Octoberfast 2014

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
gooned

Re: Octoberfast 2014

Post by gooned »

Good news for me, I couldn't make this Sunday but the 9th should work out. :)
gooned

Post by gooned »

Sooo, what's happening :?:

Looks to be as good a weekend as any for weather...

Are we going to look at the far side of the valley this trip? If so would we still have time to shuffle through the shaft again, I have a pair of young eyes that would love to wander through, no not my eye's... :roll:
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

We are going to hit the east side first, see if we can find the camp. Then if enough time, I guess we could head over to the shaft side. Just depends on weather and time.

Always another trip. I will post up meet time tomorrow, likely at the United church lot at the top of Taylor way again. Just Matt and I so far, maybe Steve from Atomic.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

To confirm meet time of 8:00 AM, at the United Church lot, top of Taylor Way.

Be prepared for any type of weather, and some bush wacking. I plan on bringing the smokie's
and stuff, but, maybe bring a snacky type lunch in case it is really raining. As long as it is not
torrential, we will build a fire.

"A" is where we are parking, "C" is what we are targeting for the mine camp.

Program the GPS's....then we can get really lost.......

Based on the map scale, we ONLY have to go 2-3 hundred meters. If nothing stands out, we will find the pipe crossing the river, then follow that back into the trees.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 10 Nov 2014 05:18, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

Looks like "B" is where we saw the guys placing the sign last year?

Gonna be wet getting thru there, but should be an adventure for sure! :D
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yah, that's where they put the Grizzly sign.

It may not be too bad, just have to see what hits tonight. It's dry in Whistler right now, for what that is worth. The Canyon should be spectacular with all the torrential rain we have had. Roaring Creek might live up to it's name also.

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Have fun guys, wish I could join you...

Speaking of cold, snowing here in Edmonton right now....glad I rented something with AWD.

I'll wait for the pics.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Fire wood loaded, smokie's in, change of clothes, gaiters, axe, saw, dynamite......

So far, me and Matt, Steve and friend, Jason and Josh.

Sorry you can't make it Byron, nothing says we have to stop going places over the winter. I got
the Hankooks put onto the Tracker last week, so we will be good for any condition. Stay warm!

Keith Law
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

510s packed and ready for gravel. the road should be groomed to the damn. im anticipating deeper x ditches once we cross. with heavier springs im more likely to have one tire hanging in the air but don't worry I installed flaps to protect your windows. :mrgreen:
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
gooned

Post by gooned »

Nice!

We are going to bring Ol Yeller for a run, sandwiches made, just gotta fill the thermos in the morning with hot chocolate.

I'm not bringing the winch, but do have a yank strap & shackles...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Gang.

If anybody has an umbrella, could you bring it. It is raining hard here right now. After we get back from the hike, we will drop back to the river to have lunch, by the dam, there we will build the fire. The umbrella will just help for a few minutes to get the fire going, should it be raining hard at that point. My umbrella is in the trunk of the 510 and Betty needs her's to walk the dog today. Weather says it is to let up.

Keith Law
WxMan
Supporter

Post by WxMan »

The rain should be ending for you shortly. Perhaps there will be the odd shower lingering until about 10am or so then skies should start to clear up near midday-ish. The freezing level will be near 4000ft rising to about 5300ft by noon. That's this WxMan's forecast anyway. Have a great trip. I want to see pictures.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

great day out! cant wait to see the pics
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
gooned

Post by gooned »

Yup awesome day with a great group!

No problems getting home from Squamish, thanks for shadowing us down guys, much appreciated :)

I may try to bandaid that line with a sleeve of hose & a small hose clamp in the morning, just to slow it down some...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Glad you made it safely Jason, thanks for the ride!

Yesterday, the 8 of us were treated to a very rare occurrence in today's world, where almost every inch of ground has been walked over repeatedly.

We literally walked into history, with no one having been to that mine camp in 90 years, it was untouched!!! As I had suspected, no one had dug deep enough in the old mine records to see that the ORIGINAL mine camp was across the river from the mine, they only focused on the modern mine camp, not knowing it's history with the actual workings of the mine. I would suggest that some timber cruisers had gone through there back in the 80's, but they had no idea what they walked past. Our trip had us hike down from the vehicles and within 15 minutes, I had us walk right into the sight.

Now we have our own archeological site to dig in, and if yesterday is any indication, there are many "treasures" lurking there.

Jason was just walking along and there was the holy grail of treasures, just poking out of the wonderful green mossy forest floor......A MINERS CARBIDE LAMP!!!!!!

More to follow plus pictures of the day.

Keith Law