Gold Mine Tour November 3, 2013...book now!

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Gold Mine Tour November 3, 2013...book now!

Post by bertvorgon »

Holy Hana, was that a great trip or what?! Hope you all enjoyed yourselves, we sure had fun, great group again.

Thanks all for coming! As Matt said, we feel like we have gone full circle with the 510 group, back to doing other stuff besides the car stuff, that we did in the 90's.

Post away with pictures. I need to feel like I'm not moving any more.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
mandylynn

Post by mandylynn »

Thank you Keith and Matt for arranging such a great trip! I can't wait to see the photos.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

it was good to hang with the 510 guys today. thanks bert for arranging the day the dogs and the cave crickets.Image
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
gooned

Post by gooned »

pics will have to wait, just home now...Great day of Exploring - big thanks to all and especially Keith :mrgreen:

side note: I lost the tranny on the Duramax as soon as we hit the hyway, by the time it limped to Noel's shop I had to take a run to get onto the hoist it was slipping so bad :!: No idea why yet but at least the timing was good(ish) :roll:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Geez Jason -damn we were all lucky - we were 29 kms back inthe bush, that would have been a hell of a tow out since you had the biggest vehicle there!
Hope the fix isn't too bad, sure glad you parked it when you did.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Keith, another epic outing, and it never would have happened without you. And you fed us too!
Thanks so much for the day; I'll remember this trip for some time to come.

So, let's just get on with the photos...

The day started out cool, temperatures felt just below freezing - the frost didn't come of the leaves on the ground throughout the day, and when we exited, the frozen rain from the day before was still on the branches - hence why we're all dressed the part. Here's a shot at the trail head, the snow wasn't far above us!

And a group shot before entering the second shaft - better to take it now before we lost anyone :-)
Attachments
DSC00569 (Small).JPG
DSC00569 (Small).JPG (72.05 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
DSC00581 (Small).JPG
DSC00581 (Small).JPG (77.29 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I loved how the calcium was slowly claiming this piece of timber. Since this piece of wood has been here since the 20's, it was in remarkably well preserved condition.

And a neat shot of some pure copper oozing out of the rock...
Attachments
DSC00584 (Small).JPG
DSC00584 (Small).JPG (38.39 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
DSC00585 (Small).JPG
DSC00585 (Small).JPG (35.73 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
DSC00597 (Small).JPG
DSC00597 (Small).JPG (73.08 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

We'd made our way to three distinct levels in the mine, this was the higher one, and the one which took us right out under a water fall - very spectacular. Because of the close proximity and very tight little canyon, I really could not capture it on film.

Here a view of an intersection in the mine, we came up from the left of this photo, it was I'd guess a good 30 to 40 degree incline - enough that you really had to be careful.

Then there are two shots of the water fall, the second shot was reached by entering back into the mine, dropping down a level and crawling out of a crevice to get the second perspective.
Attachments
DSC00598 (Small).JPG
DSC00598 (Small).JPG (46.71 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
DSC00609 (Small).JPG
DSC00609 (Small).JPG (74.51 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
DSC00615 (Small).JPG
DSC00615 (Small).JPG (41.52 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Robyn and Mandy - I'd like to thank you both for dragging 6 inches of Rust up for the day, and holding true the 510 spirit of adventure my friends - hats off to you both.

And a last parting shot of a beautiful waterfall on the way back out of the bush. I'm sure one of you with a better camera was able to better capture this one. I just love how the waterfall is running around a tree right at its base! It's amazing that this tree can hang on at all.

What a great day - thanks again to Bert for organizing the trip.
And Chad thanks to you for ferrying me around today in your truck - even picking me up at home. And lastly - thank you to all that came. It just reinforces what a great group of people we draw from locally and in our community.

Byron
Attachments
DSC00632 (Small).JPG
DSC00632 (Small).JPG (58.85 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
DSC00650 (Small).JPG
DSC00650 (Small).JPG (46.51 KiB) Viewed 4010 times
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Chad,

When we took the picture of the GPS, which location were we at? Was it where the sign guys were? You think I could remember......I'm pretty sure it was.

