FORT CASEY REDUX 2019

Shows, cruises & motorsport events.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: FORT CASEY REDUX 2019

Post by bertvorgon »

It's not really the rain vs tire issue for me...I will be the first to admit I just HATE driving my car in the rain..period.

I have driven in the rain with all my sticky tires and except for the WORST of standing water puddles, they are Ok. I came back from a Canby once in pouring rain, no problem other than the odd moment of floating.

If it is pee'ing rain at our destination, that is no fun either....see below....

I have this thing called a G35 which I drove to Knox for the day, if I want to drive, I have lots of vehicles to chose from.

You gotta remember, I have been a car guy for my whole life and at 69 now, I just hate cleaning stuff, as I have had that lifetime of being anal about my cars being clean. My so called "race" brakes do not have seals in them either and I hate to park the car if on return it is wet.

I like the DRY open road for what it is and a gray, rainy day I have lived more than most, camping, back packing and working out of doors.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Point taken. But I'm a car guy too and we're not getting any younger. Our cruising days are getting less and less. To cancel cruise just on the "chance " of hitting rain doesn't seem productive to me. You can have a day that's 90% glorious sunshine and 10% drizzle/rain. Those are days to be enjoyed and that's more what I'm talking about. Now a day that's chucking down Rain all day is a different storey. Nobody enjoys those.

I've run Racing brakes for decades as a daily driver. No dust boots and it didn't affect the brakes one iota. I'm a car guy too... Anal as can be... but not about cleaning. Sure I like to keep my cars looking good. But a " Little " Rain and some dirt doesn't bother me one bit. My feeling is that our days have a time limit. As that clock ticks by I want to enjoy things as much as I can. I think on that level you've been much more active than myself.

Living in Coquitlam all my life, I've had to adapt to rain on a personal level. White Rock and Tsawwassen get so much more sunshine than us. I'm envious. Andy mentioned to me how he had so much more energy since Specialty moved to Delta from New West. It's always sunnier the farther you get away from these mountains. It can be pissing rain here all day long... but sunny in South Surrey... Sigh.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

I have an Audi Quattro as well. For long drives it can't be beaten. But I " enjoy " driving the Z car much more. Juts so much sensory input.

May be a vanity thing... but the amount of smiles and thumbs up that you get from other drivers is always a great thing. Talking to fellow enthusiasts at just about every rest stop and fueling stop is fun too. You don't get that in the Audi or probably even the G35.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

is this a geezer bench race on the go? :P i wanna know how my nitto invo's will do in the rain, so bring it on. :mrgreen:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Well, as I do not have ownership of a drive....you guys can giv'er bullets in the rain..... :lol:

GEEZER.....I will hike all you young guys right off the map.....just did a 30 KM bike ride yesterday.....

I just hope it's a reasonable Saturday, that's all....I like driving my Datsun.... :D

And NO, no one comments on my G35...and that's ok, as it is a wonderful machine to drive in "comfy mode" and it rips pretty good at that...
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Maybe I should move to White Rock... so Keith could whip me into shape. I'm beginning to look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.... :(
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

yes your g35 can boogie no dout. wish i could do all that Keith, but this geezer is a gibbled . :|
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Hey Keith. Is It Ok to link this to some of the Pointy Nose guys. My be couple more who want to join .
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Sure, the more the merrier! Are you able to contact Dean?

So far it is Mike, Norm, me and maybe Paul in the Gordini. Long gone are the drives with a dozen 510s.

Keith Law
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

Meh.....I have a family commitment this Saturday, won’t be able to make it.
260z owner
510 wannabe
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I can make a phone call...get that changed....

Keith Law
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

I can see it on the Marquee now....Bertvorgen stars in “The Fixer”
260z owner
510 wannabe
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

SHOULD..Saturday be a wash...who is ok for Sunday? Next week looks awesome, we should just go mid week ha. ha. retirement has its benefits.

Weather changes as we speak, at this moment, Saturday looks ok? Sunday is the beginning of our next warm up.

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

i'm good, what ever day works for the group i'm in. :mrgreen:
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I cannot do Sunday.
My friend Jonathan is also in for Saturday.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?