OCTOBERFAST 2016

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
User avatar
funwithmonkeys
Supporter
Posts: 856
Joined: 05 Sep 2013 09:34
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby funwithmonkeys » 27 Sep 2016 17:50

Yup it sucks. Rad was pushed back into the motor. I pulled into the line for the ticket booths and they closed our lane. The guy in front of me starts to back up so I started to back up. He keeps coming faster at me and when I go over the speed bumps my car pops out of gear. I'm leaving on the horn the whole time and he just keeps coming and slams into me. He was in an early 90'start chevy pickup. He didn't even touch the brakes. I'm hoping the motor isn't damaged.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

User avatar
bertvorgon
Supporter
Posts: 9904
Joined: 04 Aug 2003 20:45
Location: White Rock, B.C. Canada

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby bertvorgon » 27 Sep 2016 18:06

I am sitting here crying at this point......Stupid assholes out there...so many brain dead people now...I hope he gets found fully at fault...

Will your insurance cover that?
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

User avatar
funwithmonkeys
Supporter
Posts: 856
Joined: 05 Sep 2013 09:34
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby funwithmonkeys » 27 Sep 2016 18:09

He told ICBC it was fully his fault so I hope so. It was like he didn't even look behind him.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

510rob
Moderator
Posts: 4540
Joined: 09 Oct 2003 23:37
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby 510rob » 27 Sep 2016 20:12

That sucks Norm. What a shame.

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 11653
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby Byron510 » 27 Sep 2016 20:23

funwithmonkeys wrote:He told ICBC it was fully his fault so I hope so. It was like he didn't even look behind him.


He likely didn't look back Norm.

I feel one of the chronic issues with driving today is that people seem totally disconnected from the world around them. They are only thinking of themselves, right this moment in time. Many people go through life these days (and it's not just in driving) not thinking at all. They are in auto pilot nearly all the time, rushing here, dashing there and just not thinking about what they are doing. That guy in that truck likely does not understand that he's driving a 250 HP, 6000 lb chuck of steel and glass. It's a certainly a weapon, and people just can't understand that.

A guy pulled a left hand turn in front of my wife two weeks ago, both cars likely doing 40-50 km/h. The road was nearly empty at 6:30 in the morning in my sleepy little town. She in our Mazda5, he in a later Jeep Cherokee. Air bags fully deployed, cars both were totaled. He too was very sorry and admitted full fault, thankfully. I give him credit for that, he was honest and owned up. To be honest, that is even hard to find these days, so we are lucky, and in retrospect I want to shake the guys hand for that. But what the hell universe was he in at the time! The car had headlights and driving lights on, and even though the roads were wet, it wasn't raining and the sun was fully up.

I don't know what to say, sorry this had to happen to you, because no matter how you look at it, everyone looses. My only suggesting that we can lobby for right now to at least start to solve the issues, as I've said to many people over the last 10 years - as pathetic a drivers test we had to pass inthe first place, make everyone do this same test every 5 years. At least we'd have a grasp on who gets to continue to drive. I swear that there would be a 80-90% failure rate today if everyone took the basic road test right now. how's that for fixing the traffic congestion issue. But what politician would ever stand up and suggest such a move? Enough of my ranting.

Worst thing for you now is - Try to find those parts to fix you car? ICBC will likely give you a pay out and tell you to do the repairs on your own.
If you need help, post up here in a new thread to find parts. Rad supports are getting hard to find. As are 68 grills and headlight bezzles.

Keep us posted.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

User avatar
RMS
Supporter
Posts: 1469
Joined: 12 Oct 2009 01:03
Location: Richmond BC Canada

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby RMS » 27 Sep 2016 20:49

brutal :shock: I got your old grill and light guards. man that was my nicest grill. have to build a wheel chock deployment system for those tight quarters on the boat and in the line. I got you covered on every thing but hood hinges and rad that will keep it cool.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

Idoxlr8
Posts: 75
Joined: 11 Aug 2014 16:53
Location: Burnaby

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby Idoxlr8 » 27 Sep 2016 21:27

Really sorry to see this Norm.

I have some contacts to get that grill straightened if you can't source another one. I've seen some pretty mangled stainless and tin be brought back from the dead.
Let me know if I can help.

Dean
260z owner
510 wannabe

User avatar
bertvorgon
Supporter
Posts: 9904
Joined: 04 Aug 2003 20:45
Location: White Rock, B.C. Canada

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby bertvorgon » 28 Sep 2016 17:53

I am going to make the call now, that the drive on Sunday will move to our next date of October 16th. The weather is still a bit up in the air, so not 100% at this point, and I have some testing to do on something I have changed on my car anyhow, which got shunted further along due to weather and I got a bit of a cold last weekend. James wanted to come along also and he is not back till Sunday.

There is the small drive on Thanksgiving Morning I think, should the weather be good:

http://www.classiccaradventures.com/201 ... o-sky-run/
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 11653
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby Byron510 » 28 Sep 2016 22:51

Here is the link to this year’s thanksgiving run. I have done this a number of times. If it's wet, I take Ole Blue, if it's dry the Bronze comes out.

http://www.classiccaradventures.com/bc- ... o-sky-run/

Its great fun, and a huge variety of cars show up as can be seen from the photos of past years.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Chickenman
Posts: 477
Joined: 06 Sep 2010 15:10
Location: Coquitlam

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby Chickenman » 29 Sep 2016 13:57

funwithmonkeys wrote:Well I am out for any more drives this year.


Ouch. That sucks Norm. Sorry to have that happen... to anyone.

I recently bought a Dash Cam at NCIX just to monitor other idiots on the road. NCIX had a special on a mini cam for $49.95. ( Now $59.95 but still a good price ). Really good price for a Camera with 720 HD, Impact sensors, G-Load sensors ( for Hard braking ), Motion Sensors and Auto protect of any events. I also picked up a 32 GB micro Flash card for $10.95.

You can set it up so that it records even when car is parked. So it would have Auto-recorded that accident even if engine wasn't on and you weren't there. ( Motion and Impact sensor + Auto save. Milli-amp drain on battery of course )

Quite an impressive little Camera and very, very small.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/security-man-carcam-sdeii-wide-angle-7b-107111.htm

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1028
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby Three B's Racing » 30 Sep 2016 05:27

Byron510 wrote:
funwithmonkeys wrote:He told ICBC it was fully his fault so I hope so. It was like he didn't even look behind him.


He likely didn't look back Norm.

I feel one of the chronic issues with driving today is that people seem totally disconnected from the world around them. They are only thinking of themselves, right this moment in time. Many people go through life these days (and it's not just in driving) not thinking at all. They are in auto pilot nearly all the time, rushing here, dashing there and just not thinking about what they are doing. That guy in that truck likely does not understand that he's driving a 250 HP, 6000 lb chuck of steel and glass. It's a certainly a weapon, and people just can't understand that.

A guy pulled a left hand turn in front of my wife two weeks ago, both cars likely doing 40-50 km/h. The road was nearly empty at 6:30 in the morning in my sleepy little town. She in our Mazda5, he in a later Jeep Cherokee. Air bags fully deployed, cars both were totaled. He too was very sorry and admitted full fault, thankfully. I give him credit for that, he was honest and owned up. To be honest, that is even hard to find these days, so we are lucky, and in retrospect I want to shake the guys hand for that. But what the hell universe was he in at the time! The car had headlights and driving lights on, and even though the roads were wet, it wasn't raining and the sun was fully up.

I don't know what to say, sorry this had to happen to you, because no matter how you look at it, everyone looses. My only suggesting that we can lobby for right now to at least start to solve the issues, as I've said to many people over the last 10 years - as pathetic a drivers test we had to pass inthe first place, make everyone do this same test every 5 years. At least we'd have a grasp on who gets to continue to drive. I swear that there would be a 80-90% failure rate today if everyone took the basic road test right now. how's that for fixing the traffic congestion issue. But what politician would ever stand up and suggest such a move? Enough of my ranting.

Byron


Who here has never made a bad decision, bad estimation, wrong choice or simply cut someone off or pulled out in front of another driver? It happens and doesn't mean these people are aholes, well unless their driving record says otherwise. I remember in drivers education one of the things the instructor said that has stuck is that when some people get into their car they become a different person if being good or bad there's a change. I don't disagree there are bad drivers out there but their far and few, but I do understand the frustration of this and the heartbreak and really sorry this happened, but look at it as an opportunity for improvements from someone elses wallet 8>)
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

User avatar
RMS
Supporter
Posts: 1469
Joined: 12 Oct 2009 01:03
Location: Richmond BC Canada

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby RMS » 30 Sep 2016 09:02

Three B's Racing wrote:
in drivers education
:lol: :lol: :lol:

no such class in BC schools. and even if you take ten tries to back up out of a parking stall during your road test you will pass.

they hammer the rules with zero focus on control. backing up around a corner wile staying within two feet of the curb would weed out half of the drivers on our roads.

when driving around Richmond I expect to encounter full visor wearing drivers traveling 10 to 20k under the posted. the guy who passed me on the strait will break in the apex and crawl out of the turn. 40% will fail to use a signal. unintentional lane changes will occur in every intersection that crosses bridge port (bit of a jog)and at some point a vehicle in the inside lane with a left signal on will make a right crossing my lane with not as much as a shoulder check. and don't get me started on traffic circles, line hoppers or the zipper effect.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

User avatar
bertvorgon
Supporter
Posts: 9904
Joined: 04 Aug 2003 20:45
Location: White Rock, B.C. Canada

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby bertvorgon » 12 Oct 2016 19:29

I think it is safe to say, due to the weather prediction of the tail end of a typhoon to hit us on Saturday, that we will NOT be going to Fort Casey this weekend.

I am still open for a drive later of we get a better weather window, as I did insure my car till January.

I spent this afternoon after work taking my hanging planters down, getting my old place ready for some strong winds, and dragging out all my extra lights.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

User avatar
funwithmonkeys
Supporter
Posts: 856
Joined: 05 Sep 2013 09:34
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby funwithmonkeys » 12 Oct 2016 19:31

The way it is going I might make it for the last drive of the year after all. Depending on when the sheet metal gets here that is.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?

User avatar
bertvorgon
Supporter
Posts: 9904
Joined: 04 Aug 2003 20:45
Location: White Rock, B.C. Canada

Re: OCTOBERFAST 2016

Postby bertvorgon » 15 Oct 2016 07:16

Wow, we sure got hammered yesterday here in White Rock, not looking forward to the next one, which will hit us straight on from over the water. My windows this morning are covered in salt residue...why our 510's rusted so badly here.

The people behind us have had no power all night. They are saying we will get hit with up to 100 KMH winds, which will not be good for my place. You will know if I get blown into Saskatchewan if the area code changes.

Good thing we got out last weekend. I had my goofy starting issue again when first started in the morning, so I have removed and cleaned EVERY ground point for the battery and engine to body.

I moved my Boler yesterday back to work, so it is not sitting under my massive cedar tree.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer


Return to “Events”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest