78 510 flexplate

Problems, Comments, Questions regarding the website
510'er

78 510 flexplate

Post by 510'er »

Hello fellow 510 fans,
I have a '78 510 L20B with an automatic tranny.
Can anyone tell me which trans this?
The teeth on the flexplate are worn. Can this flexplate be turned to a different position or must it be replaced?
If anyone has a good used I would be interested.
Any help would be appreciated.
Byron510

Re: 78 510 flexplate

Post by Byron510 »

I think Datzenmike is the transmission pro here, but I believe all L20B and Z/ZX automatic flex plates will work for you (wait for Mike to confirm this).
It's a not a common item - most got scrapped! You can rotate the flex plate - I've noticed that most 4 cyl motors tend to stop in 2 90 degree quadrants...but the thing is on its way out, and who wants to do the job again in 6 months? Hope you find a better one; and change the starter at the same time so you don't destroy another flywheel!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i have a flexplate, it may be a 5bolt though... (L20 is likely a 6 bolt)

:idea: maybe the ring gear could be swapped like a flywheel???
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

As long as it has 6 bolts mounting it to the crank pretty much any 3N71B flexplate from a 4 or 6 cyl. L series OR Z (NAPS) series motor up to about '82 should work. Around '82 Nissan introduced a locking torque converter, and the flex plate is indented to clear the fatter torque converter. By looking at it I don't think they will work. BTW the 280zx up to '83 are fine, they did not get the locking torque converter.

Engine side of L3N71B and non-locking 3N71B right. You want the right side one.

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

Be sure you have one of these spacers (upper right one)on the end of your crankshaft, then the flexplate, then one of the other spacers to help support the plate. Think sandwich.

The end of the crank should look like this with the spacer on:

Without the spacer the flexplate will me mounted a fat 1/8" in closer to the block and the starter. Maybe this is why it is chewed up. If the tranny was off or motor swapped, the plate may have been forgotten.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
510'er

Post by 510'er »

Thanks to everybody for the help on this. Pulling the trans soon and will see what I've got. :mrgreen: