WINTHROP Drive 2017

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: WINTHROP Drive 2017

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It would probably be best that I do fuel up there.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Ok, we will stay in the left lane. I promise not to get lost this time!

Funny, i have wandered about the wilderness for my life, yet get lost in a few traffic round-a-bouts...go figure
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

You were just enjoying turning left way too much.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Jeez...and I don't really like NASCAR
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

Have a fun day gents, not getting away with a few home priorities before the weather goes, kids and I are bummed...
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

What time & where are you meeting again? I would like to go. Got a few things to do tonight but will ready for the morning.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Same bat place, same bat time.
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

So that Vorgen dude wants us at the Campbell valley store at 5:00....ish?
260z owner
510 wannabe
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, I would like to cross the Border at 5:30, and hour to Sedro Woolley, fuel up and hopefully we encounter very little traffic and hit the Liberty Bell view point as the sun hits it.

I'm getting up at 3:30, which is only an hour earlier than I usually do, this is the only bonus since I started work earlier to beat the traffic insanity.

I will be there at about 5:10.......

Keith Law
66DUCE

Post by 66DUCE »

Ok sounds good see you there.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

3:30...no fog...no dew...HP air temp...now to get some coffee in me......

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

What an epic drive. Thanks guys for coming out. It was like the stars aligned. Cars turning off the road just as we get behind them. Everyone just seemed to wave us by. Even the park ranger used the pullout so we could get by. Fast corner after fast corner....I'm pretty sure we had about 45 min at one point of just fast corners. That was definitely the best drive I have been on so far.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I won't even write a story on this one..how can you describe the pace that we went at through those fast left, right, left right sweepers, all the time climbing to the pass at 5,400ft. What a blast. I wound the speedo to the bottom of the gauge at one point for Norm and I. This highway was made for our cars, lots of rollers in the corners where you had to be on your toes and read the road, to let the car settle. Then, just banked left/righters, zipping through them between 70 and 80 miles an hour, really feeling the g-forces. My hands are actually quite stiff right now for gripping the wheel for so long.

I made it back to the plant on a tank of fuel, crazy considering the amount of throttle and boost I used.

Dean...where did you go? Johnathan and I waited at Aldergrove crossing for you and finally left. Sorry about that.

I swear I will make maps for everyone on our next trip and have FIXED rally points to stop at.

That was a 12 hour day in the saddle, we did some 415 miles ( I will double check GPS ) on Monday.

What a really fun and exciting drive!

Pictures to follow.

Keith Law
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

Like Keith and Norm said, fantastic road and great drive. Those high speed sweepers seemed to go on forever. Think I'm going to install a nitrous bottle for some passing power, very frustrating getting stuck behind some of the traffic on the way back. :mrgreen:

Sorry Keith, I lost you guys in Lyndon and got totally turned around. I figured you would head across the border without me so I stopped for fuel and had a peek around.

Thanks for leading the parade as always....good times.
260z owner
510 wannabe
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

Sorry about that Dean, I should have stayed on the main route, I do like to jiggy-jog through the back roads just to see what is out there. I have never seen so many churches in such a small area as Lyndon!

As Norm said, it was like it was planned that as we came upon slow traffic, a magic pull-out appeared and they would pull over, I think I only rolled off the throttle once. After crossing the Border and heading down to 16th then #99, I really do see a difference in drivers. We are just way to flaky and scattered here. Every Washington driver stayed at the speed limit and was watching their mirrors, here, people are all over the speed range. I like that law where if you are holding up 5 or more cars, you have to pull over. Even more that Norm gets his nitrous so that keeps us as a 5 car convoy!!!

I can feel my shoulders today from all that high speed cornering for so long, there is a LOT of force required on the steering wheel to hold the car on line with the amount of castor we run. Even with this being the third season on my tires, I had no issue with grip, I just love those 048's! This type of driving is what these tires were designed for.

As a technical comment, in respect to rear end gearing, Norm had to go down one gear set for this trip. In the past, with his fantastic lower end torque, he would be right with me until my boost built up. This trip had me pulling away quite smartly. For the shear performance advantage, I would pick shorter gears any day of the year, who really ever needs top end speed ( most motors cannot pull that anyhow) and if you are after quieter on the hiway, get a Mazda 3.

Great drive, best of the year now, I should be over my goal of 2,000 miles this season and most of it has been on road trips, out on the Great Rolling Dyno.

If the weather hangs in over the next month, lets see if we can get some sort of local cruise in, it won't be like this one that's for sure.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 17 Sep 2017 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Law