8:00 , rig up the cameras, and go for a drive to Cypress.
Anybody else wants/welcome to come. The trail up there is just a gravel path, so you can leave your climbing ropes home for this one.

We can view the video when we get back to the plant.

My passenger seat is free......

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Jason, the drive went well, but, good news and bad news.

The bad news... is that we were disappointed at the amount of jumps the wagon actually did, with no more than two feet of air!

the good news..it was amazing that the 3M Black duct tape that Home Depot carries, is an exact match to the colour and shine of the wagon! From 20 feet away the fenders and rockers look almost perfect. Spray some cooking oil on your glasses, and it all will be good. :wink: Pual thought it was funny when I missed a shift, and just kissed the garbage container. That will buff out no problem. I think Andy has syncros in stock.

Interesting note: The commonality of motorsport/car enthusiasts around the world, was again shown today. When we got back from our walk, and back to the 3 510's, an obviously Japanese group had just arrived in the lot. We could see them looking very intently at the cars, SPECIALLY the older gentlemen, likely about my age. Our sense was they knew the cars...so...Byron said...BLUEBIRD....wham..one fellow stops and goes back to Byron's car, to look at it. As his wife stopped and turned around to watch...she says to me, i perfect english...."oh, we will be here all day!!!!" I just cracked up, common thread of racing wives...I have one, so I know. The fellows parting sentence to us was when he was younger...he had the legendary Skyline GTR! He looked like he would have rather stayed and talked to us instead of hiking.

GoPro Test:

The HI sound setting is absolutely useless, Byron and I had the same cat scream on our cameras, what a joke, it serves no usefull function, other than recording butterfys flying. My engine is just that quiet, based on the RUN BEYOND HOPE video, as Byron did a quick test run with his, and his induction noise is sweet. That is why Collin's THUNDERHILL video is so good...300HP of KA induction noise! So, the LOW setting is the way to go, no matter what the camera is used for, for the most part. Video is no issue, as tested previously.

Edit: Paul, I just watched the Video, some good stuff when you passed me going up. I will burn that to a disc for you!

Pictures to follow.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 01 Sep 2008 16:03, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Law
supersportsedan
Supporter

Yup, good fun today, although Knight street is a work in progress.

It was fun to watch the Japanese gentlemen (and their wives) pointing and chattering away at our "bluebirds", and I think the parting phrase from the guy that stuck around was "Skyline GTR"!!!

jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Sweet, black duct tape! 2' of air, someone has to lose some weight methinks :twisted: ! I wish I coulda come out today, spent the morning on the ferry and the afternoon so far training a new truck driver in cargo clearance and customs procedures. Glad you guys had a nice day out there though. Yah, Knight Road is kinda sketchy these days too, makes the Sea to Sky look tame sometimes, like rush hour! Fun stuff. May I have some video too of today Uncle Keith, pretty please :D ?

Thanks
Jason
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

bertvorgon wrote:Rumour has it that a 510 wagon can get 4 feet of air and land with minimal damage. We're going to check that out!
its no rumour :shock: ...but w/o pix, did it happen :?:

oh yeah! :twisted:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

hang_510 wrote:
bertvorgon wrote:Rumour has it that a 510 wagon can get 4 feet of air and land with minimal damage. We're going to check that out!
its no rumour :shock: ...but w/o pix, did it happen :?:

oh yeah! :twisted:
I think Keith was referring to Brett C's video from many years ago - he repeatedly jumped a 510, easily clearing a standard metal stacking chair by a few feet. I seem to remember it took around 15 jumps and HARD landings to break a T/C rod or strut or whatever it was. That was a very funny video. Next time I see Malcolm, I'll ask him to ask Brett if that video is still around in some form.