MORE
Attachments
IMGP2632_1024x577.jpg
IMGP2632_1024x577.jpg (112.53 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
IMGP2629_1024x577.jpg
IMGP2629_1024x577.jpg (211.2 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
IMGP2625_1024x577.jpg
IMGP2625_1024x577.jpg (204.51 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2011

Post by bertvorgon »

MORE
Attachments
510_07.png
510_07.png (988.91 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
IMGP2635_1024x577.jpg
IMGP2635_1024x577.jpg (163.69 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

MORE
Attachments
IMGP2641_1024x577.jpg
IMGP2641_1024x577.jpg (216.3 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
IMGP2644_1024x577.jpg
IMGP2644_1024x577.jpg (135.64 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
IMGP2639_1024x577.jpg
IMGP2639_1024x577.jpg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Last one, the "gang" of regulars, ready to "Run for the Border".

Enjoy the pictures, winter is long here in the North, and we can now put the cars away for the winter, plan out our winter maintenance and other demon tweeks.
Attachments
510_06.png
510_06.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 3435 times

Keith Law
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

I just want to say that Is and I had great time.I just about had a heart attack when I hit that black ice.Luckily I was able to steer out of it.Well another Octoberfast has come and gone.It is so much fun with a great group of guys.Thanks to Keith for organizing it again this year.I just put the car away this evening,on the opposite side of the garage so Is can park her new Honda in the garage.Now I just have to figure out where to put all the s&@t that has has materialized over the year,haha!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Bert, you put my situation in a very nice way, but truly I too was obviously suffering from serious brain fade. About 10 minutes before the “corner bridge” I too was throttling back quite a bit, practicing the late apexes on every corner to keep the maximum “way out” in case there was black ice. I saw the moisture dripping from the power lines, meaning that there was overnight frost. The roads were still damp on shady sections, and we were climbing. I have hit black ice once before at elevated speeds and was extremely lucky to have not killed myself or my passenger that time. I chalked up my many years of rally and ice race experience for keeping a cool head in that situation – didn’t even scratch the car after doing four complete 360’s starting at about 140 KM/h. Once the car stopped, I drove to the size of the road and stood out in the -20 degree night air and just shock with cold sweat for 10 minutes. Anyways, this weekend’s story generated about ½ of the same emotion, but all the realistic visitations of the end of the Bronze.
Backing up a bit…
Pulling into Maple Falls; Ron and Isabel were sitting right on the main road waiting for us in front of the Shell station. As I was leading the group at this point, I was the first to pull up beside Ron. I had intended to stop and get out, but Ron waved me on, so, on I went. Of course I was about 10 minutes down the road when I remembered Keith saying something about grabbing a coffee or something at Maple Falls. Sorry Bert, I was still in gear I guess.
As we drove up the road, there was a Nissan van and a Ford pick up who were cruising along above the posted limit, except slowing to half that speed in corners – unacceptable! If I could terminate them, I would have. But since I do not have this ability, I do have a heavier right foot option, and I patiently waited for that all important break in the solid center line. At the first opportunity I was past the two vehicles, followed instantly by the Malkinator and Aron. The speeds were definitely turned up a couple of notches, within the realm of safety in my car given the odd damp spot on the road. The Yoko’s not at the limit by any stretch, but I was erroring on the side of caution. However the Malkinator obviously wanted to play harder, so I waved him by after a minute or two. The roads were suddenly dry and then the wick got turned up big time! A clear road, twisty and flowing, decent pavement and we put space on the group fast. I’ll let Aron give his version of that part of the drive, but it was the most fun I’ve had all year behind the wheel!
That was – until the corner! I’m still following the Malkinator by about 3 or 4 seconds distance, he hits the little bridge and is instantly sideways. I peddle back thinking he’s just playing around. Black ice hadn’t crossed my mind, until I hit the bridge surface wide in the corner, and went into terminal understeer. Suddenly the reality of the situation hit home. Malc crossed the bridge and got out the other side, and of course his eyes are on his mirror at me, understeering into oblivion.. or headed straight for the bank. I tried a bit more steering input and got the opposite effect. I felt the cars line straighten out with a resounding OH SHIT flashing across my vision. Then I made a call that was not natural at all, turn back out of the turn towards the bank, picking the widest possible arc that would just get me through the corner and not applying any brake what so ever. I dropped the throttle, but not the clutch and prepared to drive it through. The car began to turn in, but it didn’t look good, I was still on an intercept course for the bank. As James photo above shows, there was thankfully no ditch. I felt the car leave the paved surface onto the dirt, preparing for impact. The surface was more less level to the bank surface – filled with many years of sand from winter road conditioning. So I’m now riding this cushion of sand, still in terminal understeer, praying the impact won’t be too bad. I then hit something solid and bounced back onto the road still at around 20 MPH I would guess. Malc figures there was about a foot of air under the front of the car. I wish I could have had a photo of my face at that moment! There was no crunch, no bang; in fact it was more less a thud if anything. Knowing at point there was going to be more cars coming, I moved around the corner and pulled over in a pull off. I got out, expecting real damage, and found no impact damage on the wheel, not a scratch on the car, and aside from a few leaves stuck to the car and a bunch of sand down the side – I considered myself very fortunate. Then my thoughts turned to the rest of the crew. Leaving Aron and Malc behind, I get back in my car and head back to the offending corner to warn the coming crew. But it was too late – Alveen found it first. I waved down the rest of the crew with the help of Sonny while James assisted Alveen.
I felt bad for Alveen. He took it pretty lightly. However he just wanted to go back. I encouraged him to stay with the group as the damage was mostly body related and only a small leak at the top of the rad. Beside we were only minutes from the top of the mountain at this point. However he had his mind made up and he headed back.
Needless to say, the rest of the short drive up the mountain was throttled back a bit. However once down the mountain and on the relative safety of known good roads we were given the opportunity to stretch out a bit. Not like the way up, but enjoyable just the same. A great lunch was had at a pub just before Maple Falls and then a nice sunny cool drive home to a boarder with – wait for it – a three car line up! My god, what a great day for driving. I felt bad for loosing Gordon, but did give him a call on the way back to the border. He was home safe and sound, and we all agree that we will at least understand where we are going BEFORE starting the drive. And to Alveen, I hope the repair goes well and hope that you’ll join us again.