Ok, so I punched in some co-ordinates, that we took from Chad's Garmin. Next thing I know the phone rings and it is the Kremlin, asking why I have targeted their luxury boat marina, where Putin stores his yacht. I say it is a misunderstanding, I don't know my degrees from minutes, must have got the wrong latitude in. They tell me to buzz off or they are sending a drone over....

So, I figure, how hard can this be...I Google Earth my computer, figure out some boxes to put some numbers in...I end in in Kazakhstan..I'm not kidding.... fart...so back to some other, site punch some numbers in..ok..I'm finally in B.C.....zoom in...I think I am there..

anybody else want to try...? N 49 degrees 58.004
W 123degrees 26.634

and then translate what these numbers mean..screen shot from Garmin.
Attachments
IMGP7331 (Large).JPG
IMGP7331 (Large).JPG (286.75 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Ok, so here we are, eight four wheel drives of various sizes, locking hubs, airing down tires, slamming transfers cases into 4 low, the latest Toyo 31" tires on one, 12" of ground clearance on another, snatch straps ready to go, seat belts cinched up, ready to tackle this cross-ditched, leaf slippery, STEEP single track 4 wheel drive road, with loose rocks, when along comes........

A DATSUN 510........and leaves us in the dust......

I need to redefine what four wheel driving is!

What a day, after the torrential rains on Saturday, the front blew through and left us with crisp, clear sky and fresh snow on the mountains. We left our place at 7:00, met up with everybody at 8:00. Thanks to all for being on time, and, as you saw, the day went by. I have a pretty good sense of time and distance, and what it takes to get it all done and home at a reasonable time. We were home by 6:15.

We convoyed up the Sea to Sky, traffic light, stopping at the Alice Lake turn to gather everyone. Then it was off to the mountains, winding our way up the 1,500' level of the mine, far up the Ashlu Valley. everything was still crisply frozen, the sun low this time of year, so there was only a spot of sun when we parked, and it was gone by the time we came out of the mine. The cold had an added value for two reasons, the bush was not wet, and, due to the snow up high, there was no huge run off of water, that would have made crossing Roaring Creek a bit of a bear.

We "geared" up, donning headlamps, packs, cameras, boots, and set out crossing the creek. The rocks were like snot on a glass door knob, a thin layer of ice on them. Byron and I flipped a board that was there, which made a fine bridge to get across. On the way back it had frozen again, so I threw some gravel on it, sanded the road so to speak.
It took us maybe ten minutes to get down to the first and most modern shaft, so we popped into that to give everyone a chance to try out their lights. It was so bright with all the lights that even my camera, which has very poor low light capability, actually took some pictures. I think all in all we had a million candle power going on. Then, it was down the embankment, down the old ladder, and to the main and original entrance of the 1920's mine.

After a group photo, we plunged single file into the depths. I enjoyed seeing it again through every one elses eyes. We went down to the end of the main tunnel, snapping pictures of the calcium leaching out, starting to make stalactites from the roof. You can see how TIME geologically, can make such wondrous things. In 80 years some of the stalactites were almost 2" long. I must admit I was kinda concerned with such a large group, but, it was just fine, safety being my primary concern.

We then headed back almost to the main entrance, then hooked left and climbed up an adit, up to the next level in the mine, about 150 feet up. On the way we pass huge open areas called stopes, where the ore has been taken out, leaving some of the quartz body as support pillars, very spectacular. This is the area where we stayed out of, due to the fact this is the one spot where there has been a significant failure of the roof. I have been in many old mines and stopes are one area I treat with a great deal of respect, as there is NOTHING holding up the mountain above you. We also go by a copper deposit that is leaching out, a brilliant blue, where in one spot it has mingled with the calcium. At the top we also run into the old rail intersection, literally a four way junction of the track for the ore carts. Then, it is one of the highlights, popping out next to the waterfall. It was not quite as spectacular, due to the lack of run off, maybe 1/3 it's normal flow. It would be cool to see it at full spring rush...maybe next year!

After a round of pictures, it was time to head out, walking out the next modern entrance, blown into the old mine back in the late 70's. The fellow got himself in trouble over that little exercise. I will tell you that story some other time. After a brisk uphill walk, we re-crossed the creek, ready for some lunch.

It did only take one match to get the fire going, Matt was vague on the rules! We had roasted smokies and toasted buns going in 10 minutes, warming us all in the chilly afternoon air. Then we tromped up to the old mill, which if you remember from our last story, only ran for one month before it shut down. Basically a typical B.C mining/stock/investment play back in the 80's, which ended up in lawsuits. After marveling at the possible worth of some of the equipment that is left, it was back to the vehicles.

Now, the other part of this trip was to go back down the road, to a bridge that crosses the Ashlu, then head back up the other side, both to see if the road was passable after the spring avalanche covered it, and that a bridge was not wiped out. The reason for doing this was to establish a point of entry to the bush, across the river from the old mine, that would let us head down to try to find the original mine camp, abandoned around 1929. Think antique bottles and who knows what else, waiting for discovery.

This....is where the 510 comes into play.

Robyn and Mandy have brought THE 510!! So, again here we all are, decked out in our various permutations of 4 wheel drives, and off roars Robyn, blazing through EVERYTHING we negotiate, all in two wheel drive...and we did go through some pretty good cross ditches and angled creek crossings, let alone some steep, slippery hills. Holy Crap...even Matt had to jockey a few times to get through a cross ditch, tires spinning. Next time I'm bring the Honda Odyssey! Even Cam had to remove his bike rack and throw it into the back of Jason's truck, as the angle of attack on some ditches were going to rip it off. I jumped back and forth from different vehicles, taking pictures and pulling large sticks out of the way.

We finally came upon another large four x four, with two guys installing a sign, right before a large creek crossing, go figure. They were from the Ministry of Environment. I jumped out and asked them if this was such and such creek? Now, you would think these guys would have access to the latest and greatest topographical maps, GPS stuff, whatever. THEY...are not sure what creek they are on! They ask me! He then goes to his truck, pulls out his phone, and shows me the map they are working from. It's from the SAME page I posted here, from the Backroads B.C. book. I just about crack up. I say I am pretty sure you are on the right creek, and I ask him if he measured any distance. Turns out they did, which will be good for me when I sit down later and plug in the GPS co-ordinates that Chad had on his, when we next stopped. I think this is where we would go down to the old site, but, I still need to do some map and GPS stuff to be really sure. It will be one of our next adventures for sure.

Heading across the creek we go another few kilometers, before Matt wisely decides that the day is getting long, and, we will lose light soon. Discretion being the better part of valour, we turn around and head out, with Robyn and James's friend Stan ( 31" tires), literally racing back to the main road...they were GONE!

After a small meeting at the bottom by the dam, making sure all were down, we said our goodbyes and left for Vancouver and home. Fantastic day for sure with a great group of friends again.

Oh, and, that definition of four wheel driving.........what CAN you say...our 510's do many mystical things, and you had to be there to see it.

Keith Law
November 4, 2013
Attachments
IMGP7229 (Large).JPG
IMGP7229 (Large).JPG (121.16 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMGP7230 (Large).JPG
IMGP7230 (Large).JPG (463.09 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMGP7231 (Large).JPG
IMGP7231 (Large).JPG (433.76 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Last edited by bertvorgon on 04 Nov 2013 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP7239 (Large).JPG
IMGP7239 (Large).JPG (335.16 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMGP7238 (Large).JPG
IMGP7238 (Large).JPG (536.28 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMGP7237 (Large).JPG
IMGP7237 (Large).JPG (462.69 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP7242 (Large).JPG
IMGP7242 (Large).JPG (507.58 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMGP7240 (Large).JPG
IMGP7240 (Large).JPG (504.99 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
IMGP7241 (Large).JPG
IMGP7241 (Large).JPG (374.46 KiB) Viewed 3944 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP7247 (Large).JPG
IMGP7247 (Large).JPG (443.6 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
IMGP7243 (Large).JPG
IMGP7243 (Large).JPG (450.24 KiB) Viewed 3943 times
IMGP7245 (Large).JPG
IMGP7245 (Large).JPG (360.22 KiB) Viewed 3943 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

more
Attachments
IMGP7253 (Large).JPG
IMGP7253 (Large).JPG (175.21 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
IMGP7249 (Large).JPG
IMGP7249 (Large).JPG (265.66 KiB) Viewed 3942 times
IMGP7254 (Large).JPG
IMGP7254 (Large).JPG (491.43 KiB) Viewed 3942 times

Keith Law