SPRING DRIVE 2016

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

SPRING DRIVE 2016

Post by bertvorgon »

So, where and when would everyone like to go for a spring 510 drive?

I was thinking down to Fort Casey again, but, I know there are a few with no passports.

We are way too early for a drive to Winthrop, as there is still 10 feet of snow there. Some highways will still have a lot of crap on them,
I was surprised though how clean it was to Pemberton, although it does a get a ton of traffic.

Hell's Gate opens on April 29th.

The Britannia Mining Museum is open now, do the museum and then drive to Squamish for lunch at Boston Pizza

These are relatively short drives and a good shakedown for those that have not gotten their cars running yet.

The passes are out at this point, too early and lots of crap still at the high points.

Knox Mountain is but a month away, weather is an issue though. I did have a spectacular drive last year in the G.

Thoughts and ideas.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: SPRING DRIVE 2016

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have never been to Hell's Gate, that could be fun. It would be a bit shorter of a drive for the first one. I am supposed to be going and doing the duffy loop on May 1st with a group of guys. One of my wife's friends has a nice 260Z, he and his friends have invited me along for their first drive of the year....the 260 is by far the oldest car in their group. They mostly have Subaru's, Evo's and Mazda's.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

The highway is crap from Lillooet to Lytton, just constant pavement breaks and it just thumps the car.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

UGH that doesn't sound like fun...there is nothing like getting punched in the kidneys repeatedly. I am open to most anything. I'm looking forward to latching myself to your rear bumper again :D
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You and your group would better to have lunch in Lillooet and the come back on the Duffy. Go early though as once you hit traffic, there are very few places to pass.

Keith Law
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

what weekend are you thinking of going ?

I would love to get out, but I have let my passport lapse so I vote for a drive
up here

Aron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Well, that was why I was asking as to who is ready and what time period would work for the mass?

I'm thinking sometime in early May?

Keith Law
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Yep,early May works for me
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

got my 2L all hooked up an ready, going for exhaust tomorrow an alinement on friday. butters will be ready to go.[in canada only :| ]
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

what about changing it up a bit this year? Sunshine coast?
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I'm in for that...saves me a ferry ride.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As much as the Sunshine coast might be nice, it introduces a whole other set of criteria for both catching ferries, cost, and traffic density.
And, our very low cars can be a problem depending on the tide. I have had to remove my air dam going to Nanaimo for slaloms.

I am thinking that the Hell's Gate would be a nice trip and then come back on #7.

So, back to a date. Knox Mountain is on the long weekend, where I might blast up for day in the G35. We don't want to be doing a drive on a long weekend anyhow, for all the reasons.

We have then 3 weekends available, 7/8, 14/15, 28/29.

Thoughts.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have done some exploring up here and would have to agree with Keith, it is hard to find a clear price of road. The ferry is $53. That covers you both ways but I am sure a few of you would have issues getting on and off the ferry. I don't have a problem but my car isn't that low.

Next weekend is out for me as it is Mothers Day. I vote for the 14/15 weekend.
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Hey guys,just wondering if we have set a date for the Spring Drive.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I cannot believe how fast the days are going by!

What is the consensus? Next weekend is out as it will be busy with the long weekend. Want to shoot for the following weekend, 28/29th, weather permitting?

I'm still thinking of a road trip to Knox on Saturday the 21st in the G, walk the hill, cruise the pits and blast back to Vancouver. Anybody like to convoy along?

Keith Law