NEW B.C. SPEEDING LAWS

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
butters68
Supporter

Re: NEW B.C. SPEEDING LAWS

Post by butters68 »

its hard to go slow, iv'e got it down to like 90 to 110 from 120 to 160 in the morning. :twisted:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

bertvorgon wrote:What do you guys think of the Hyundai Accent..........

I still think you have to... Go SLower!

going on the mindset that driving a slow car fast is better than a fast car going slow?

you may need this soon:

richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Ontario's law impounds at +50kph over the posted limit. If BC is doing +40kph - WOW - tough to imagine, so easy to do. You guys are going to have a lot of fun with this!

The only solution is to drive slower and watch at all times for the presence of "peace" officers. My solution is to use a REALLY slow car as a "daily driver". 1998 Suzuki Sidekick Sport 4WD with a 2.0 ltr. turbo diesel conversion (from a 1995 JDM Suzuki Escudo) . Has about 75 HP!!! but will go through almost anything - no need to shovel the snow out of the driveway until it gets over a couple of feet deep.
1969 Datsun 510 4-door (donor shell for below)
1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET (sort of broken right now)
1998 Suzuki Escudo (JDM Sidekick Sport) 2.0TD 4x4 (daily driver)
2006 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 3V 4x2 (wife's ride)
2005 & 2006 Targa Newfoundland Entrant
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yah, I've thought a LOT about this, this past week. speaking for myself, as my car routinely sees the top end of 5th gear...it will just DEMAND a profound shift in my driving and thinking. PERIOD. We are still NOT going to allow them to put a damper on our driving fun, as we will still go out and use our 510's. I for one have NO intention of having my car towed away, let alone the fines that go with that. We will have to tone down our high average cruise speed, in those areas where we would have been 40 over.
What we will do, is be thankfull that we all for the most part, have developed driving and awareness SKILLS, that let us survive out there on a daily basis, as this law does not address the real reason for the law....POOR INATTENTIVE DRIVERS! Period.
In the past ten years, I have had 3 occasions where my driving skill has let me avoid 2 t-bone situations, and one mayhem ahead of me situation.
If we come away from this draconian situation with anything, let's just be glad that we can still go out and drive our old cars. I estimate that over the 20 years we have been doing our drives, we have done in excess of 8,000 miles of high speed driving, without any issues.

See you for OCTOBERFAST!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

So, I knew it would not be long before we had our first "EVENT"...

What a stupid place to blaze along anyhow....dead end at the top

http://bc.rcmp.ca/ViewPage.action?siteN ... ntId=16714

at that speed too, he is going to get the really big fine
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

was he in daddys car ? he'll be back out doing it again after daddy pays his fines. :|
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

cops in my town took down a Semi yesterday doing 110 in a 60 zone... 7 day impound on the truck and the cargo... someone's gunna get fired.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Watching the news ticker this morning... and saw something astounding.

they impounded 339 cars in the first week!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

"Their vehicles have been impounded for seven days. In addition to the tow bill and the storage fees, they also received a violation ticket – the fine amounts ranging from $368 to $483. Drivers will receive three penalty points on their driver’s license and will have to pay an ICBC driver-risk premium of $320 per year for three years, over and above Autoplan insurance premiums. The cost of towing and storage is on average $350. With a specified penalty of $368, a driver may be required to pay additional penalties totaling over $1650. The message here is – obey the speed limit!!!! - Holly Marks, Corporal
Media Relations Officer

So they collected $559,350.00 in the first week (averaged). I'd like to know where all the loot is going because it should be put towards a better driver education system. But oh its a win/win, the fricken Olympics get paid off and "wreckless" drivers get punished. WHAT A JOKE!!

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

McShagger510 wrote: - Holly Marks, Corporal Media Relations Officer
Well, at least they got that right.

That's quite the punishment for 24mph over the limit. IME the state highway patrol wouldn't even bother pulling anyone (for speeding alone) unless they're 25kph (15mph) over the limit here on California highways. But if the trucker was doing 66/110 in a 35/60 (city street or rural highway through a city center), I could see that being a problem.

How are speed limits determined for you guys? Theoretically they use the 85th percentile here (speed 85% of people are doing on that road), and if cities set their limits lower, officers can't use radar as that, by law, makes it a speed trap.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

I've decided to become part of SENSE BC. Originally created to kill photo radar in BC, renewed mission to kill this impounding thing.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

THIS IS ABOUT MONEY!!!!!!!

I just went to my bank on Bridgeport, aand on the way I saw a huge speed trap at the end of the Knight street, at the south end. They had the radar car almost on the tail of the bridge, like a vehicle with a problem, then, on Bridgeport ( at Future shop), they had the IMPOUND area...holy crap...they had their cars on the grass, and an impound area marked with cones on Bridgeport. Some poor sods on their cell phones, letting whoever know they just lost their car, their drivers licence....my God, what a joke.....

it is these sorts of areas, that have a NORMAL flow that is way beyond the stupid posted limit, that they are going to make a KILLING on.

If these past few weeks are not a wake call for all of us......

It really does hit me as to why one would want a performance car now...what is the point really.......when you can be nailed just for accelerating into the flow of traffic if you are not watchfull.

Okfine, speeds here were kinda determined to some extent by the 85 percentile range also. Things is now though, at lot of those were determined when cars were so much crappier ( not accounting for poor drivers at anytime though) . Some of our roads and highways flow at at least 20 KM over the posted limit, which in these areas is just fine.

Keith Law
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Hmmm.... anyone want a deal on a nice, slow kei van :shock: ?
Jason
jim.nos

Post by jim.nos »

bertvorgon wrote: you can be nailed just for accelerating into the flow of traffic if you are not watchfull.
This past week, I've been practicing my legal driving. I've been driving my daily driver at or slightly below the posted limit and strictly observing suggested speeds on curves regardless of traffic flow. I've lost count of how many people have honked or flashed their lights or downshifted and passed me with their foot on the floor.

And for some reason, my fuel economy on average dropped about .6 MPG.

The best part is I may have actually become a more dangerous driver because I'm staring at my speedometer so much.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

The best part is I may have actually become a more dangerous driver because I'm staring at my speedometer so much.
EXACTLY !

People are going to be so fed up that running from the cops will be more common creating MORE carnage.

Check out this thought provoking vid where the Nightrider gets away, Ha Ha:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpMuYmDEOY
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2S_xliBHk

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R