And that finishes the driving season with some excitement – maybe a bit too much for comfort. With only a couple weeks left on the insurance, I will check that front corner, and put the Bronze away for another winter season.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

Just a bit of useless trivia...

Last year, my engine hour meter showed 4.8 hours running time for OCTOBERFAST, this year it showed 4.9 hours.

How close could you get! Last year we drove out to Sumas to cross, whereas this year, we crossed at Pacific, but did the Whatcom loop.

I used 11 gallons of fuel, as I ran out just before the plant on 99.

We sure did luck out on the last of the good weather again, as it snowed up high this past week.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Good morning Keith,

I forgot to record the hour meter at the beginning of the trip, but I did reset the GPS and it showed a moving time of exactly 5:00 hours, with 3:44 time stopped, or not moving (border line up on the way down, lunch and breaks ect.) Total distance covered was 377.3 kms, with a moving average of 75.4 km/h and an overall average of 43.1 km/h and a max speed of XXX down on the 99 just before the shop while playing with some young guy in a 5 series and some old guy in a Mercedes
:-)

Byron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Based on your distance, which would be very close to mine, I would be in the 22 MPG range, which would be about right considering my run UP the mountain, then that bit of run we had DOWN the mountain.

Interesting our time is very close, good to see the electronic geewhiz thingy GPS...is close to my old hour meter. :lol:

Keith Law
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

thanks to everyone that posted pics. up, it is so nice to look back at the great drives that we have had with the club, and be able to share them with everyone. But I am also pissed off.... that the wheather has now changed and the car is now parked
till next year. oh well. I will just keep looking at these pictures and waiting for the seasons to change :roll:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Yep, I just put mine into heated storage for the winter today.
I took a close look at the front suspension before sending the Bronze off. I thought I'd found a bend in the inner tie rod end - turns out it's exactly the same as the new one I had on hand to compare it to, So I'll line the car up for a wheel alignment for next spring, and see if I can find what changed ever so little from my near excursion into the shoulder on that frost covered bridge.

Till next year.. and yes we can look back at these photos and remember that great drive to send off the season.

Byron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Same here, away for the winter now. ( see my up and coming post on " what did you do on your Datsun" )

Those were some good drives this year again, we were sure lucky with our weather windows again, with lots of great scenery.

I know my total hours running time was down this year, but, I still covered over 1,000 + miles, with some of that at truly fun speeds.

Thanks to all the usual gang who came out and made them such fun events. I look forward to some of the new 510's to be along with us next season!

Keith Law
DimeAttack
Supporter

Post by DimeAttack »

That's me! I'm a new 510 :D
I'd love to be ready for that next year!
Tallis
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I'm glad I had the chance to drive 2 510's this year, that was fun! I'm just sorry I missed Octoberfast this year, I'll be ready for the next one though!
Jason