Datsun Matsuri 2014

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
DatsunDave
Supporter

Datsun Matsuri 2014

Post by DatsunDave »

Join Datsun enthusiasts from Western Canada and the US Pacific Northwest May 17-18 in Kelowna, BC for Datsun Matsuri 2014

Your registration fee includes:
  • admission to the show (driver and vehicle)
    event T-shirt (black in poly/cotton blend)
    access to the Knox Mountain Hill Climb
    prizes for class winners
    draw prizes
Register Now!

Register by April 30th: $35 (includes t-shirt)
Register between May 1 and May 7th: $50 (includes t-shirt)
Register between May 8th – 17th: $50 no T-shirt guaranteed

More info here:
http://www.myautoproject.com/2014/02/da ... suri-2014/
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
DatsunDave
Supporter

Re: Datsun Matsuri 2014

Post by DatsunDave »

Registration update:

We're ahead of last year's registration at this point on the calendar. :D

73% of the registrants so far are roadster owners. The bulk registered to date are 2000s (thanks to Ross at Sports Imports being the bushes) with a few being the coveted 67.5. Some are pristine and some are ratsuns. Some are stock and some are SR / KA swapped.

I've been told by the owner of a '72 Hakosuka GTR that he'd like to attend the show this year. That will be really cool to see. Haven't seen one in the flesh yet.

I'm actually a bit perplexed with the 510 response in general. I know that some of you aren't interested in the drive (no criticism intended) but given the interest in 510s overall, I had thought there would be more people from the 510 community to compensate for those who don't want to make the trip.

What do you guys need to get you to the show? What am I missing?

I'm especially interested in what might be needed to get you NW US guys (Spokane / Coeur de'Alene, Seattle area, etc.) to the show. I know many of the Washington / Oregon guys are heading to Canby-totally get it. Some who may not be going to Canby may think that because the event is in BC that is is too far. To give you some perspective, Seattle to Kelowna is only 2 hours further than Seattle to Canby (nothwithstanding the border crossing). My drive to the event is 10 hours. If I can make it, you can too. ...plus you get a 10% discount just for being from the US. What's not to like about that?
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Dave,

Just a comment from my perspective, and maybe a few others here.

The drive is NOT an issue, we regularly do at least a couple of 400 - 500 MILE drives over the summer, plus other trips. For me, two things. The weather, it is way to far ahead for me and maybe some others to commit to leave the lower mainland, when it can be horrendous weather here, all the way to Merritt and even over the Connector.....Snow can be common on the May long weekend. I have done enough crud weather driving in my 30 years of racing, where I HAD to drive to events, no matter what. Last year we did a fall drive that was horrible, which left our cars just slimmed beyond belief, so I am just not doing that again. My car is not a trailer queen, but, I do want it to stay in good shape. I am just finishing my spring cleaning and the amount of crud and fine sand in every nook and crannie I do not want to do again. I have race calipers on my car, so they have NO seals on the pistons...not a good scenario for regular wet/crud road condition driving. So, if I /we decide to come, it would be last minute GOOD weather window, which is what we do on any of our drives.

50.00 bucks......that is way to expensive to just come and park my car. I'm really not a car show guy, the social thing I get and enjoy, but, that is just too high. Not that 50.00 is out of line for most of us, but in my context I burn 200.00 worth of high octane fuel for the day. The drive is the EVENT for me. If I came up, I would park outside and pay the gate fee for one day anyhow. Last time we came, we parked, then hiked the hill all day, came down, said hi to a few, then booked it back to Vancouver ( and had a 5 hour layover in the mountains due to an accident).

Our Vancouver crowd does a lot over the summer season, with some major trips again planned, even a trip to Canby possibly, so I look at what is going to be the most efficient use of my time and dollars for all the things.

Just thought I'd let you know from my perspective at any rate.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Keith, thanks for the input. I do value it and understand your points but...

The price right now is $35 not $50. I know from your point of view, because you want the option of the late decision, that you are citing $50 but I want others to know that that is not the price of the show if they make a decision by April 30.

The entry fee for the show is not just to "park your car". This is a misconception that I should clear up.

There is more to putting on a car show than just having "parked cars". I suspect most understand this but your comment (no criticism since I assume others may think the same) gives me cause to provide some additional info so folks don't think this is a money grab.

Here are some numbers to ponder:
$20 - the fee to "park outside (the grounds) and pay the gate fee (to attend the hill climb) for one day" as you mentioned
$35 - the fee that you pay to get into the grounds to watch the hill climb plus entry in the car show plus the show t-shirt.

I think there is value for the additional $15 which is the difference between car show entry or no car show entry.

Also, consider these:
I have some fixed costs that have to be paid regardless if I have 5 cars show up or 500.
  • Liability insurance
    On-line registration system access fee
    Prizes for class winners
    Artwork for the t-shirts
    Set up charge for the t-shirts
    Minimum order for the t-shirts
    Fuel to attend the event. I do a 20 hour round trip drive from home to Kelowna through Roger's Pass and, as you mentioned, gas is not free.
    I also need somewhere to sleep when I get there.
Variable costs:
  • PayPal fees to allow for on line registration
    Car ID cards
    Show ballots
    SWAG Bags
    Draw Prizes
    Miscellaneous other crap I can't think of right now.
Ideally, if I could get over a critical mass I would actually LOWER the cost of the event which is not something that happens much these days.

So, I understand you want to make a last minute decision and I sincerely do respect that. In contrast, I hope that folks will understand and agree that it is reasonable for an event organizer to provide an incentive to register early so that revenue is a little more predictable given the fixed costs. I don't think it is out of line to have to pay a little extra for the option of registering last minute.

Now with all of that out of the way, I was really wondering about the NW US guys. ;)
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I meant nothing critical at all, sorry if it came across that way. I have organized a ton of different things over the years, so I know what it takes.

I get the early registry, I just used my "Late fee" for my own example, as the weather deal puts me into that group, fair enough.

Like always I'm sure with at least a good group of our 510 crowd here, it will be a last minute decision for the most part.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Keith, I didn't think you were being critical. Its all good. I did think that I should explain the other side of the equation though.
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

honestly I never know if my wagon is even going to be running in time... :roll:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Looks to be a quieter year at Knox, only 38 entries. I talked to my friend Campbell yesterday, even he cannot make it this year. That's really down from when I ran, up to 70+ cars. Hopefully guys will get maybe some extra runs.
Long range weather looks sketchy at best here, with rain for both Sat and Sunday, and showers in Kelowna, so I am going to pass for sure.

Have a safe long weekend for anyone traveling!

Keith Law
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Too bad about the race entries, that's disappointing.

Looks like the car show will have more cars than the race. Thanks for the update.
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

bertvorgon wrote:Looks to be a quieter year at Knox, only 38 entries. I talked to my friend Campbell yesterday, even he cannot make it this year. That's really down from when I ran, up to 70+ cars. Hopefully guys will get maybe some extra runs.
Long range weather looks sketchy at best here, with rain for both Sat and Sunday, and showers in Kelowna, so I am going to pass for sure.

Have a safe long weekend for anyone traveling!
Well at $400 :shock: for the late entry fee I'm not surprised that entries to Knox are down. And the price of fuel doesn't help matters.

As for myself I just got my 1976 280 inspected and licensed. Will be up for Knox and am going to register for the Datsun Matsuri event. Here's a couple of pictures of the car.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Holy C#*P...400 for late entry......That's insane.

Have a safe trip, when you get back we can talk about the throttle fix! :D

Keith Law
DatsunDave
Supporter

Post by DatsunDave »

Just thought I'd also mention that "day of" registration for the show is $20 which is the same costs as getting in to watch the race (so attend the show for $20 and see free racing or pay $20 to watch racing and get into the show for free).

Weather is looking better now as well, relative to what yesterday's forecast said. :)
Datsun Dave
Edmonton, Alberta
69 SRL 311
74 (early) 260Z
510 on the bucket list