2018 Summer Drive

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2018 Summer Drive

Post by bertvorgon »

ok Yah..MISSED YAH NORM!!!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

That looks like it was fun. I got out for a drive up here yesterday. As it was I would have been getting into West Van Friday night at almost 11:30 after 4 hours of sleep on Thursday night I really didn't think it would be a good plan to go on a drive with 3 hours sleep.

It sounds like you are enjoying the new tires. I am very happy with the Nankangs so far. On a hot day they get really sticky and the grip is astounding. Just like the A048 and the A050 I have dove into corners at speeds that I am not sure if they are going to hold and come through with no drama thinking I could have gone quite a bit faster. I will be in on the next drive and duct taped to your bumper.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I tried to let Trevor in the Porsche be the RCMP magnet, but he was too clever for me and did not take the bait!
It is incomprehensible to me that these type of tires have this much grip. I wish I had these at the Knox Mountain hillclimb. I went down on tire pressure again, I think on my car happy point is 28 cold. It was hard and meaning less to check tire pressure as we had slowed down in most of our entry points to parking.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I know these Nankangs are happy at very low pressures. The harder sidewall keeps them sharp. I have gone all the way down to 18 cold and they feel the same as at 24. For fun I deflated one to 0psi and looking at them you could not tell which one it was.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
gooned

Post by gooned »

Dave!

How cool is that, looks like a good outing guys.
msaunders
Supporter

Post by msaunders »

Ah crap, my son and I missed you guys by about 30 mins! We spent the afternoon at the park anyways. Looks like a great drive. I’ll catch you on the next one.

Matt
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

As Keith eluded, I really need to get off my ass, build and install the surge tank! I didn’t top up in Hope, as I knew we were all stopping in Princeton. And although the speeds were not extreme, the grip generated by our good tires is certainly enough to uncover the fuel pick up. The esses just after entering Manning Park are a beautifly contoured, banked and consistant radius set of bends - it’s always a fun section of road. But even I was surprised that this fuel starvation could happen at 1/2 tank, it did catch me off guard. Basically it like throwing the ignition switch, the A/F meter goes full lean and you just wait for the throttle to come back - there’s just nothing you can do. In this case I just drifted a bit wide to try and get the fuel back sooner. As it was four lanes and zero traffic, I had that opportunity. And I was only running the Yoko S Drives! I can’t imagine what would have happened on the A048’s with this extreme level of grip. I’m thinking the turn in alone would be enough to uncover the pickup!

At any rate, I had to back peddle for the remainder of the drive to Princeton. Need to get on this mod - very soon!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

hey Matt,

Sorry, we did wait till 10;45, thinking I had told you 10;00 to 10:30. Yes, next time!

Actually, we will just come to your place. I like my steak medium well, ice cold ginger ale and my lawn chair at a 45 degree angle.

Keith Law
Alveen240/610

Post by Alveen240/610 »

I've got bunch of drive pix bt it dnt allow me to post.
I was the last one down n had my dash cam on