Engine/Gearbox choice confusion....

dee4

Engine/Gearbox choice confusion....

Post by dee4 »

I'm currently in the planning stages (read: "no money yet!") of a Datsun 1600 (510) build but I don't really want to do the same old S13 SR20DET / 5 speed conversion. My main aims for the build will be to keep the wieght down, have enough power to make it fun, and keep it all Nissan / Datsun.
I really like the CA18DET as they are lighter and still pretty powerful, but they are getting pretty old now and I don't want to have to tackle a rebuild just yet. I also love the FJ20, but they are a fair bit heavier and even older.
I'm very curious about the n/a SR20, especially the S15 one with the 6 speed. I'd love to get hold of one of these, drop some wilder cams in and fit a quad-throttle kit like the one from EFI Hardware. I do love turbo's, but I also love the reletive simplicity and instant throttle response of a performance n/a motor.
I did a search here and it seems the S15 combo would have to be run with the short nose R200 from the S15 to be able to use the diff mounted speedo sender as opposed to the normal long nose R200 conversion. How hard is it to use the short nose?? I also know the 6 speeds aren't the stongest box on the block, but I seriously don't think the tourque of an n/a SR20 is going to kill it.
Anyone have any input or other ideas?? :|
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Engine/Gearbox choice confusion....

Post by okayfine »

dee4 wrote:I did a search here and it seems the S15 combo would have to be run with the short nose R200 from the S15 to be able to use the diff mounted speedo sender as opposed to the normal long nose R200 conversion. How hard is it to use the short nose?? I also know the 6 speeds aren't the stongest box on the block, but I seriously don't think the tourque of an n/a SR20 is going to kill it.
Anyone have any input or other ideas?? :|
Are you trying to keep the original 510 speedometer? Switching to an aftermarket speedo with a hall effect pickup mounted on the driveshaft would be easy. At least in comparison to whatever fabrication you'd need to fit the snub-nosed R200 in a 510 crossmember.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
dee4

Post by dee4 »

Thanks for that! You're right, that would be a lot simpler!
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

The longnose diff is an integral part of the rear subframe, so it'd be a decent amount of fabrication to mount a shortnose diff and maintain the structure. You'd need some strong brackets to extend from the crossmember backwards to the shorter diff and a modified/new mustache bar to mount the back of the diff.
I'm your huckleberry.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Do a KA there heads flow much better, anything else is a waist of time.

I'm not sure if the later SR's had a speed cut like the S13's (I wouldn't be surprised, 115MPH just isn't enough sometimes) so nuts to the speedo. There a real pain in the ass when your trying to out run a vett!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
dee4

Post by dee4 »

icehouse wrote:Do a KA there heads flow much better, anything else is a waist of time.

I'm not sure if the later SR's had a speed cut like the S13's (I wouldn't be surprised, 115MPH just isn't enough sometimes) so nuts to the speedo. There a real pain in the ass when your trying to out run a vett!

Yeah, the KA was tempting, but they are a fair bit heavier than the SR and the Australian versions are not that powerful anyway. The KA was only used in D21 Navara's (I think you guys call it a Frontier) in Australia. Besides, if I was after BIG power in a 510, I'd be going straight for a VQ35DET!! :P
As for the speedlimiter, that is quite easily removed by someone who knows they're way around a Nissan ECU.
broke

Post by broke »

Put a Honda F20C and six speed in it.

/me ducks as people throw things...
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
dee4

Post by dee4 »

broke wrote:Put a Honda F20C and six speed in it.

/me ducks as people throw things...

Haha! Funny you should say that, I did give that more than just a little thought!! 2L 4 cylinder's don't come much sweeter than the F20C......

........then I remembered I'm a Nissan / Datsun man and had to kick my own ass!! :shock:
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

I had a gear made for a S15 transmission that would allow the use of the US S13 or S14 transmission-mounted speed sensor. If you want details, let me know.
eoot

Post by eoot »

I had a gear made for a S15 transmission that would allow the use of the US S13 or S14 transmission-mounted speed sensor. If you want details, let me know.
I just purchased a 510 with a S15 transmission and no speedo. I am also trying to get aftermarket electric speedo installed and am having trouble figuring out where to get the speed signal. There are two wires coming off the speed sensor on the transmission, one has constant power and the other isn't sending anything out even when the car is moving. Would that gear you made help with that?
1970 2dr with S13 SR20DET and S15 6Speed
eoot

Post by eoot »

I just purchased a 510 with a S15 transmission and no speedo. I am also trying to get aftermarket electric speedo installed and am having trouble figuring out where to get the speed signal. There are two wires coming off the speed sensor on the transmission, one has constant power and the other isn't sending anything out even when the car is moving. Would that gear you made help with that?
1970 2dr with S13 SR20DET and S15 6Speed