OctoberFast 2015

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
Chickenman

Re: OctoberFast 2015

Post by Chickenman »

Mumble grumble....stoopid frackin' time to get up. Where's my Frackin' Coffee!!! Even my cat's are saying WTF??? LOL

If I wanted to get up 6this bloody early I could go drive a Bus... Oh wait... I did that for 20 years!! Mumble... grumble...
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

what an awesome day for a rip in the 510. next year i must have heater hooked up, fn cold. after all the fun times the drive home on the coke was bad ass, had my 47 year old car doing 145 to 150 kph. stopped at the chevron in hope for a top up and car won't idle also hood latch was come'n un done.

quick fix on our way.
Last edited by butters68 on 27 Sep 2015 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

good thing you caught that latch :shock: interesting I too had a hard time idling when I stoped for gas with norm @ watcome rd ? and thats miles from hope at a lower speed. by the time I crossed the mission bridge she was idling fine.

6inches preformed good, the sloppy box, poor alignment that pulls to the ditch and the yokahoma "rally use only" tires turned the excitement up to 11. @ terminal velocity the vibration from the meaty treads rendered the rearview unusable. it was like I had a thousand watts bumpin through 15s. the only casualty was the datsun emblem from the horn button..... I think its time for a bolt check.

it was a beautiful day for a drive. all i could ask for is a tighter pack.

oh my back... new drivers seat is needed.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Fantastic drive guys. It was great being krazy glued to your bumper again Keith. Diving into a corner and just turning the wheel, getting pressed sideways in the seat never gets old. My car ran almost flawlessly again. Heading up the coke I had a few moments of clutch slip. It was just a half a second a couple of times. In 5th at 125, stand on the throttle and it was just like the clutch was not fully engaged. I'm sure it's just a minor adjustment needed. She ran great all the way to the high side of 5th and cornered like she was duct taped to the ground. I will put up some pictures and a video of the twisty bits.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

robyn, i just got butters put away and on the maryhill bypass back to ridge to drop trev off, hey there goes robyn and mandi.
even better yet , i got home looked at the time and it was 5:10 pm.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Let's see some pics of the gang!

Just tucked the kids in, home from watching the eclipse tonight down in Glen Valley, so I drove the FJ55 a whole 10 mins away lol.
72squirrel

Post by 72squirrel »

Crap forgot to check back and see if it was happening! Really wanted to get out and see some 510s!!!!!! Got to clean up mine kinda :/. Well parts at least until I find a new parking spot haha
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (120.85 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (157.5 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (306.61 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It was a great drive today. We had a number of unusual additions not often common on our drives.
1) Many co-pilots, friends, spouses, family ect. Great to see – 11 cars and 7 additional co-pilots.
2) More cars that we have seen in a while – 11 cars is awesome
3) Guys with no heaters in near freezing conditions! Yes, I am in this group but I’m usually alone in this insane section. I have regretted deleting my heater from the car over 10 years ago since the restoration. As I welded up all the holes, it’s a bit of a pisser to put it all back. But the rest of you HAVE the heaters in your cars, and they are not functioning for one reason or another. We had a lot of cold people, including myself. I see this moving up the priority list for a few of you. I can say a heater in my car at this point just isn’t a priority, as much as I’d like it to be.
4) No tech sessions. Wow – great job guys! I added a quart of oil, and besides some cleaning of windshields and fuel stops, I didn’t see any repairs at all.
But what a day, sunshine, very little traffic right up to the lunch break. And more new comers to the group which is also awesome. Lastly a good cruise on the hwy back to the city over the coke. Sorry Norm that I came up from behind and pushed you a little harder in the forward motion department coming up out of Merrit. I see you didn’t mind at all though. Between 3500 and 4000 RPM, my car sets up a drone that just bites at the base of my brain. It’s seriously irritating, but magically it disappears at 4100 RPM and above, so I tend to base my speed in a gear that keeps my revs over 4100 RPM, hence the slight increase in motion at sustained RPM. It didn’t seem to bother anyone. We weren’t the fastest on the hwy, I was still getting passed occasionally, so we didn’t stand out too bad. I’d also like to say that the hwy manners were also very good; guys keeping right except to pass, being courteous to those around us, which is sometime hard when traveling in a pack. Well done all, really it was good to see, as it’s good for us all.
My GPS went a little screwy going up to the Manning Park Lookout, and stated that I was going 331 km/h… damn wouldn’t that be nice if it were possible. I guess the GPS doesn’t like getting cold either. I can’t trust it’s moving average because of this anomaly. However I did record 583 kms covered today with a moving time of 5:58 spaced out over a 13 hour day. Now we did do a hike with Cam, Susan, James, Ron and grandson (sorry Ron, I forgot his name), Rob and my co-pilot exchange student from Germany - Nina. That ate up an enjoyable 2 hours at least, likely more with the BS session that followed in the parking lot before departure.
I regret to say I forgot my real camera. I left it beside the battery charger so that I wouldn’t forget the backup battery – instead I forgot the whole camera bag! There would have been some great shots for me today, so I am a bit PO’d about that one. All I can share at this point Jason is a couple of crappy cell phone shots. One from the Look-Out above the Manning Park Lodge and the second of the small group that did the hike through the old KVR tunnels at Othello.
All in all a great day, thanks Bert for laying out the direction and kicking us in the ass to get going, and to all that came out today. It was great fun.

Byron
Attachments
IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3479.JPG (111.26 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
IMG_3487.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG (117.67 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Great cruise, fantastic weather and wonderful company. Glad to be a part of this. Thanks for organizing this Keith. Had to make a rest/nap stop at Britton Creek. A " P ", 20 minute nap and a fresh cup of Coffee and I felt much better Was pretty bagged by the time I got home though.

Filled up in Hope. 25.5 MPG. Reasonably happy with that. Decided to take Hwy 7 back to Coquitlam. Got lost at the Turn off to Harrison/ Agassisz. I always get lost there!!. Got turned around and had a lovely Cruise back. on #7. Very little traffic until Mission. Just before Kanakas Creek I hear the unmistakable whoooosh.... chiiiirrp of a high powered Turbo car. Turns out there's a new Z in the 'Ridge that I haven't seen before. White 240Z a no bumpers, nice integrated rear BRE style rear spoiler and very low. Some sort of RB Turbo variant from the sounds of it. We both give each other the thumbs up and cruise together for a while.

Going to be some major changes to my car over the winter is all I'll say!! Gotta get the suspension sorted ( a lot more front spring ) , drop the car a ton, and get rid of the battering rams and body skirts etc. I defiantly love the clean looks of Dean's car and need to reduce my Tire diameter.

Will post some pictures tomorrow...
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Looks like a fun drive guys. I believe this guy was likely your 240z candidate. RB26 with a 6835R. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGRxW9lR7Go
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

my morning is incomplete I expected to be reading Bert's trip report
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Byron510 wrote: Sorry Norm that I came up from behind and pushed you a little harder in the forward motion department coming up out of Merrit. I see you didn’t mind at all though. Between 3500 and 4000 RPM, my car sets up a drone that just bites at the base of my brain. It’s seriously irritating, but magically it disappears at 4100 RPM and above, so I tend to base my speed in a gear that keeps my revs over 4100 RPM, hence the slight increase in motion at sustained RPM. It didn’t seem to bother anyone.
Byron
Don't worry Byron, I was just waiting for someone to get behind me and let me know I was going too slow. :o I am currently converting video and should have it uploaded in a few hours. I had almost 3 hours to go through this morning.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Trip and pictures coming at dinner time!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Phew!

only six more hours.

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Another great drive. As always it was fun to visit with everybody. The Othello tunnels were awesome. I had not been there in over 20 years.My grandson Ethan really enjoyed the day,it was his first time on a club cruise. He is already asking when the next one will be!