Coilover

miguel sss

Coilover

Post by miguel sss »

What is needed to implement a coilover, but using the suspension towers of the 510?

Here in Portugal Nobody has yet this change ...
Have I read somewhere that it was necessary to cut the towers ... if I need, how much do I owe to cut?

I bring a picture of coilover that I buy ...

Help me
Attachments
gc_weld-on_01[1].jpg
gc_weld-on_01[1].jpg (25.61 KiB) Viewed 4715 times
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: Coilover

Post by thisismatt »

Miguel,

Remove the original top hat and spring (using spring compressor tool is the safest way) by removing the nut in the middle of the top hat. Remove the strut insert (shock absorber) from the strut tube (suspension tower) by unscrewing the large nut at the top of the tube. The strut insert will slide out - if it's difficult there may be a rubber o-ring at the top that you can pick out first using a thin/sharp tool. Cut or grind off the lower spring perch from the strut tube. I find a cut off wheel to be easiest. Grind or turn the tube on a lathe to remove the excess weld material from the tube. Locate where you want the threaded collar to sit and weld on a new perch - you can make out out of a piece of pipe that fits snugly over the strut tube or some other metal ring that fits. I suggest locating the threaded collar low enough that there is maybe 2mm of tube extending from the top of the collar so that you can more easily get a wrench on the strut insert nut without damaging the threads of the collar.
I'm your huckleberry.
510ER
Supporter

Post by 510ER »

the Ground Control Coilover instructions list that you should weld the ring on 9.5 inches from the lowest part of the strut tube. I also used a very thin o-ring inside the top of the threaded collar to ensure that it doesnt move at all.
Spokane, Washington
71 2dr L20b stroker project
77 620 Looong box *sold used $$$ for rear coilovers and LSD
miguel sss

Post by miguel sss »

Thanks for responding ...

but I measure 9.5in bottom of the tower (point 2) or measure which begins the tube of the tower (1 point)?
Attachments
STmod13[1] - Cópia.jpg
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

First, figure out which insert you are going to use, then using the insert, determine how much to shorten it. you should order all the back issues of Dime Quarterly, there is a very good "how to" in one of those issues, those issues are worth their weight in gold....trust me. It's easy to figure out how much to shorten,
1. take the insert and put a long piece of masking tape on the shinny inner shaft, from where it comes out of the insert up the length of the shaft.
2. slide the insert into the strut tube and install the big nut that holds it in the strut tube, hand tight is fine.
3. grab the shinny part of the strut and pull it all the way to the top till it stops at the nut. mark the tape as close to the nut as possible.
4. now let the strut insert slide all the way till it's resting on the bottom of the strut tube. mark the tape as close to the nut as possible.
5. take the nut back off and pull out the strut insert, measure the distance between your marks and this should be how much you have to take out (cut out) of the strut tube.

This is how I did mine, if I remember right, I left a few millimeters of play, so I could use an o-ring or washers to space the insert if needed. Measure three or four times, then cut once!!
510ER
Supporter

Post by 510ER »

miguel sss wrote:Thanks for responding ...

but I measure 9.5in bottom of the tower (point 2) or measure which begins the tube of the tower (1 point)?
Its 9.5 inches from point 1 in your drawing. ALso like Gochi Was saying depending on the strut inserts you use, you will need to shorten the strut tube so that the strut doest slide up and down in the tube. I used a spacer in mine to keep everything strong and intact.
Spokane, Washington
rays70

Post by rays70 »

Hi there fellas. I just whent trough the same dilemma what I did I left 1/8" from the top of the strut to the top of the sleeve, hope this works. One quick question I tried placing my struts today and my rim and tire where rubuing on the strut. Do I need wheel spacers and longer studs? If so what sizes.
510ER
Supporter

Post by 510ER »

What size wheels are you running?
Spokane, Washington
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

I've got that same coilover on my car, but I didn't put them on there. Want some pictures of them?
Dimelovr

Post by Dimelovr »

As naby pics as possible would really help. thanks in advance.
miguel sss

Post by miguel sss »

Hello!

As you know, I do coilovers, but now came a doubt .... the shock!

The shock now will have to be smaller?

Thanks
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

miguel sss wrote:The shock now will have to be smaller?
The strut insert (shock) will have to fit within the strut tube. If you have a stock strut tube (that is, you did not cut and shorten it) then you can use an insert for that year/model strut that you have. If you have shortened the strut, ideallly you would have done so with a specific-length strut insert in mind and cut to fit whatever it was you wanted to use.

So, did you cut the strut and shorten it, as was discussed earlier in this thread?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson