Datsun Matsuri 2012 - Kelowna, BC May 19 & 20

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Datsun Matsuri 2012 - Kelowna, BC May 19 & 20

Post by bertvorgon »

Wow..what a day that was!!!!!!!!!!

so what happened on the Highway? i tried looking this morning and could find nothing. Post a link if anyone has anything. The highway site is dead now.

I got home at 2:45 AM, up for 24 hours at that point....I still felt like I was moving when I got into bed.

I will write a story on this trip.

Going to take the Datsun back to the plant today, and wash off the tree sap and road grime.

Why do we do these trips..........? :lol:

Who would have thought we would end up standing around a fire.......arg!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Holy cow, what a trip! So much happened on this trip that I'll just go in smple point form,:-)!

Saturday, May 19th

Get up at 2:15am for cruise to Matsuri.

Andrew gets over to my house for trip at 3:30 am.

We get to Byron's house 3:45 am.

We start on the road to Hope, 4:00 am.

We pick up Richard on Highway one outside of Chilliwack, 4:45 am.

Get to Hope Chevron to fuel and Meet up with Maurice and Keith 5:15 am.

Stop in Merrit to regroup and water the trees, meet Merlin 7:00 am.

Stop on 97c to fix Byron's blown alternator, ended up switching my battery for his to charge in my car and leave his charging system alone, 7:45 am.

Stop in Westbank to wash cars, 8:15 am.

Get to Knox Mountain Hillclimb and our Datsun show, 9:00 am.

Nice turnout, biggest collection of roadsters I've seen in a long time and some pretty neat stuff including a SD22 diesel pickup, about 50 Datsuns or so with a big bunch of the show from Alberta, we spend most of the morning roaming around, chatting etc.

Richard takes us up the hill in his BMW Datsun support vehicle so we can view the Knox Mountain Hillclimb from the course, 11:15 am.

Stretch's "Purple Grape" V8 510.

Cam T's 510.

We walk from the finish line at the top, stopping at each turn with commentary from our resident racing guru, Keith at each stop, AWESOME!, finally get to the bottom at 3:45pm.

Show ends, prizes given out, Maurice wins for best 510, congratulations Maurice!, Merlin gives me a really cool "Mooneyes Christmas Sticker", thanks Merlin!, I drive Richard back up the hill to retrieve the support vehicle, 4:45 pm.

We head out for a really light dinner at Wendys and fuel a Chevron for the trip back 5:30 pm.

Stop in Merrit, water the trees and change batteries in Byron's car, mine has croaked already, 7:00 pm.

Head back down to Hope, looking good, we run into roadblock at 221 Fall Lake, fortunately right at a rest area, we are told Highway 5 is closed southbound until at 11 pm due to a serious accident (this means fatality if they've got it closed for that long). Looks like 3 hours back to Merrit, Spences Bridge and down highway 1 to hope at his point. We elect to pull into the rest area to wait it out as it's a tossup wether they open the road or not in the 3 hour span, WE HOPE!, Richard's BMW Datsun support vehicle loses it's fan and overheats sending billows of steam, out, 7:45 pm.

Keith builds us a fire at the rest stop, we discuss who goes on the fire for dinner, big and meaty or small and skinny? Chairs are brought out and we make ourselves comfortable around it, joined by people stuck with us, Richard and Andrews work on the BMW and get it sealed up and running again, temperatures drop to the low 40's/high 30's by 12 am, Byron and Richard are checking http://www.drivebc.ca for updates for road openings constantly, finally road opens, we head for home, 12:15 am ...

I get on the road and start off with the boys, I quickly realize I'm done, my eyes are watering, I pull over and switch up with Andrew and keep on going. We make it past Hope and realize that Byron's battery is done for, his lights are flickering, we pull over outside of Chilliwack and swap out my battery for his again, 1:15 am.

We start out again, headed for alternate, Richard's dads in Chilliwack, drive through the most odiferous farm fertilization program ever, so pungent, you can taste it on your tongue as you drive through to Rich's, we get there, swap out batteries again, Byron, Richard and Andrew adjust my "low" beams so they don't burn out drivers eyes as they seem to be adjusted to about 5' off the roadway! My brake lights are now done at this point having packed it in some time during the night, Andrew and I head off for home, 2:15 am ...

We drive the Chilliwack punch drunk with fatigue, we now know why it's called the " 'WACK", it's because the roads all end up in funny intersections and dead ends and the only thing open at this time in the WACK is 7-11 and the LIQUOR STORE, we finally end up on the Highway headed for home, 2:30 am.

We get to Abbotsford and pull into the Chevron for fuel, we are down the 1/8th of a tank and get make Richmond without a refueling, 2:45 am.

We pull out for the last leg, really groggy at this point, get home in Richmond it's alost 4:00 am ... At this point I've been up for 26 hours with 4 hours of sleep to start ....

What a fun trip! Thanks guys!

NB, we needed to keep hydrated for the trip to avoid fatigue, 10 cups of coffee, 6 cans of soda, 3 litres of water, a litre of juice later I have watered the plants faithfully many, many times ... Good calls for stops on the road guys!

Note on Highway Closure, only thing I found was a comment on News 1130, single vehicle accident with fatality (Ford pickup caught fire?).

We are also going to need to carry a more comprehensive list of tools and spares, everything got taken care of, but, these cars aren't young any more!
Last edited by jason on 20 May 2012 18:58, edited 5 times in total.
Jason
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

But sitting around a campfire is almost a Knox tradition!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Say Richard, has Byron made it home yet? He was so gone he crashed at Rich's place when we got there ....
Jason
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

He left 45 mins ago, with his charged battery, hoping to make it to Delta and home by 1.
I just hope the rain holds so he doesn't need the wipers.

We were out at 2:30am, and were up around 10am.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

It's been raining out here since I got up at 11 Richard. Wow, I'm beat, I'm going to nap like and the old fart I am this PM!
Jason
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

We're all going to nap like the old fart you are! Haha!
All I've done is eat, and still feel useless. Gotta get out and check up on the BMW, clean it out etc sometime though.
richard norrish
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Byron, didn't make the shop, he's turned around now and headed home, he's gonna try and jump charge the 510 with the van and head back out to the shop ...
Jason
dodgydan
Supporter

Post by dodgydan »

holly crap. that sounds like a road trip. my son and i, left kelowna at 4:45 and drove past that little gray car on its roof. we were gonna stop but there were already 6 cars there and some guy in yellow waved us on. then 10 min. down the road saw 4 cops and 2 ambulances heading up. guess we just missed the road closure. we were at home with drinks at 7:45. sorry , not trying to rub it in. we really had a great time at knox and the show. that dark yellow 510 screamin up the hill is an awsome sight. :D
its not the having. its the doing...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I just got back from dropping the Datsun off at the plant, wow I'm pretty tired today.
The car is not too bad really, what with the tree sap, etc. Decided to wash it next week, when the sun comes back. Raining good here now, we did luck out on a good day yesterday.

I will post up some pictures with my story, off for a walk now.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh guys - I did make it home. The 510 is being charged as we speak. I'm pretty disappointed with my "new" alternator. Safe go say I will add a volt gauge to the car. I've had a blanked off hole ready for it for years.
A big thanks to the crew for sticking around, and to Jason for letting me swap back and forth the batteries wearing out your alternator to keep me going this weekend.
Dan, we saw a Grey (Cavalier?) on a fat deck at the top of the Hill just before the snowshed, Rich and I wondered how this could have been the fatality. I guess this is what you saw, and was unrelated to the incident that closed the hiway. It appears that the big accident must have happened right behind you then. Lucky timing on your part. But it's a shame that people loose their lives like this.

Our 5 hour delay around a campfire, is a small inconvenience and just adds another chapter to the fun road trips we love to do.
I was done though. When you are getting so tired that your vision starts to shake, it's definitely time to get off the road. Rich, thanks for the couch. It fit the bill perfectly!

Had a great time guys, and Dave you put on a great show. I look forward to next year if this becomes an annual pilgrimage.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

:lol: Aw damn it, I missed all that fun! :lol:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Pictures/video or it never happened.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Pictures will be coming, story has to be written!

Keith Law
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Sounds like everyone had a good time, but that must have been one long day! Motel it one night would have been a good option. Maybe next year.

Chad
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.