Knox Mountain Cruise 2017

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Knox Mountain Cruise 2017

Post by bertvorgon »

Here we are, a week at away from Knox already. This is the 60th year for the Hillclimb and for me, 20 years since I last ran it. I dedicated 14 years to try and break that 2 minute barrier, going backwards a few times and lucking out of never having a crash. I have seen way to many 510's written off over the years so I consider myself very lucky, considering the speeds I was hitting towards the end.

Some years I just got stuck at one time, seemed like I could not get past the 2:02 barrier. Knox is about horse power and stick. One year I put a temp gauge on my intake, to see what was going on. I saw 350+F.! This prompted an upgrade to an inter-cooler and a 3" stainless exhaust, to both cool things down and open up the engine for better flow. In 1997 it was a culmination of all the efforts to make the car hill climb friendly so to speak. I bought the freshest, stickiest tires at the time, went to a faster burning fuel, way softer brake pads, ice water spray for the inter-cooler....and...holding my breath going through Turn 7 wide open, which is a very scary proposition. I pulled it off and hung up my helmet for the Knox Hillclimb, the rules being changed based on my car being so fast with no full roll cage. Fair enough and I just did not want to cage my car and I was suffering from 25 years of hardcore racing, so was a bit burnt out.

We 510'ers have been asked to attend a car show and for ex-racers, a spot under a tent to show our Knox racers. I am doing up some photos of all 510's that ran in the time period I was there: 1982 - 1997. Any memorabilia would be cool also. I have a few things I will drag along if I can fit them in.

I entertain to leave South Surrey at about 4:00 AM, being at the Hope Chevron by 5:30 AM and we can convoy up, safety in numbers. I plan to hike the hill up the APEX trail to the top finish line, then slowly work my way down the hill over the day, should any one want to do that with me. The gate opens for car show people at 8:00 AM I am told. Weather can be all over the map at Knox, so plan accordingly for clothing, footwear ( if hiking) and a pack with water, sun tan lotion as most of us are still WHITE with our lack of sun this spring.

Who knows what the weather will be a week from now, so we will re visit this as we go. Can someone give me Jamie Mitchell's phone number, I need to keep him up to speed too, as he wants to come.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Byron510

Re: Knox Mountain Cruise 2017

Post by Byron510 »

Pm'd

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Hope to see all of you there. Drive safe and pray Knox Mountain doesn't turn into Knox Island.
gooned

Post by gooned »

Ugh, 5:30 in Hope....OK I'm planning on heading up with you guys, will re-confirm closer to.

Yeah I'm wondering how bad the flood might be too, it's been awhile for me at Knox as I have not been on the "new" bridge yet.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Who all might do the cruise?

So far me, Byron, Jason K, Jamie and possibly James.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Keith, I'm out. An iffy looking weather week me would have had me going with you. But the long weekend is looking really good now, and the family has been really wanting to go camping. It'll be a great weekend to go to Knox through. Have fun.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Sounds good. I have been putting together a picture display of some of the 510's that ran with me through that time period, plus a few significant others, looks kinda good If I do not say so myself.

I'm getting quite excited with the prospect of good weather now, going to prep up the car tomorrow for fuel, plugs, survival pack, etc.

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

Snow on the Coq forecast for tonight,sounds like we should expect flooding along the lakeshore, but the weather looks to be awesome for the weekend. 8)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I have a snorkel kit for the 510.

Fueled up the car today plus misc. other bits and pieces. Looks like it is just me heading up, maybe Jamie.

With a few days of sun the snow will hopefully be gone. Just have to see what Friday afternoon brings to make a call for a 4:00 AM Saturday leave.

Knox will be ok for flooding, Mission Creek is to the south and the Lake it self will take time to rise.

Keith Law
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

I'll be heading down this Friday from Edmonton with my wife-- but sadly not in our 510. It's not ready for a long trip yet. Even so I'm really looking forward to meeting whatever Datsun folks can make it. Knox has been on my list for a long time and lots of stuff had to be juggled to make it finally work this year, but the arrangements are made and we're on!

If there are 510s in the car show I guess that'll be an obvious spot to meet. Otherwise I'm just wondering a bit about how to make the connection since I've never met *any* of you Realmers in person! :o
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Steve,

The gates open to the public at 9:00. I will be hanging around my car for awhile when I get there (8:00 - 8:30 ish)

There is an "in-field" area where the car show and vendors are, you won't miss it. I like to be there for the drivers meeting.

Saturday May 20
7:00 Race Volunteer Registration at start line
7:30 Mandatory Novice Drivers Meeting at start line
7:45 Mandatory Novice Drivers course tour leaving from start line
8:00 Car show gate opens for entry of Car show vehicles
8:30 Mandatory drivers meeting at start line
9:00 Opening Ceremonies at Start Line
9:00 Gates Open to Public ($20.00 all access day pass, or $25.00 weekend pass)
9:00 to 5:00 60th Anniversary Tent
9:00 to 5:00 Annual Peoples Choice Show and Shine (infield Knox Mountain Park)

9:00 to 5:00 First day of racing for King of the Hill
9:15 First Practice Run
--Group 1
--Group 2
--Hands Together For a Cure
11:00 Bavarian Gardens Open
11:00 First Official Run
--Group 1
--Group 2
2:00pm
--Group 1
--Group 2
4:00pm
--Group 1
--Group 2
4:30 Peoples Choice car show voting ends
6:00 Racing ends
7:00 Bavarian Garden close

Keith Law
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Hey Keith, thanks for the detailed info. Should be easy for us to meet, since you're willing to hang around for a while in an obvious spot. I'll make sure I wear a Datsun T-shirt to make things a little easier on your end! :D

Looks to me like you're planning to head up on Saturday morning then, right? For some reason I initially thought you were talking about Sunday... but the schedule you've clipped & pasted suggests not. Can't find anything in the previous messages that addresses this. Are you staying over for both days of the event?
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I will be wearing a 510 or Datsun type shirt also, you won't miss me, Grey haired old fart.

I am going up just for Saturday, I'm used to long days like this. This will be an 18-19 hour day for me...ROAD TRIP! Are you a hiker? I plan to walk up the hill to the top, then work my way back down, watch at a few key corners. I will go at what ever pace is good for you..or..wait for me... :lol: Fun to watch the cars up the straight and see who does not lift in Turn 7. I was hitting 115-117 MPH here in 1997.

I will hang around till I meet you.

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

So confirming I'm in, meet you up by hiway at 264? Not sure what time that will be?
Spend the day hiking around with you guys but will be staying up Sat night with friends in Faulder. Oh yeah, Jamie is a maybe as of tonight.
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

Great plan Keith (& others). I'm also grey haired and-- according to our sons at least-- in the "old fart" category. There are certain circumstances under which I'd dispute that... but it's becoming more true all the time.

Saturday it is then! I told Brenda about the offer to hike up and putter our way down, and let's just say it remains a distinct possibility for at least one of us. Should have a better idea by the time we meet on Saturday morning exactly how our household looks upon the day. :?
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata