Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

defdes
Supporter

Re: Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

Post by defdes »

No, I have no "hard stop" just where the splines die into to shaft. I was wondering whether I needed that extra .15 BETWEEN the CV and the end of the splines for float (what they allowed before the hard stop). In other words, you said you cut 1" off your shafts, I cut 1 3/16" (or I STARTED to, the cut is about 1/4" deep at this point to establish the end) so now the "usable spline" as shown on the drawing, is 1.225+, but there is no more spline after that the end of spline will now act as stop.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

defdes wrote: but there is no more spline after that the end of spline will now act as stop.
We may have different axles, then. I could slide a CV onto one end of splines, off inside to travel over the center of the axle, and onto the splines on the other side of the axle. In other words I had no hard stop on the inner ends of the splines.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Sorry, had to go look again at them. I have the same as you the centers of the shaft are of a smaller diameter that the ends. I have a set of the VW shafts here too that I was looking at for comparison which caused my confusion, they are about .020 bigger in the center than the ends. So... knowing that, do you think it's ok with the minimal USABLE spline being 1.25 (same as drawing)... keeping in mind that mine are still cut 1 3/16" not 1" as yours were.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Looking back at my DQ writeup, my axles were 15.625" overall end-to-end, with 2.5" of spline on each end. I cut them down to 14.5" overall end-to-end by cutting 1" off the end. So one end had 1.5" of spline left, to which I cut the outer end c-clip groove centered .125 from the outer edge. That'd leave ~1.375 of spline (minus half the thickness of the c-clip).

FWIW my Lobro CVs are 1.25" wide at the flange (ball cage is slightly wider).

If you're already cutting it at your current measurement, you can always test fit the pieces without boots and cycle your rear suspension to check the axle length. You're talking about a difference in spline of ~.125, which doesn't seem like a deal-breaker.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Thanks, I'll order up the CV's just to check before pursuing a potential path of misery.
brainfood

Post by brainfood »

Sorry to bump this but are these adapters still available? Also wondering if they will fit shortnose r200 6 bolt output shafts? Looking for cv's for my shortnose r200 conversion.