LSD Break Away Touque...??

JordanTr

Re: LSD Break Away Touque...??

Post by JordanTr »

I would think that a low breakaway torque with a somewhat gradual ramp up to lock would be the most friendly to drive. My cars with GTR LSDs are kinda clunky and aggressive with the stock 2 way. I have a 1.5 way LSD for the 510 that'll hopefully happen this year. With a 510 and the oversteer tendencies, I believe a 2 way could become a handful pretty quickly. I'm sure Keith can chime in on that.

Keep us in the loop on which way you go and how it performs!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Personally, I want my diff to be locked up at the lower end when I jump on it.

Think of our last drive, on the way back on the prairie, where we got those kinda hair pin turns and very tight sweepers, that is where we want the rear to be well planted and BOTH wheels doing the driving. And if you do any Solo, you want the lockup right away, as you leave the starting line.

Not sure if that answered your question but as my setup is, I have never felt that the rear of my car was driving only one wheel.

As we both have almost the same suspension, with the ability to really steer the car with the throttle, knowing you have the drive locked up gives us the HUGE confidence when we drive as fast as we do like on the way to Winthrop.

And just a comment back to my G35, I HATE that slight lag when I toss it into a corner and jump on it. I'm never sure when it is going to "hit". Driving really fast is about knowing your suspension is right there when you demand it, which the diff is part of.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I agree Keith that the last thing to have would be a LSD with slow activation.
Of the two models that Cusco makes for the R180 the RS has the lowest breakaway torque, lowest initial torque and fastest ramp up. The initial torque and breakaway can be adjusted by the number of coil springs in the center of the diff. You can put between 4 and 12 springs giving an initial torque between 51 and 65 ft-lb. They also come in either a 1 and 1.5 way or a 1.5 and 2 way. You can change between 1.5 way and 2 way relatively easily by pulling the unit apart and moving the activation cam. I am going for the 1.5 and 2 way. I like diving into corners and not drifting so i think 1.5 way would be the way to go. The ramp speed is apparently very quick and gets to full lock much quicker than the stock Subaru R180 CLSD I have now. I have never felt that my current unit is slow at locking. I will take some pictures when I get the unit in. (January sometime) and keep this thread updated as to my impressions.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I do not like "drifting" either, I want the rear end of the car as planted as possible, I am no hero. No Tanner Faust here. It's one thing at Solo to get a controlled slide going within reason, but, at our 70-80 MPH high speed corners, that are not smooth, we really do not want a car that gets that loose, at least for my driving style. We do enough steering correction, as subtle as it is, and our FAST left/right transitions, again in my opinion, absolutely require my car to be as precise as possible.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Byron did you feel your R190 had a slow ramp up? I feel like sometimes mine doesn't lock up. Kinda lame.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi Jeff, go back to checking the break away torque first tonknow where you at with the condition of the clutches. I never felt a lag with my unit, intact it acts no different than the precision gear unit with 4.375’s that replaced R190 with 4.44’s. Let me know what the break away torque is when you find out.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Okay I'll check tonight if it's not to rainy out.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam