OCTOBERFAST 2008

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
Byron510

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2008

Post by Byron510 » 25 Oct 2008 04:42

Just headed out the door (4:40), see you all soon.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Blk68510

Post by Blk68510 » 25 Oct 2008 10:46

Well, for the short part of it that I was on it was a great cruise!

510rob

Post by 510rob » 25 Oct 2008 20:13

What happened Ray?

Blk68510

Post by Blk68510 » 25 Oct 2008 21:37

Lets just say i need a new oil pump amongst other things...

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 25 Oct 2008 23:11

9:45pm, finally got home, just dropped Cam off at home and haven't had dinner yet :twisted: ! What a great day for a cruise, lots of fun!
Jason

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 26 Oct 2008 09:04

Well, that was a day! Not bad for our 35 year old cars, almost 500 miles under our belts, with a very high average speed. Spectacular scenery also, the golden trees were just glowing along the Spences Bridge section, and around Princeton. We had some good, open sections, but, as luck would have it, we had traffic in four of the really good areas. That being said, Cam rode in my car for awhile and we had a couple of good blasts, with the other Cam and Byron. I gave him a demo of how my car goes up those steep hills :wink: !

Sorry about your car Ray...hope it's not too bad. On the positive...it did not happen out on the Great Rolling Dyno, 100's of miles from home.

The cameras.....I think I have found one of the most frustrating things in my life... these cameras :cry: . My GOPRo kept shutting off after a few minutes, which I am thinking is a cold battery issue. So, I got nothing on the Spences Bridge section. Nor did my roll bar mounted Samsung, for whatver reason did not record filming out the back. I have used it all summer on my bike helemt, and it has not missed a beat, filmed the whole go-cart race, not missed a beat...fart! It did film the section from Princeton, which I have not watched yet. The GOPRO did film the section from Princeton also, where the temp was a bit warmer, at least till Manning Park. It appears Byron's GOPRO worked ok, we have not reviewed that yet either, but it appears to have recorded. We WILL have enough footage to put together a DVD...watch for your Christmas stocking stuffers.

Speaking of Byrons GOPRO, we stopped at a pull out just past Lytton, to gather everyone, and check out our camera settings. Then, we blasted another 20 minutes down the road. There, we planned to actually fire up the cameras to film the Spences Bridge section...Byron did NOT have his camera!!!! It seems he set in on the trunk, forgot about it...and off we went. he and his Dad blasted BACK to the pullout...and there it still was!!!! LUCKY. But, during one of the sections, a rock came up and very carefully decided it could hit that 1/2" circle and bust the lens cover on the case!!!! Holy Crap. Overall, between the crappy sound, hit or miss performance, I don't think we are too happy with the overall performance of these things. If mine was a cold battery issue...why did it record from Princeton, as my intake air temp was actually very consistant through the day, at about the mid 50 F. point. Only othere thing I can think of is that the two sets of batteries I started with ( fully charged), maybe had not cycled anough to actually have a full charge, or longevity. The last set was possibley the set I have used and charged for most of the past events.They are NiMh, so who knows what their idiosyncrasies are!

As I also forgot my digital still camera, could everyone e-mail me pictures from the day please!!! Deni got some tremendous shots that we reviewed at Boston Pizza over lunch.

Thanks to all that came out, specially Cam who came over from the Island, for making this another great 510 day...8 510's at that....out on the Great Rolling Dyno of B.C.'s highways.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 26 Oct 2008 09:43

Morning all, well, another cruise and another story, we actually started out with 10 cars that morning Keith with Ray's Z being the early casualty. Sorry about that Ray, I hope it works out for you. We had 9 510's up on through to the Merrit lunch break and 7 back on through to Princeton. Awesome group, great drive and magnificent scenery. Thanks for another great Octoberfast Keith!

I started to download pictures off of my camera this morning and discovered that I only had 19 images for the whole trip :? ? I then remembered that Denis had taken my memory card out of the camera and downloaded the other 120+ pictures off the card to his laptop, but, somehow erased them off of my camera card. I'll head over there today and get what's left of them off his laptop, he seems to have deleted some of them already :cry: ...

