What has happened to The Realm?

Problems, Comments, Questions regarding the website
datzenmike
Supporter

What has happened to The Realm?

Post by datzenmike »

Posted an hour and a half ago and already it's gone or no longer in the 'view new posts'. Why are most of my posts moved like this. I come back to edit or add to them and they have disappeared from the page. In fact the whole page is blank... surely the last 12 to 24 hours of posts are relevant. When I see this I think the place is closed down.

There aren't a lot of posters here on The Realm any more. You should hang onto those that do.

mike
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
rnorrish

Re: What has happened to The Realm?

Post by rnorrish »

View New Posts only shows threads with posts you haven't seen since your last long in.
Using this method means if a thread is getting stale, it won't show up.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I didn't log out. I just came back and everything is gone. I'm sure it didn't used to be like this. Well maybe I'll try the View unread posts.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

No changes have been made! Let me know if your second look doesnt resolve anything
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Well it's been there all day since I posted this morning. I checked 3-4 times and there it was. Around 4 this PM it was no longer up. Till you posted. shrug
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I use the "view new posts" feature for this forum. I usually visit several times a day. I do not log out, I only close the page in my browser (google Chrome) When I return, I do not have to log in but only the new posts since the last time I visited show up. It has always worked like this for me.

When I visit Ratsun, I also use the "view new content" feature, but on Ratsun, It just lists the newest posts first. I can go back and see several days or more.

Just figured that each forum was formatted differently. Is there a way for the user to set up different options when using "view new posts" ? I would sometimes like to see what was posted recently w/o having to browse all the different catagories.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

At ratsun.net viewing new content shows unread post titles as bold type and any you have previously read as fainter.

If you want to edit your old post here and it's 'gone', clicking view new posts and view unread posts won't help as they don't apply. You have to then go to the board index and hunt and peck for it. (well unless you know it was in engine or suspension....) Seems lately they disappear sooner, when they used to hang around and work their way to the bottom of the page as others were added.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

datzenmike wrote:At ratsun.net viewing new content shows unread post titles as bold type and any you have previously read as fainter.

If you want to edit your old post here and it's 'gone', clicking view new posts and view unread posts won't help as they don't apply. You have to then go to the board index and hunt and peck for it. (well unless you know it was in engine or suspension....) Seems lately they disappear sooner, when they used to hang around and work their way to the bottom of the page as others were added.

If you want to view "your" old posts here, you can click on "view your posts" and it will show you every post you have subscribed to.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

qwik510 wrote: If you want to view "your" old posts here, you can click on "view your posts" and it will show you every post you have subscribed to.
Yeah, I see that. Well tonight the page is FULL!!! and staying there even though I looked everything over around 5 PM.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

rnorrish wrote:View New Posts only shows threads with posts you haven't seen since your last long in.
Using this method means if a thread is getting stale, it won't show up.

Again there were posts this morning I viewed one and several I didn't. Three hours later they are all gone. Can't they stay for 24+ hours before the site deems them stale? They seem to be mass relegated to stale unless you are lucky enough to be signed in two or three times a day. I don't mind if there are two or more pages of 'new posts' to sort through. They aren't stale, they just haven't been here long enough to be seen and answered.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Seems that when I log in and look at "new posts" I can see all the new posts since the last time I logged in. Even if I only read a few and If I don't read all of the new posts in that visit, they are gone on the next visit. But you can see them in unread posts.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

As Quick notes, this has always been the way for me. If I know I can't get through all of he posts, I don't sign in. Or I just click on unanswered posts and they will be there as well.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Can't know in advance I won't finish every post, so that's out. Unanswered posts are only those without replies. If someone answers them before I see them or come back then they stop being unanswered. My point is... when does a new post become an old (stale) post? 20 min? an hour? 4 hours? How about changing the setting to 24 or 36 hours to give it a chance to be seen? Hell why not leave it up permanently to be pushed farther to the rear as newer posts are added to the first page?? Perhaps limit it to two or three pages before retiring it.

I say again...
datzenmike wrote:Posted an hour and a half ago and already it's gone or no longer in the 'view new posts'. Why are most of my posts moved like this. I come back to edit or add to them and they have disappeared from the page. In fact the whole page is blank... surely the last 12 to 24 hours of posts are relevant. When I see this I think the place is closed down.

There aren't a lot of posters here on The Realm any more. You should hang onto those that do.

mike
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

datzenmike wrote:Can't know in advance I won't finish every post, so that's out. Unanswered posts are only those without replies. If someone answers them before I see them or come back then they stop being unanswered. My point is... when does a new post become an old (stale) post? 20 min? an hour? 4 hours? How about changing the setting to 24 or 36 hours to give it a chance to be seen? Hell why not leave it up permanently to be pushed farther to the rear as newer posts are added to the first page?? Perhaps limit it to two or three pages before retiring it.

I say again...
datzenmike wrote:Posted an hour and a half ago and already it's gone or no longer in the 'view new posts'. Why are most of my posts moved like this. I come back to edit or add to them and they have disappeared from the page. In fact the whole page is blank... surely the last 12 to 24 hours of posts are relevant. When I see this I think the place is closed down.

mike

Mike,

The Qwik links is user friendly.

Once you open the "new posts" they are only new for that visit. This shows any posts since your last visit. On the next visit, they are not in new posts. (They are no longer new to you)

Your other options to view them again are:

You can look at them in unread posts. This means unread by you. They are listed in the order from newest to oldest.

If you wrote about something and want to edit, you can go into " Your Posts" to find it. This shows all of your posts whether you started the topic or just replied in it.

I hope this helps.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

(shrug/sigh) I guess....

Elsewhere (Ratsun) the ones I have opened remain but are fainter to show that they were viewed. The ones that I haven't opened yet remain and are still in darker print. Newer posts push older read or unread posts down on the page.

I'm saying you shouldn't have to go looking for them in: Your Posts (which may have had 10 answered since last visit and I have to scroll through) New Posts (which are new posts and are obviously not what I'm looking for as it is no longer new and that's the problem)) Unanswered Posts (which may or may not be the one I'm looking for) .