First summer drive to Fort Casey, via Chuckanut drive

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: First summer drive to Fort Casey, via Chuckanut drive

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Chickenman it is pensoil synthetic 5w50. I'm sure 220 is on the conservative side. I bet a lot of people don't listen and blow stuck up.

It was kind of funny that the car that was built to be sporty was the slowest of the 3 :mrgreen: I know it felt like there was quite a bit left in my car in the corners, not that I would want to push much harder not knowing what the grip would be on the next corner and with guard-rail and concrete a foot away.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I think there was more there for sure, but then we are getting into combat mode, where one more gear down and lots of throttle gets things way busier.

The tires get close to their limit, but these guys will let know when sliding, which is half the battle, and it is not sudden.

IDOXLR8... We run a bit of castor, so that on turn in, we get negative camber, so the tire is really at it's optimum, let alone a spring rate and ant-roll bar the tries to keep the front body roll and weight transfer to a balance.

That is the key as you want to be off the brakes, or at least static, when you turn in, as that lets the front do it's work.

Mark Donahue's theory on the "traction circle" is so very important, so when you understand that, the whole braking/cornering/acceleration thing becomes very clear, as to what and how you ask your suspension to behave.

TIRES....that becomes the final and key link to traction. No amount of fancy suspension stuff will work at optimum, unless you have the grip to go with that. Anything else is a compromise. I see that all the time here, spend all the money on the STUFF, yet no real tires, might as well put stock suspension in to go with your Sears Roadhandlers.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

My car was set up with Falken 615's on it and it pushed through almost any medium speed corner. Never mind trying to keep the rear end behind me. Just changing the tires to the Yokahama A050's transformed it into the car I wanted all along.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

funwithmonkeys wrote:
It was kind of funny that the car that was built to be sporty was the slowest of the 3 :mrgreen: .
Geez, and you seemed like such a nice guy Norm :wink:

My tires are terrible. Other than general putzing around they just don't work. I found them on Craig's list for $600, tires and rims never used but I've got to get some better rubber on this thing.
260z owner
510 wannabe
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I couldn't help it. Put some good rubber on that car and it would be beautiful and fast. :D
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Need to start running some Autocross events. That's a really good way to learn hour to drive properly in a safe environment and how to set up your car. There are a lot of events held at Pitt Meadows Airport.

This is VCMC's schedule. Then there are events by the Porsche and Corvette clubs, BCMA etc:

http://www.vcmc.ca/forum/showthread.php ... 5-Schedule
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

Chickenman wrote:Need to start running some Autocross events. That's a really good way to learn hour to drive properly in a safe environment and how to set up your car. There are a lot of events held at Pitt Meadows Airport.

This is VCMC's schedule. Then there are events by the Porsche and Corvette clubs, BCMA etc:

http://www.vcmc.ca/forum/showthread.php ... 5-Schedule
Agree Richard.
I'm at a bit of a cross roads with my car. Driven it for two seasons since I finished restoring it and as these things go, now looking to improve and refine things.
260z owner
510 wannabe
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

I used to Autocross and race 240's at WestWood and locally. Had a REALLY fast 1971 240z that ran in Mod class back in the daze. 3.9 gears, full Nissan comp suspension, built engine and 21x8x13 Goodyear slicks. If you're coming to the All Nissan show on Sunday we can chat further.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Dean - truly your car does look awesome. Man I wish I could have been out there with you guys... next year when my shop is built…..

On the topic of tires, they mean EVERYTHING!

Some of you who's been around for a few year might remember my ice race car in the late 90's. Well before it's last life as an ice racer, it had been a 2 dr family beater it's whole life. An L16/automatic with worn original oil shocks, not much left of the suspension bushings to speak of, and worn out vinyl seats. And it was so rusty you could damn near look through it! Trust me it was rough with a capital "R".

I have a little bit of drive experience, and many different kinds of surfaces. I wouldn’t say I’m an awesome driver, but capable in most situations I would think.

So I decide to take my fresh 048's, leave my nicely tuned street car at home and show up at the All Nissan Meet Auto X with this clapped out 510 – just for kicks!

I drove that car around the course on 3 wheels and literal waxed a large amount of very capable cars (well-tuned 240SX's, 300 ZX's, Subaru’s and the like). It was so awesome. I had no power, acceleration was terribly as anyone who’s owned or driven an L16/auto combo can attest/ Lag was ridiculous even when manually shifting – for what it was worth. All I had was speed preservation once I finally got up there. And I used that to great effect. The brakes were hardly touched, mostly because I couldn’t get it going fast enough. But I could turn in, lay the car on the bump stops and just drive it through. Linear slaloms were nuts with the stock height body roll from bump stop to bump stop. It was so much fun and I was certainly the laughing stock of all who were watching….
….until the times were posted after the first round (back in the days before digital posting that we see now). No one could believe the times I was posting in this absolute piece of crap. My only regret was that i didn’t sneak in a low gear LSD the night before because I could have done way better had I been able to keep that inside rear wheel on the ground.

Honestly it was so much fun - and it was ALL the tires. If no other situation has ever proved it to me – this was it. When moved into Rallying and ice racing, the same held true. When the tires are matched properly to the conditions, all other mods become secondary. The tires are just worth so much.

Thanks for posting guys – awesome.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Great pics guys! I wouldn't have gotten my crew out there for that start time though. Definitely gotta wander down there sometime.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I finally got around to the video, the res is not the greatest at the beginning because of the low lightand I lost a good clip because my son decided to "work" as he calls it on my laptop.
https://youtu.be/7JxJzUjOtwI
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Dang that looks like a nice drive!!
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Thanks for sharing Norm. Looks like you were enjoying the drive.