Knox Mountain crash 2013

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Knox Mountain crash 2013

Post by bertvorgon »

Whudaya think Richard, Cannonball for old times sake, Vernon to Cache Creek in 1.5 hours, crazy red neck farmers falling off into field's trying to keep up with us, TR-7's melting their motors, or, I bet we could get more than one RCMP to follow us for 20 miles now..Heh, heh... :twisted: :lol:

Those WERE good times,, last of an era that is gone now, and at least we lived it to the most.

I can still see the cars lining up AFTER the event, when we belted up for the trip home. Can you imagine how that would be perceived NOW......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

.... the " Daytona 500 " at Westbank karts. 30 karts in perfect symmetry approach the start. Time slows as you hear your heart beat in your helmet. Then green Flag!! The roar of engines..... karts jostle for position... a bump and nudge midfield....then CHAOS!! The screeching of tires, a wall pf smoke, Karts flying through the air.... woman scream and children cry!!! :shock:

Team " India " all parked on top of each other in a twisted wreckage of bent steel and limbs. The exquisite look of confusion, pain and laughter on the face of Jas S, in a a WTF?? moment, as we cruised by under caution. Ah yes...those were the days :mrgreen:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I seem to recall broken fingers, sprained wrists and 30% of the carts not able to continue.... And that was just the first lap! :shock:

However, stories have a tendency to get "better " with age, but wasn't it suggested by the owned that maybe you guys shouldn't come back? :roll:

Your Knox walks sounded like adventures on their own, and the cars were not even present!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I can honestly say, I/we have had no need to elaborate our stories!

The drives back from the Slaloms were as legendary, with no need to exaggerate what happened. We were lucky to have hit a period in time where there were no cell phones and minimal RCMP on the roads out of all the small towns, so it was easy to cruise at 100 with no problem.

The "KNOX WALKS" became an event unto themselves, and while the actual walk of the hill served a purpose, the Go-Cart race in Westbank took on a life of it's own. Richard's description is bang on, true in all sense, with so much mayhem..and blood...... :shock:

The owner of that track...well.....he would read us the riot act...but...he KNEW what was going to happen, and for the most part, let us have our way, knowing we all knew how to "drive" ha..ha....

One of the last times we went there, he was not there, only his partner, who as glad to see us, as we had become an April Institution, 1 month away from Knox. With great sadness, he told us of his partner's passing, after a jack failed while he was under his car..with NO jack stands! He was mad/sad that his partner did that, as he knew better.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »

We found that if you showed up to the Westbank Go-Karts with your own helmets and proper gloves, and you looked like you knew what you were doing, so long as you were respectful of their machinery, they would not only let you play EXTRA rough, but many times the guys working there would hop in karts and come out on the track WITH US, smashing and bashing around like a good old NASCAR race. Good times. I think there is a mall there now :(
gooned

Post by gooned »

oh gawd i'm laughing in tears right now recalling some of those knox walk trips :!: