bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2018 SCCA Runoffs..Run to the Championship

Post by bertvorgon »

Tires are back on, car on ground.
Attachments
tires back on 12_00noon.jpg
tires back on 12_00noon.jpg (439.97 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Glen survived to finish 24th out of 36 cars! He was on the lead lap too.

Fog cleared and sunny, hoping for more heat for the "tire war".

Signing off for awhile now, final run down to the race....we are heading off to either the turn 8 bleachers or, I may watch from the exit of turn 10, fastest and scariest part of the course and the cars come right at you, at 116 mph, if Collin keeps his speed.

Glen at speed car# 166
Attachments
Glen at speed.jpg
Glen at speed.jpg (391.08 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Well, it appears you guys might need $20 worth of wine tonight. Well done Collin, Andy, and all the support crew.

Thanks for the updates Keith.

My heart rate is still around 190. Sheesh.
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Wow. He won by .052. That is pretty close.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

HOLY COW....WAS THAT A NAIL BITER AT THE END 3 LAPS!!!!!!!!!

Collin said his front tires were going, Lewis said his back tires were going. What a display of car control, the TV feed does not really show it.

I truly have not been that wound up for a long time, we were watching in the turn 7/8 bleachers and just screaming at the end.
This tops my bucket list.

Car in impound right now, hope to see it soon, we are not allowed in.

I will of course post up a whole draft of pictures when I get home.

Thanks for all your support.
Attachments
on the podium.jpg
on the podium.jpg (501.61 KiB) Viewed 5521 times
Keith at winners lane.jpg
Keith at winners lane.jpg (417.46 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
Collin wins.jpg
Collin wins.jpg (409.14 KiB) Viewed 5529 times

Keith Law
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

5 in a row - that’s amazing!

Congratulations Colin, and team for an extremely well done job!

Glad you were there Keith to keep us updated, thanks so much.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Awesome!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

I was gone camping and climbing over the weekend and was looking forward to opening this thread and reading the results. You guys didn't disappoint! Congratulations Collin! Wish I could have seen it in person. I'm really looking forward to watching the replay!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World,

Well, I proved to myself yesterday I can still drive long distances.I drove the whole way back yesterday, 955 miles (1,536 KM ) !!!! Took me 15.5 hours, Drove some incredible roads, Highway 101 to Crescent City, then cut over on 199 to Grants Pass, what a road that was, even got to tune up a guy in a Jetta who tried to follow me through the twistys.

Collin warned me that if it was foggy, I would not see much of the coast and he was right, only got two places where I got great vistas of the waves coming in, so I thought no point going any further on the coast, either up to Florence or beyond. Lots of hi-way construction too, so that was cutting into my travel time.

The G35 ran like a clock other than my CD player died for some reason. Got around 700 Km to a tankful of fuel, have to calculate my fuel economy. That really is a great car for road trips, handles the high speed, bumpy U.S. highways very well.

U. S. radio sucks as bad as ours and I still hate Country and Western Music.

I was late enough when I got to both Portland and Seattle that traffic was moving FAST..... cripes, Vancouver drivers would never survive the highways down there, you need to be ON IT.....NO hesitation...and foot to the floor to 120+...I was getting past by old lady's...and I kid you not.

What a week that was, I will never forget it, the history, the very cool and brilliant minds working there, and of course, the race for the Championship. Collin ran his usual smart race, knowing his strength and where Mike's tire were going to go. The Mazda guys have whined over the years so they have a power advantage of some 20 - 30+ Hp, and of course Collin has to run the 32 MM restrictor.

I have never seen so much wine consumed, the grocery store there sure had a spike in sales!!!!

Paul Corbett was in the customs booth last night, so we talked for 10 minutes about the race, that was really funny.

I will of course photo bomb with some more pictures later today when I figure out how to get them off the tablet.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 23 Oct 2018 13:12, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Law
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Funny you say that about our highways. Having the 4.44 gears is rad for autox but on the freeways I'm at 4200 RPMs or higher in the slow lane... I've been trying to find a way to fix it and I finally sorted it out! If I run 3.54 gears with the 13's that will be on my car soon mated to the SR 6 speed I will have the exact same 2nd gear ratio and all the rest will be better, along with a 6th gear, which will put me at 3000rpms at the same speed as the 5 with 4.44's was at 4200!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

My G with the 6 speed runs about 2,900 RPM at 75 MPH, so nice and calm. I did hit 102 MPH when leaving the Jetta and really woke him up on a very tight corner where I did not touch the brakes.

I have to compliment you Yanks for getting the rest stops right! Every 30 to 40 miles, with good coffee. Here, we are lucky if there is one stinking pit toilet, that has not been cleaned in years. So very sad when you think about how we want to cater to tourists.

Keith Law
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Ooooh Keith is back!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

This Highway #199 was just crazy at the start, it twists and turns through GIANT redwood trees, where I kid you not, I had to watch my side mirrors that they did not hit the tree, and corners were TIGHT, 25 - 35 MPH and they were not kidding.

This picture is of the main road but, some were even closer than this. I got into a good rhythm on the twistys, but, still was unsure of the final grip on my new Yokohamas. I promised my wife I would come home in one piece. That was a fun section for about 30 miles I guess, then it opened up and got busier.
Attachments
red wood trees.jpg
red wood trees.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 5381 times

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

The northern Cali redwood forests are pretty spectacular.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I did a total of 1,961 miles ( 3,155 km). What was interesting, at least for me, was my moving average of 62 MPH, speaks to the high hi-way speeds, when I consider some slow construction zones that I got caught in, plus small town America. Cpt. America was truly behind every billboard in said small town, 55 MPH...45 MPH...35 MPH and you wanted to be doing 30 MPH in my books. I did not mess with any speed zones at all!

Yes, I would like to go back to the Red Woods and take time to really camp there, plus go to some of those beaches on the coast.

I still am blown away at both volume and speed of the traffic, until of course the rush hour stuff, then of course was the congestion during said rush hour, headlights as far as the eye could see, three lanes wide.

Vancouver is screwed with our lack of forward planning.

Keith Law