Gold Coast California Fun Run - 11/07/10

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
okayfine
Supporter

Gold Coast California Fun Run - 11/07/10

Post by okayfine »

Seeing as how there are a decent number of 510 owners here on The Realm from Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, I've been talking about putting together some sort of meet or fun run. We've got tons of great roads, so let's drive 'em!

So, let's talk routes and days - where are people interested in going and when are they interested in going there?

We could revive the old UFOSoCal run to Solvang:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 75&t=h&z=9

Or revive the ol' route from SoCal to meet up with the NorCal UFO crowd in Santa Maria:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... F8&t=h&z=9

Or someone that knows the backroads better than I do can suggest a route. Thoughts, suggestions?
Last edited by okayfine on 14 Sep 2010 06:59, edited 2 times in total.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Re: Gold Coast California Fun Run

Post by hang_510 »

connect the two and make a BIG loop :mrgreen:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Sign me up, I'd be more into the Solvang run, but that's just because I am coming form an hour South. Maybe a weekend in Oct when it could potentially be cooler and less trafficky? I am out of town the weekend of the 9th but an open calendar otherwise.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Who else do we PM to get 'em in here?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

First route looks like more fun. The 166 is pretty boring IMO, not that I have a road worthy 510 anyways. Maybe next year by JCCS? That would be nice...
I'm your huckleberry.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Okay, so Matt's out.... who else?
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

defdes wrote:Okay, so Matt's out.... who else?
What, I can't drive my 92 accord with 227k tired miles on it? :cry:
I'm your huckleberry.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

thisismatt wrote:
You wanna' ride a bike instead? :D
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

defdes wrote:
thisismatt wrote:
You wanna' ride a bike instead? :D
Motorbike? Are you offering? :P
I'm your huckleberry.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

thisismatt wrote:
no you can't.

just like I don't take my '88 Jetta w/ ~400000km on it. you just look bad, and always win in the economy competition! :lol:
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
James

Post by James »

I might be able to break away - if you don't mind a rusty stockish 4 door tagging along (I'll keep up - I promise) My other car is going through transmission upheaval that will definitely not be fixed by then.....I agree - when it is cooler will be better (Although - early october can be hot....)
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

James, you and I can stick together, I don't drive fast in my old age (and some of the 192 isn't really fast road anyway).

Cooler is fine (but here in SoCal you never know, could be 50 on Christmas, could be 80). To put a day forth (not to PICK a day, just to suggest a starting point for discussion), perhaps the 6th of November, a Saturday? I haven't checked to see if anything is going on in Solvang that day (not that it would impact us too greatly).

Currently the DOT lists no restrictions for the 150/192/154 route. Provided fires don't do damage in the mean time, we'll be in long before the rain.
amwalker
Supporter

Post by amwalker »

I'm in!!! I prefer the Solvang route because it starts right down the street from me. So if someone needs pre-drive assistance we can take care of it at my house. Any time after the week of the 25th of October is good. I'll be traveling a lot till then.
71 510: 4-Door, KA swap, Work in progress (Race)
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Sounds good...putting the 5th on my dry erase calendar.
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

I'd be up for it. I'm with Hang- run the big loop! I'd have a hard time rolling through Ojai without hitting 33. From 33 take 166 west but cut off south at Tepusquet (kick assroad!) and bypass Santa Maria. Tepusquet was freshly paved right before last year's SoCal TT. The boring slog from 33 on 166 is worth it! Rejoin 101 in Orcutt (?) head south to San Marcos Pass, cut off on Stagecoach, then Camino Cielo, down Gibraltar Rd. to 192/150 into Santa Paula, and scatter for home. That would be a good drive!

A short clip from the TT last year on Tepusquet Rd:
http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphot ... hoto=19749

BTW- SoCal TT is Oct 10/11. Runs many of those roads and a whole lot more. PM me if interested. We need more 510s on the TT!