Photo Editing/Resizing and Posting here

Problems, Comments, Questions regarding the website
rnorrish

Photo Editing/Resizing and Posting here

Post by rnorrish »

http://www.drpic.com/

a neat online photo editor. could be handy if anyone doesn't have anything better than MS Paint.
after using that on all you Datsun 510 pictures, post them here!

Upload to the 510 Realm

the best way to include images here seems to be to upload them on the the site here.
it then creates a clickable thumbnail to see the larger full size image.
I'm not sure of the upload file size limit. I always thought it was around 120KB, but I just uploaded an image over 500KB...
the downsize is only three per post, but you can always make more posts.

once the file is the right size, it is a simple, straight forward solution.
select the 'Upload Attachment' tab.
attachment1.jpg
choose 'Browse' and choose the file you want.
this must be a .jpg image. (this can alo be a few other, non image formats, like a .pdf or .doc., i believe)
attachment2.jpg
once loaded, you can go through the uploading process again.
to add the picture into the middle of your post, 'Place Inline'.
if you uploaded the wrong one, the 'Delete File' is there too.
adding a comment can also give the image just a title, or an in depth description, or even a question.
comments end up here.
comments end up here.

Linking to Pictures off-site
the other way of including an image, is to link to another site using the [ img ] & [ /img ] tags.
this is useful if you want to use the images elsewhere, or use an online photo host for many reasons.

the downside to this method and this site, is the constant size of the forum.
there is no resizing, as the site never uploads the images.
the image size is then your responsibility.
this image shows the limited width... about 670px (pixels) wide, though the length/height is unaffected.

for 510 related photos, I highly recommend the PhotoPost at Datsun510.com
this site automatically resizes the images to a smaller viewable version:
as well as keeping the original version:
you can see here, the original is too large and gets cut off, where the resized version fits, as it is down to 600px.
(this works too, with various work arounds that we all have discovered. but is a small hassle. I prefer to use Firefox and 'View Image' which then works like a thumbnail. just don't forget to go Back, and not close the window, to continue reading the Realm)

to use any off-site image, place the web location:
(http://www.yadayadayada.com/something/picturefile.jpg)
between the IMG tags: Image
to find this location, right click on the image and select 'View Image' (in Firefox) or 'Properties' (Firefox or Internet Explorer).
copy and paste into your post, and add the IMG tags.
to get really fancy, one could use the URL tags as well to utilize both sizes.
example for above images:
click on image for full size...
the code for above wrote:

click on image for full size...
replace with your file locations and voila!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
510Freak
Supporter

Re: Photo Editing/Resizing and Posting here

Post by 510Freak »

Good post Rich
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks Richard..if I only new what your talking about...the grey hair you knwo...at least I got the video working,
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Keith, you just keep doing what you're doing.
You've been posting images here just fine... a tad small sometimes, but eh! us beggars can't be choosers.

where did I loose you?

PS: did you ever get a CD together of those bad processing shots?
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

And, if you guys want photo retouching (i.e. color correcting and manipulating...I do it for a living, so "hit me up."
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

website? portfolio?
i'm looking into as a possible career direction to fund being a photographer...
thanks!
richard norrish
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

rnorrish wrote:website? portfolio?
i'm looking into as a possible career direction to fund being a photographer...
thanks!
Who me? Website...in the works (as I have to build it) and portfolio...well, I have a lot of stuff, just not put together as I am am currently employed and am some what lazy after work. But, what are you looking for?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

just curious.
i'm finishing school next month and am building a portfolio for grad based on corrections, manipulation, etc...
photoshop skills basically.
i wanted to do something practical and different, but not Food, Fine Art, or Fashion, yada yada like everyone else
richard norrish
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning Richard,,
yah, I figured I would just keep doing what I have been doing, re photos.

That is neat that you have taken photography. My kids did that, and now Matt has really taken off with his digital photography. He got one of the photo programs. We have been just stunned as to how quickly he has learned to operate the "dark room" in both the camera, and photo manipulation. His new 35MM DSLR is just amazing, and he has now also gone back to taking regular film also. He resurected my old camera, then got himself a newer 35 off Craigs lists, complete with a multitude of lenses. Some professional photographer was blowing stuff out at crazy prices. He has now been ta;ling about setting up my dark room stuff again. I took photography at Langara way back in the 70's.

As I have been overwelmed with "projects" this past year, scanning in the photos is a slow process, and there are quite a few that suffered that fading from the improper developing. Not many from the race stuff ( relatively speaking) but quite a few trips from my other hiking/4x4/adventure stuff. I have been concentrating on getting all my video transferred to DVD first, which I think I am about done with. Then, I want to edit that down to a couple of good DVD's, with all the 510 stuff on it/them.

With my Mom's passing back in March, we have found BOXES of photos from the the familys past, Holy Cripes, nothing got put into albums. So, as one of the last things we are going to do, as a family, is have a huge scanning weekend, higrade the photos into digital albums, etc.

Then, there have been my Dad's photo's, an unbelievable record of his time in England< France, Belgium, and Holland. He was in a photo reconnaissance squadron ( which is where I got my love of photography from) and has an incredible collection of B & W photos he brought back from the war.

Rob and I also talked about scanning in the 510 club newsletters, from the early days...yikes...there's a project.

I need to look into a faster, and I guess dedicated flat bed scanner. Anybody have any recomendations. I have a multi function printer right now, so I figure a dedicated one would be faster and better???!!!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer