DId my first AutoX

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: DId my first AutoX

Post by bertvorgon » 14 Jun 2011 11:38

http://www.redlineweber.com/carb-kits/auto/nissan/

Don't forget that you will need a fuel pressure regulator!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid » 14 Jun 2011 13:10

Bert can you send me some pics of the right side of the gas tank I want to see where that hose goes to. And can you explain how the set up works. I'm not looking into getting a new carb as they are 1/4 the price of a motor, but I don't mind doing the tank since it could still be a problem after going FI
looking for pass. side arm rest

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 14 Jun 2011 17:40

This is my system.

The main fuel pickup comes from the well, then, feeds over to a six port RV valve. I have a switch under my dash, on the drivers side, that lets me shunt fuel from the main tank, to the auxillary tank, should I need that. It also accomplishes the return line switching at the same time. From the RV valve, it drops down to the fuel pump, mounted on the side of the spare tire well, under the car, then it is PUSHED forward to the engine. You always want to push fuel, not suck it from any great distance. The pump mounted low obviously gives it some gravity also.

I built this for a variety of reasons. For the slaloms, I could have minimal fuel in the car, thus keeping weight down, and have either better gas or race gas in the aux tank. It also gives me an additional 2 gallons of fuel capacity, great for longer drives.

And, on some of our old CannonBall days, I would run race fuel in there, and then if I needed some "extra" power to kill a Corvette or Porsche on the top end, I'd have the octane insurance I needed...along with my cockpit adjustable boost controller. 18 - 20 PSI in my car is an awesome thing. It takes about 12 seconds or so to purge existing fuel in the line, to fill it with whatever is in the aux tank. I use a return line to the tank, so I am always getting fresh cool fuel through the system.

For what it's worth, I put the picture of my weber, which is bolted to an adapter plate(s), which is on a modfied "stock" intake truck manifold, the one that used to bolt to the heat riser on the exhuast manifold. THis gave great turbulence and mixture distribution. It has been heavily "ported" to say the least. When you consider that the factory spent zillions to design the intake....it only needed to be BIGGER!
Attachments
IMG_7492.JPG
my weber sitting on an adapter, which is bolted to a modified stock truck intake manifold.
IMG_7492.JPG (127.5 KiB) Viewed 889 times
IMG_7684_1024x768.jpg
that green button next to my hour meter is the fuel tank switch.
IMG_7684_1024x768.jpg (148 KiB) Viewed 889 times
the whole system.JPG
the whole system.JPG (133.06 KiB) Viewed 889 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid » 14 Jun 2011 21:25

That's a pretty serious set up. Thanks for the info. Its going to help out, I dont think I'm going to get this involved with it but it makes more sense to do this for the future also.
looking for pass. side arm rest