Boy, I think I'm writing up my last part of the cruise for the newsletter, 3 extra hours to make it home and it's all Denis's fault :twisted: ! Well, perhaps Cam B. also, but, I'll tell that story later....
Jason

vgwagon

Post by vgwagon » 26 Oct 2008 09:55

jason wrote: I then remembered that Denis had taken my memory card out of the camera and downloaded the other 120+ pictures off the card to his laptop, but, somehow erased them off of my camera card. I'll head over there today and get what's left of them off his laptop, he seems to have deleted some of them already :cry: ...

Boy, I think I'm writing up my last part of the cruise for the newsletter, 3 extra hours to make it home and it's all Denis's fault :twisted: ! Well, perhaps Cam B. also, but, I'll tell that story later....
Hey now :twisted:
I just took a look you liar, there is only 114 pics and I haven't deleted any of them.......yet!
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 26 Oct 2008 10:03

Hmm... I thought I had more than that, Oh well, I do apologize for getting the number wrong buddy 8) . I sure had fun shooting those Denis, lots of getting bounced around by Andrew playing with the camera and I'm sure a bunch aren't any good at all .... Oh well, should be fun playing with them though. I'll call you later this am, I've got to get onto work now...
Jason

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 26 Oct 2008 10:09

I just wrote a huge artical explaing the day - and lost it on the Realm cyber Black Hole... S**T

To frustrated to rewrite the two pages worth. Maybe I'll rewrite later it and sent in to Denis for publication.....

BlaaaahhhHHHHHH! :(

Byron

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 26 Oct 2008 10:10

Oh yah, I forgot to count myself..I had not had my coffe yet this morning.

As I am reviewing yesterday in my mind, one comment on tires. This is the second spirited drive on the Yokohama 048 tires, Like the last generation on 032's, these are a spectacular tire. I run them 28 PSI cold. Their turn-in is excellent, and their ability to hold the line on extreme toss in is very, very good. Obviously having a good suspension to utilize this is important, but, as an overall, safe tire with incredible limits of adhesion, this tire is not to be overlooked when looking for a super performing street tire. Even in the wet (not flood) I had a good feel of adhesion when we went through some fast , wet corners through the Canyon. There is enough compliance in the sidewall too (205/50 x 15), that they are able to absorb some severe bumps very well, yet still transmit excellent road input back to the steering wheel. We hit some rather large dips/bumps up one of the hills under full boost/speed, and at no time did I feel the car was going to do anything other than hold it's line. Maybe Cam could comment on that!

NOBODY hit the delete button yet!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 26 Oct 2008 10:17

Byron, If I an writing something long, I do it in WORD, then cut and paste. I too have lost some stuff before Rob told me this trick. Frustrating as hell when that happens.

Keith Law

McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 » 26 Oct 2008 10:30

What a great day! Actually using our cars for what we've built them for. No problems with my FILM camera, ha ha. This was the first run with the new tires-rims-rear suspension and it worked good, held the road excellent! Stuck behind some hunters on the Crows Nest seemed trivial compared to the BS traffic on the No.1 Highway! Goddamn Rubberneckers!!!!! Then spent an hour cleaning the green machine at work with pressure washer, top to bottom. Long day, but WELL worth it. Thanks guys!

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 26 Oct 2008 10:36

Yep, and you know - I should know better!

My dad jointed me for the day to see the country side, and did enjoy all of your company. He noted traction, from the passengers’ point of view, and said the same thing. He was sure we were going to launch off the road many times, especially on the wet corners in the morning. He was truly amazed at the traction we had, and ability to hold the road under such load, at the rate of speed that took some corners, in the wet. Throughout the whole day, he had felt the tires a few times testing both warmth of the tread, sidewall and overall softness of the surface- it was something that really impressed him all day long.
Just as a note for all reading this, I am running the older Yoho A032R 215/50-13's on the Bronze.

Dad had an interesting comment as I talked with him after he got home. After spending the day in the stiff and relatively non compliant Bronze, he got into his 2006 Pathfinder, started to drive away and thought to himself- there something loose and not right here! But as he noted, if our cars were set up soft and comfy, we just couldn’t get the feel that we do have and make use of the traction that is available when everything does work.

These are the ultimate tests for our cars, 500 miles in on the road in 12 hours; some rain, real roads with ruts and heaves and varying surfaces, temperatures down near freezing on this run (and in June it can very, very hot), and physically challenging roads. This is a real world test, and as Mr Vorgon has always notes, it’s just the Great Rolling Dyno.

Byron

510rob

Post by 510rob » 26 Oct 2008 12:11

I missed the cruise. I sad.