Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

BillF
Supporter

Re: Installing Mattndew's 510 CV axle adapters

Post by BillF »

OK -- so if I'm following the discussion right, two complete Empi axles shipped for $140.86 seems like a respectable deal -- http://tinyurl.com/cerrnd. It also could save some money if they were shipped direct to Dutchman for the mods.
slodat

Post by slodat »

Yes, that's a good deal. You can have them shipped directly to Dutchman, I asked them about that when I was there dropping my axles off. They actually shipped mine to me after shortening because I was out of town for a long while.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

I've gotten my cv axles assembled. I want to know something about them... How do they work? These Type II CV's do not move; they only twist. How do I shorten and lengthen these axles? How will they work when they have no linear movement? I know they have 23` of angle they work at but what about the length of the axle on a 510 as it goes through it's sweep? I am talking a stock 510 not a rock-hard racer. Can someone help me with this question?
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

Does anyone know if the 280zx axles will fit in stock 510 arms? The reason I ask is that I have a set of 280zx turbo cv's and I would rather have them bolt up to the stub axles as opposed to making adapters for them. I know that the rear bearings have the same inner diameter (510 vs 280zx), I'm just wondering if the length of the stub axles are the same.

BF
I accidentally went full retard.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

Nevermind... the maxima companion flanges bolt right up to the 510 axles and allow me to use the 280zx turbo cv shafts without mods. (with an R200)

BF
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

batfastard wrote:Nevermind... the maxima companion flanges bolt right up to the 510 axles and allow me to use the 280zx turbo cv shafts without mods. (with an R200)

BF
It fits the width?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

I have not put my eyes on it yet. My brother went to the junk yard yesterday and pulled some pieces from a rear drive maxima, went to the shop and he said everything just bolted right up. I'll post a pic of the final assy. when the "upload attachment" gets fixed on the Realm...

BF
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

okayfine wrote:
batfastard wrote:Nevermind... the maxima companion flanges bolt right up to the 510 axles and allow me to use the 280zx turbo cv shafts without mods. (with an R200)

BF
It fits the width?
Yes, everything bolted right up. It is installed and ready to go.
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

We had to shorten the turbo ZX shafts to get them to fit with a R200. We shortened them 1". FYI
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

vintageracer wrote:We had to shorten the turbo ZX shafts to get them to fit with a R200. We shortened them 1". FYI
I would agree that the 280zx shafts and companion flanges don't fit the 510, at least not at horizontal droop...but I haven't seen the maxima companion flange which could be stubbier...?
I'm your huckleberry.
batfastard

Post by batfastard »

vintageracer wrote:We had to shorten the turbo ZX shafts to get them to fit with a R200. We shortened them 1". FYI

When the a-arm is at its closest point to the diff (parallell) the axle still has over a half inch of compression available. Why did you find the need to shorten it 1"?

BF
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

We had trouble installing the axles. I think one axle "space" is closer that the other. We decided to shorten both axles to keep them both usable. I remember doing the axles on my 240Z with a R190 in it. We had to compress the axle completely just to slide it into place. It was difficult to do in cold weather. Taking an inch out of the axles took care of that problem. The axles slide in and out w/o difficulty.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I found a site that carries the German Lobro type 2 CV joint kits, I think this is the correct page mid 80's Vanagon, if this isn't (in terms of year/model) I apologize, it will be on there on a different one.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?par ... =251598101
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

So, have I made a Bozo-No-No?
I started to cut the length on my EBAY shaft prior to laying out the needed length of spline . My axle is being cut at the 14.468 length, but I only have the 1.25 from the END of the shaft to where the splines die into the shaft (what they call "usable spline" on the drawing). I think there will be enough room for the CV and snap ring (I am going to order them before going further), but do I need the extra .15 for free play between the inside of the CV for the "Hard Stop" which is now essentially the end of the splines themselves? Clear?
CVShaftMod.jpg
CVShaftMod.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 8348 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I have had no issues with cutting the eBay axles as we had discussed. That said, are you sure you have a raised shoulder between the splined ends? My eBay axles were of a slightly smaller OD between the splines, and so there was no thicker center section as shown in the Doorman sketch.

But then my eBay axles have c-clip grooves at each outer end, which also differs from the Doorman sketch.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson