Sea to Sky Thanksgiving Run - 2014-10-14 Now with Pics

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
owdlvr

Sea to Sky Thanksgiving Run - 2014-10-14 Now with Pics

Post by owdlvr »

With winter approaching and a chill in the air, some people take that to mean the days of driving their classic car are numbered. But don’t pull the cover over your baby too soon, because the Annual Thanksgiving Day Sea to Sky Run takes place each year on Canadian Thanksgiving Monday! This is a quick, local, (free) and fun meetup to “give thanks” for another fine season of motoring.

What: A casual cruise and meetup with fellow classic car owners of all pre-’79 marques and types. Drive the best part of the Sea-to-Sky Highway on a quiet holiday morning, and enjoy the company of classic car nuts before you have to head off to the in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner! We plan it so that you can be back home by midday. Some of you might have done a Sea to Sky run recently with your various car clubs, but its always fun to mix all the marques together and meet new people. And really, who can say no to the beautiful views and winding turns past ocean and mountains – especially on a holiday! The drive starts in North Vancouver, with a destination of Galileo Coffee in Britannia Beach on the Sea to Sky highway. Enjoy a coffee or breakfast and the company of fellow car nuts and then return home at your leisure (or continue on to Squamish or Whistler if you wish!). In previous years we have seen between 30 to 70 cars join us on the run, with everything from “Magnum PI” Ferraris to Pebble Beach Talbots enjoying the drive. We look forward to seeing you!

This event traditionally benefits local Food Banks. Please bring a non-perishable food item to be donated to the Squamish Food Bank. We don’t have a lot of space to carry food back (we have a Mini, an Alfa, and a Beetle’s worth of space), so a few items each is ideal.

When: Thanksgiving Monday, October 14th, 2013 8:30-11:30am. Meet at Superstore at 8:30, depart for Britannia Beach at 9:00am.

Where: Meeting at 8:30am in the North Vancouver Superstore parking lot, near the north end of the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge. Gather in the northeast corner, near the gas station, or wherever there is parking available [MAP]. We will be departing this location at 9:00am in convoy to our destination at Galileo Coffee in Britannia Beach on the Sea to Sky highway.

--
Organizer - Classic Car Adventures
Home of the Spring Thaw, Rush to Gold Bridge and Fall Freeze Events
http://www.classiccaradventures.com
Byron510

Re: Sea to Sky Thanksgiving Run - Monday October 14th 2013

Post by Byron510 »

I attended this event today, and have to say it was thoroughly enjoyable. How often can you do a cruise down a mountain road beside a 50's Rolls Royce, filled by a group after vintage air cooled Porches and VW's, mix in some lead sled 50's customs, metal flake glowing, add in some American muscle cars, toss in some Merc Gull wings, French, Italian, Swedish, and of course a throng of British cars from all ends of the spectrum. I believe James held up the Aussie flag by driving the Mad Max Big Hopper car (no lights - keepin' the paperwork clean) and there were a half dozen realmers holding. The Japanese presence as well, sighting DP69 with a sibling of the Bronze, brothers Maurice and Jon in their Datsun Roadster and stock 510 2dr's, Andrew frequents this event in his 68 and of course I had the Bronze present.

For me, it's the only event where I can talk with hot rod guys who my father hangs with, while also talking to guys I rallied and ice raced with over the years, while customizes and restorers join in on conversations and we all share our common love for our automobiles. What blew me away is I'm talking to a guy about his kids and the hot rod hobby and somehow it comes to light that this is the guy who chaired the board to raise funds to restore the Royal Hudson and build the incredible round house it sits in!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Hudson

Hot rods to steam engines, I was in heaven. What a great event. It's a shame it all ends in 4 hours.
I took precious few photos, I got too caught up in the game all day, and before I knew it, the lot at Britannia Beach was nearly vacant. James, if you took photos as you usually do....
I highly recommend this event for the locals next year. It's a great way to spend a cool fall morning.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
McShagger510

Re: Sea to Sky Thanksgiving Run - Monday October 14th 2013

Post by McShagger510 »

That was a great cruise with such an eclectic bunch of cars! Some favourite cars there were the chopped '54 Buick with '57 roof, six cylinder Porsche engine and suspension under VW bus and the red disco inferno Corvette!

EnJoY tHe PiCs

James

Cool thing about driving on the right is, taking pictures on the other side - WHILE DRIVING! HA Haa!

This the first time seeing Andrew's cool EFI SU setup. VERY COOL! It uses common GM sensors though out and a neat custom machined injector housings.
LINKY> http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com

Check out that licence plate!

The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
ajen68510

Re: Sea to Sky Thanksgiving Run - 2014-10-14 Now with Pics

Post by ajen68510 »

I was amazed at the volume of cars this year. Spilling out of parking lot half a K down the highway. I did not do the cruise this year, as i got up at 6am, and damn it was cold. And no heater (Byron your got balls of steel brother) . So i just met everyone at Britania. Here is a few more picks.
Caterham Super 7 , Hyabusa powered
Stunning
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Thanks for all of the pics James and Andrew. That is a great variety of cars.Cam and I did the run last year. I think there was at least fifty per cent more cars this year.
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

the police interceptor is BAD ASS. i see a nice early 90s dynasty too.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

Hey James,
Here is the link to the guy that makes the SU TBI conversion. They can be purchased by themselves for someone better skilled than me to build their own EFI system

http://www.pattonmachine.com/TBI-Main.htm
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Cool, thanks Andrew. :mrgreen:

No heater in your car too!!?? And you like Squamish! :shock:

James

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

tycot1 wrote: i see a nice early 90s dynasty too.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

McShagger510 wrote:Cool, thanks Andrew. :mrgreen:

No heater in your car too!!?? And you like Squamish! :shock:

James

Ya, the core blew up in August. 2nd one. Decided to forego the 40 yo heater and ordered a Flex A Lite Mojave heater. Nice compact unit. Beside i had a quote on recoring.......280.00 !!! I bought the Mojave for under 300.00 . Seemed like a no brainer.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

ajen68510 wrote: ordered a Flex A Lite Mojave heater. Nice compact unit.
I don't know about Balls of Steel - but it sounds good.
What more easily comes to mind is a saying a good friend of mine has - "don't that frost the balls off a brass monkey". It seems more fitting!

I'll be looking in anticipation at your install Andrew. I put the Bronze together in 2005, and I have to say the fall cruises lowering my core body temperature are getting a bit long in the tooth....

But what a fun 4 hours adventure on Monday, to top off the cruise we did on Saturday. I could use more of these weekends :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

Byron510 wrote:
ajen68510 wrote: ordered a Flex A Lite Mojave heater. Nice compact unit.
I don't know about Balls of Steel - but it sounds good.
What more easily comes to mind is a saying a good friend of mine has - "don't that frost the balls off a brass monkey". It seems more fitting!

I'll be looking in anticipation at your install Andrew. I put the Bronze together in 2005, and I have to say the fall cruises lowering my core body temperature are getting a bit long in the tooth....

But what a fun 4 hours adventure on Monday, to top off the cruise we did on Saturday. I could use more of these weekends :D

Byron
LOL, whatever analogy you use. Your still a braver man than me ! Send pics when its done. Ole' Yeller is pretty much garaged now for winter.............maybe.............some short trips with this nice weather might still be in order.