Post by msaunders »

Awesome. Thanks for sharing Keith
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2018 SCCA Runoffs..Run to the Championship

Post by bertvorgon »

Race update:

Found the track....no problem today.

GT 1 race was a bit of a parade, Mike Lewis in the Jag just ran away with it.

Troy won.! Joe Huffaker went out on first lap, no idea why. Paul was back in the field.

Cleaning up car, bleeding brakes, valve check, zillion other things.
Attachments
Troy wins!.jpg
Troy wins!.jpg (500.28 KiB) Viewed 5771 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Another incredible day, saw motoring nirvana today. Races were ok, but not quite the big fields here for some of the classes. Spec Miata should be a good one and the GT 2 race is also running. Saw my friend Glen in his Spec racer, overwhelmed by the level of competition and struggling with car set up. We offered some thoughts.

Ok, Andy and I went for an amazing walk to some more private garages, HOLY COW.....HISTORY IN FRONT OF US,,,,,,,

In two different garages were these Formula 1 and Indy cars. One of the cars was the one used in the movie RUSH, Niki Lauda's, which was on it's way to a car show, plus another. I will post up when I get back to van, but here is few teasers from the shops.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Niki's car
Attachments
vintage race cars.jpg
vintage race cars.jpg (476.22 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
niki lauda.jpg
niki lauda.jpg (526.81 KiB) Viewed 5741 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

People were so friendly and just invited us in and said take all the pictures you want. We spent over an hour in the one shop. Some of the guys have been here since the beginning and know all the famous drivers. Hot day here.

The old NASPORT crowd threw a dinner party in the pits tonight, that was too cool listening to all the racing and engine building things that have been tried, that was an education.

I walked about 2 miles today looking at cars.

Some very serious money here.

In an American market store you can buy wine in a 45 gallon drum for 9.99. I think our gang has now gone through 3 drums, there are 8 of us here now.

Traffic in the pits is crazy at times, race cars heading to pre-grid, coming off track, golf carts and atvs going at speed, delivery trucks, pedestrian traffic, bikes...yikes...I learned to watch my back big time.

Keith Law
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

Great reports Keith, I always phone the brewery ahead of time to put an extra shift on when we head down.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

GT 2 race was good, battle for first was just that, the second place Camaro finally past the mustang...and then the race gods took out the mustang!

Sound was awesome, cannot imagine what the noise would be like with NASCAR, you would need double ear protection.

Did I mention the barbecue fire last night at the house.......Andy thought we would get some 1" thick steaks for the grill. I got the micrometer out and they were up to spec.....so..we throw them on the nearby....

Now....this barbecue has NOT been cleaned EVER! So, we are all inside cracking the next 45 gallon drum of vino when Collin says....."I smell plastic burning!" I run outside and behold......

Have you ever seen the videos with the runaway diesel engines...and the jet cars....?

There is two columns of black smoke coming out the top....and brilliant yellow flame blowing out the bottom....holy crap. The fat from the steak has hit critical temperature, ignited, and then lit the fire box on fire. WOW.....I
I had to get another couple of glasses of wine....the steaks survived after we cold chiseled the carbon layer off of them..
The owners of that home need to do some serious maintenance. We thought about throwing it off the porch, but, California has had enough with fires.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Spec Miata, 48 angry, pissed off hornets blazed around, what barn burner, great race and do those boys know how to drift at 95 mph, all in pack.
The 3 Goodyear engineers came around to check Collins tires.....they looked like kids to me, very smart people though.

All good in tire wars!

Next race is T1, up in 15 mins.

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Final races of the day were for the most part uneventful. Good racing, I shot some high quality video of first laps, have to figure out how to host/post.

Was very privaledged to meet another long time competitor of Collin',s Jose Rodriquez, driving a Mazda RX7. To listen to the two talk about some race strategy for tomorrow was very insightful of how the professional drivers mind works. We also learned some things about Mike Lewis's car that will definately help Collins strategy, nuff said ......

Also...all you young guys out there...keep a log book....as Jose kept one, he was able to go back in time and saw where he lost the rabbit and had been chasing something that he did not have to. This really may change the race and the finishing order, I will leave it at that.

Jose was also really funny guy, and i mean funny, talking about past racing incidents.

Thanks for stopping by the garage Derek, nice to see you.

Tomorrow will be intense to say the least, i can feel tension building tonight after we stopped for pizza. Lots of rechecking the car in the am AGAIN.

I am going to take 15 mins and wash the G35 and get the California dust, haze and high speed bugs off.
Attachments
old suzuki.jpg
old suzuki.jpg (504.26 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
T 1 race.jpg
T 1 race.jpg (379.62 KiB) Viewed 5662 times

Keith Law
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Link for live streaming.

GT3 at 3:40 pm per Keith’s first post.

https://www.scca.com/pages/runoffs-live ... out=iframe
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning world.

Really cool and foggy at the track this morning, T2 race just finishing. One guy is leaving a 60 foot strip of rubber as he does big slides through turn 10 at 100 mph....impressive.

Just fueled up the car, waiting to bleed brakes and put on NEW tire reliefs..

Got woken up at 4 am by Collins mom screaming during a very bad dream...scared the hell out of me...I thought Charlie Manson was in the house....I have been awake since then...rats!

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Andy and Glenda checking and cleaning.
Attachments
prepping the car.jpg
prepping the car.jpg (534.39 KiB) Viewed 5620 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I slipped into the Lewis pit and got a picture of the car. Fog is starting lift, I hope to warm up soon.
Attachments
Mike Lewis rx7.jpg
Mike Lewis rx7.jpg (458.56 KiB) Viewed 5615 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

In our fantasy world, this is what we should get at the pumps.......20 lbs boost here we come....
Attachments
pump gas...._.jpg
pump gas...._.jpg (417.71 KiB) Viewed 5614 times

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Glen Woloski's sports racer,, his race is just after lunch, 1:30
Attachments
Glens racer.jpg
Glens racer.jpg (493.46 KiB) Viewed 5612 times

Keith Law