NEW B.C. SPEEDING LAWS

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

NEW B.C. SPEEDING LAWS

Post by bertvorgon » 04 Sep 2010 10:04

I was not sure where to post this…so I thought EVENTS might be the best.

As I’m sure most of us B.C.’s know now, the new draconian speeding law comes into effect Sept 20.

What this says is that if you are 40 KMH over the posted limit…there is a MANDATORY fine and impound of your car!!!! The fine is from $368.00 - $483.00, 3 points on your license, $320.00 added to your ICBC insurance, as a “risk” premium, plus the storage charge.
This law is going to have a profound effect on our cruises, at least speaking for myself. The thoughts of BILLY BOB towing our car away, to be STUFFED into some impound yard, is a nightmare beyond belief.
When I think of how quickly my car accelerates to way beyond the speed limit, to then get tagged by moving radar through a corner…..
And, just our higher rate of steady cruise at times, would get ALL of us gone……

Think of even some of those downhill sections in B.C., where the police have set up traps…this is going to be an eye opener for a lot of people here.

The police do not have a discretionary take on this either…it is MANDATORY……

If..there is a second offence…it is a 30 day impound, plus fines….imagine what that would cost…

Again, personally speaking, as I know I have had my moments at high speed, this is going to bring a fundamental shift to my driving, out on the Great Rolling Dyno.

As OCTOBERFAST is just around the corner, I have been thinking that we should do a run to MNT. BAKER anyhow, as that is a nice drive, with a good photo op up top.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Excessive+s ... /story.htm

as I think about this even more...having an expensive sports or exotic car in B.C. is just a waste of money
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

510rob

Re: NEW B.C. SPEEDING LAWS

Post by 510rob » 04 Sep 2010 10:27

This whole issue sounds like a sham to me - they certainly have proposed these changes and led lawmakers to draft draconian changes to the current regs. and acts, yet something makes me think it's another Campbell Gov't. BS stunt where they will, only at the 11th hour, "listen" to the appeals of this so-called democracy and soften the policy. In psychology, it is called Door In The Face (DITF) persuasion. Not too genius of a title for the phenomenon, but we are all familiar with it; ask mom for the BIG cookie knowing that she will say no, but it will be easier to request a small cookie after the big one is shot down...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door-in-the-face_technique

Irony = Steve Martin is the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles in BC???

"while the province will not necessarily deploy more police to crack down on speeders come Sept. 20, traffic enforcement will be fully aware of the new laws and motivated to enforce them." No more tow trucks, just more power in the hands of the policing staffs - they should also issue a mandatory taser session for disobedient drivers! Bzzzzzzzzt! Slow down!

Start investing in towing companies now, because they are going to get VERY busy if this farce is carried out.

...we all live in a Yellow Sub... errr, Po-lice State, a Po-lice State, a Po-lice State...

Time to re-assess the validity of the statement "BC is the best place to live in the whole wide world!"

I have an idea - how about safety inspections, and driver education programs (including a section on kinematics/physics) for ALL drivers.

or, we all bow our heads and let the noose tighten, one rope-bump at a time, until we are asphyxiated by the rope, before we've even hung ourselves from general complacence and apathy.

Also, makes me wonder what they are distracting us away from - oh yeah, the HST tax scam, I almost forgot.

butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 » 04 Sep 2010 12:02

well i guess its octoberslow now :wink:
every mornning i'm doing 120 to160 in spots from coquitlam to mapleridge ,now i have to drive beside all thoughs shitty drivers that don't look when they change lanes. i can see the 240 take'n more hits. :x
ding ding dong dong all night long long.

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 04 Sep 2010 12:09

Youch, that is draconian. I wish they would have legislated it under a "street racing" clause instead of a general catch all .... I guess our scenic cruises will be of a different flavour now ... I don't mind the thought of Mt. Baker at all Keith, I haven't been up there in a long while ...
Jason

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 04 Sep 2010 13:33

510rob wrote:I have an idea - how about safety inspections, and driver education programs (including a section on kinematics/physics) for ALL drivers.
Poppycock. Why fix the problem? Just rake in the dough.

I have not had to take any driving test (written or actual) nor in any way demonstrate my competence behind the wheel or understanding of vehicle code laws (and all new ones passed) since...1989. Driver education is a joke in the US (even in CA = 6 hours training, no freeway, no night driving required) and driver continuing education is null and void.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 04 Sep 2010 14:31

Don't get me going on driver safety/education! The same is here, with the lack of driver education.
Having been a high performance/Solo teacher many years ago, you really do see what is lacking when people get behind the wheel of their car...and that was 30 years ago WITHOUT all the distractions of today..cell phones,GPS, etc.. We only teach people how to pass a test, to be given a licence.
In the past week, on my commute, it has been blocked in one way or another, everyday, with either multi car accidents, or other carnage. I still see people talking on their cell phones, even though it is now banned in B.C.. 3 weeks ago, while riding my bike along highway 99, where there is some construction going on, I watched a DUMP TRUCK ROLL! Looked like a bloody movie. I would say he was driving with his head up his ass, looking at his hood ornament, when he realized traffic was merging to one lane, and virtually stopped. He got on the brakes, which got him loose, then slightly sideways, putting it into the medium, which caused him to flip. It was shear luck that he did not continue right into oncoming traffic. The construction...is a cable barrier...because there have been so many headons..on highway 99...what does that tell you!!!!
As Rob said, people have NO idea of the dynamics of their vehicle, how to merge properly, fri''gin park it in corners, blah, blah. Each day now, I feel like I am going through a mine field, just to get safely to work. AND, THIS IS IN THE SUMMER DRY WEATHER.....WAIT TILL THE DARK AND RAIN COMES!!!!!!! AAARRGGGG!. Each year, my commute has gotten longer, with the average last year, near the end of winter, almost taking me 1 hour to get home, from what used to be 1/2 hour.

Ontario instituted this same law a few years ago, and impounded a ton of people right off the batt. I sure don't want to be one of those to get nailed, that's for sure. Really ironic when you think of the literal thousands of high speed miles we have done, with nary a problem. It's not the speed that kills, it's the moron's behind the wheel that do that.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law

McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 » 04 Sep 2010 22:35

When laws are no longer fair and just we must resort to the tactics of ...........
SPYHUNTER
Attachments
SpyHunter.jpg
SpyHunter.jpg (14.85 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
spy_hunter_smoke_screen.jpg
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100

jim.nos

Post by jim.nos » 06 Sep 2010 20:43

Just 2 notes.

1. I just found out that there is a group fighting for "our side." S.E.N.S.E BC. (Safety by Education, Not Speed Enforcement) after listening to a radio interview on CKNW with their president.

2. You could always convince the peace officer to write you up for less than what you were actually doing. This may or may not work depending on how fast you were actually going... or if the officer is being an ass.

But seriously. I was coming home from Vancouver Island this afternoon. On one part of my drive home, IIRC, a 6 lane road, posted limit of 80 km/h, the flow of traffic was doing 110 in the rain. How does 80 even make sense?

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 06 Sep 2010 22:08

Welcome to British Kolumbia.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 06 Sep 2010 23:02

jim.nos wrote: But seriously. I was coming home from Vancouver Island this afternoon. On one part of my drive home, IIRC, a 6 lane road, posted limit of 80 km/h, the flow of traffic was doing 110 in the rain. How does 80 even make sense?
I doesn't make sence at all.

RANT ALLERT!!!

We have some serious issues with how road are designed here in BC - but that is a totally different topic.

I have maintained for years that the absolute easiest way to cull down the number of cars on our roads is to simply make the existing pathetic driving test that needs to be passes now MANDATORY every 5 years when we renew out licenses. I guarantee that the failure rate would be in the 90-95% range as I see it. No scientific research – just observation.

I'm not picking on you older guys now (because everyone needs to follow the same standard),so don't get me wrong. But when the boomers - and there are a huge controlling glut of them right now - reach the age when they are truly not capable of driving, it's going to be chaos on the streets (you think it's bad now, wait another 20 years if nothing changes...). Mix this in with the different ethnic "realities" that we have out there now (at least here in BC), and it's all a bad mix that we are headed for. The simple solution is a mandatory exam and test – no fricking interpreters!! – you can’t read English on the west coast, you don’t drive – that simple (you don’t read French in Quebec – you don’t drive). And the penalties for cheating or paying off examiners (yes, it's been happening and has been rampant amongst the Asian and South Asian groups here in the Vancouver area for years) should be a 10 year ban on a license holding, with the first infraction of driving without a license being jail time and a permanent record. Make 'em dig ditches for a while and think about how our country works, and not how their country works back home. And I’m not just picking on ethnic groups here, there are equally bad drivers of all ethnic origins on hand here.

I know it sounds harsh, but the driving rules, or lack of enforcement there in, are a very serious issue. Few, if any drivers are aware of the energy stored in their 3 to6000 lb vehicles when driving down the highway. And the damage it can cause to people and other objects. There is no respect, and no accountability in the system. It’s easy to pay a slightly higher insurance premium – that’s faceless. Talk to the parents and families of those innocently killed by others incompetence. Make those drivers pay by contributing to the effected families directly. We recently had a ruling here in Vancouver a few years ago where two young South Asian guys were street racings their Camaro down SW Marine Dr. – they lost control of the car, and killed a lade walking down the sidewalk – a single mother of three children (RIP Irene) – we need to do this more often and send the right message to those who immigrate here – maybe we’re not educating them enough…but he riling I agree with What the paper don’t say is they these two open joked about killing Irene, had no care in the world for what they’d done. No apology, open or otherwise, was ever even considered by these two, and obviously no remorse for their actions. It unfortunately speaks for their communities and their immediate families – you don’t think people notice? Think again!
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... orted.html
This past weekend, I was nearly hit by an South Aisian guy in a black X3. This guy looked me strait in the eye approaching the intersection while running his red light with the “ go ahead, I simply don’t care” look. I happened to be in the right lane; there was an F350 flanking me on the imediate left, with another car on his left… I had nowhere to go. He blatantly ran a red light as I was coming though the intersection. The F350 saw it coming and moved over as far as he coule – I was half in his lane – thank god he was paying attension – I’m sure the guy on his left was thinking – “what the hell!”. My ABS hasn’t been tested in a while, but I’ll tell you that technology was in full use at that moment. After narrowly avoiding the collision, I drove off, shaking and very pissed off, but willing to go on my way. The X3 guy then flies up behind me, tailgating me and flicks on his high beams. I was furious – I’ll admit I then saw red. I pulled up next to him screaming my head off when we came to a stop – his first comment was – “are you crazy”…. I just reacted – I was furious at this point, and getting worse. “am I f**king crazy?? What the hell do you f**king call running a red light!”. He continues on, denies doing anything wrong and quite honestly believing it, and in typical fashion, denies that he’d even nearly hit me. What fricking planet are you from? “Was the only thing I could think”. You just can’t argue at this point. I really wanted to get out and tear the guy in half with my bare hands. This guy was roughly 50 years old and likely raising a family who will be carbon copies of himself. Now bear in mind there is a cultural thing going on here. I don’t mean to be racist here –this was just a person experience this past weekend, and for those who know me, they’ll know I’m pretty fair in this department. But there are a couple of prevalent groups here in southern BC who really feel that the rules don’t apply to them. These cultures are used to fighting for whatever they get back home, and really don’t care about how they get it. This same line of thinking follows these groups in their driving abilities when they immigrate to Canada. The only problem is that we’re not talking riding bicycles and horse carts here; a vehicle driven in this manner is truly dangerous.
This guy was so far out of line, I just don’t understand it… the question is what the hell do you do with people who drive their vehicles like they are weapons? And what do you do about those who are truly either incompetent, or consciously way out of line and don’t care anyways? A call to the cops to report these things goes nowhere. There is no revenue in it for the traffic cops – they aren’t interested. So where do you go? Enter road rage here. People get frustrated. There are those who follow the rules, those who stay the course, wait their turn in rush hour line ups, and then there are the pricks who figure they don’t count and do whatever they please. The traffic cops see everyone the same – all drivers are a pain in the ass to cops, just ask one. So where does that leave those who are courteous – at the back of the line? It’s just not acceptable, but I don’t know the real way to correct the attitudes. The best solution I have is education. The bad habits that people call normal are way out of line. The driving road test is significantly harder today than it was even 20 years ago, and making a mandatory test every 5 years would be a start. Not a solution, but a good start. It weeds out the completely unworthy – and there are many.

I’d happily pay the $25-$50 fee to take a road test, knowing how many drivers it would eliminate. And if I didn’t pass, I’ll need to payout of my own pocket to acquire the driving lessons necessary to pass that test. And for god sakes, can’t the government fine ever one of those bloody Chinese driving school cars lined up at each motor vehicle branch after hours and on every weekend teaching people the road test routes and how to pass them instead of teaching them how to legitimately drive – what the hell! If myself and all my friends have noticed this, why isn’t here anything done about it?

I’m going to give it a rest now, maybe I should take up drinking to relax…
But honestly, I do take this subject seriously. But I have no clout to do anything about it. So what do we do now?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

jim.nos

Post by jim.nos » 07 Sep 2010 08:25

Byron510 wrote:But I have no clout to do anything about it. So what do we do now?
We need to lobby, either with a personal letter to your MLA or a form letter to carpet bomb many MLAs and media outlets with.

I will be doing this in the next day or two.

dp61

Post by dp61 » 07 Sep 2010 16:36

And just to make things worse they announced today that Sherrifs will soon be doing traffic enforcement in BC. Imagine a couple of power-hungry cop wannabes spotting Mr. Vergon going 121 kmh in an 80 zone...

jim.nos

Post by jim.nos » 07 Sep 2010 18:15

dp61 wrote:And just to make things worse they announced today that Sherrifs will soon be doing traffic enforcement in BC. Imagine a couple of power-hungry cop wannabes spotting Mr. Vergon going 121 kmh in an 80 zone...
Don't sheriffs have jurisdictional restrictions?

If not just think of all the people who will enforce the BC MVA now:
RCMP
City Police Forces
IRSU
CVSE
CBSA
CN/CP Police
BC Forest Service
Municipal gvmt (red-light cameras)
Sheriff Service

I'm just going to say "wow."

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 07 Sep 2010 22:17

This kinda blows, I now have a daily driver that will exceed the speed limit .... In the city .... sometimes .... If there's lots of room between lights ...
Jason

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 09 Sep 2010 05:25

What do you guys think of the Hyundai Accent..........

Keith Law