Coilovers and camber plates

miguel sss

Coilovers and camber plates

Post by miguel sss »

Hello!

I bought some coilovers and Camber plates, and I have some doubts ... this all came with a few pieces to implement that I do not know where they are ...

I put a picture of the part marked in red ... I do not know where it applies, I hope you help me, if possible with pictures .... because it is the 1st time I do this ...

Thank you
Attachments
DSC04342.JPG
DSC04355.JPG
qwik510
Supporter

Re: Coilovers and camber plates

Post by qwik510 »

miguel sss wrote:Hello!

I bought some coilovers and Camber plates, and I have some doubts ... this all came with a few pieces to implement that I do not know where they are ...

I put a picture of the part marked in red ... I do not know where it applies, I hope you help me, if possible with pictures .... because it is the 1st time I do this ...

Thank you
That part is the weld on ring that the threaded collar will sit on. Once you remove the lower spring pech on your struts, you weld that ring where you want the bottom of the threaded collar to sit.

Another no weld option is to get a pair of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0312443689

They clamp on the strut tube and the threaded collar sits on them instead. I use them on my car and they work great.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
mafoose

Post by mafoose »

http://www.ringball.com/pdf_files/SCC2007.pdf
If I'm reading this right, these are more then enough to hold up the threaded collars right (even for a Z!)?
Do you tighten them to the 170ft/lbs they have on the sheet? Is this with the struts installed? Do they prevent you from removing the struts?

Hmm... Then if you get a centering ring made for the springs, you don't really even need threaded collars... Sure adjustablility would suck compared to coilovers, but it'd be a great way to make a set ride height with any readily available springs!
78 280z (drivetrainless, future 2JZ swap, currently getting coilovers)
76 280z (L28ET swap, MSnS-E, 10psi)

72 510 4 door
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

mafoose wrote:these are more then enough to hold up the threaded collars right (even for a Z!)?
They've been used on more than a few 510s.
mafoose wrote:Hmm... Then if you get a centering ring made for the springs, you don't really even need threaded collars... Sure adjustablility would suck compared to coilovers, but it'd be a great way to make a set ride height with any readily available springs!
You could just cut loose the stock spring seat and use that if you're retaining stock-diameter springs. There are infinite ways you could go with an adjustable spring height setup and not buy GC stuff. Depends on what you've got, the tools you've got, your need for adjustability, the springs you intend to use...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I had them on my ZX struts with Coilovers for over 5 years and they never moved. i just made them really tight. I didn't even have a torque wrench back then.

I now use them on a set 510 struts that have been shortened to ZX length. The lower spring perch was cut loose from the strut tube and the weld from the perch on the strut tube was ground down smooth, the struts were sectioned and shortened and rewelded and then painted . Now that collar clamp hold the lower spring in place and the aftermarket 510 springs sit in the stock 510 spring perches.

This picture is of a 280ZX strut that is using the collar clamps and the stock 510 lower perch. It should give you an idea of how it works. (Picture is of Kelvin's Wagon)
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Denver

Post by Denver »

I never thought about using those little clamps like that. Surprising how much weight they hold. So, if you did a coilover conversion this way, it's totally reversible, right?
Faster is gooder.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

Hey miguel sss, you will cut the original lower coil spring perch off (grind out the welds), clean up the strut tube, decide where you want to place those collars, and weld them in place from the bottom. Those collars will hold the threaded sleeves up on the strut tube.
Attachments
IM006201.JPG
IM006202.JPG
IM006203.JPG
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
510ER
Supporter

Post by 510ER »

I threw those oversized washers in the trash! I think they look stupid and i may be anal but if my car is going to sit on stands for a while while i finish it the strut tubes are going to look at me everyday and say thanks for not putting that on me!
here is what i used, its just a section of pipe with an inside diameter that is pretty close to the outside diameter of the strut tube,

Also to those guys running the clamps... I bought some just so i could mock up my front suspension but they were not an exact fit to the strut tube and I would never use them for anything other than mock up. I mean i took me just a few minuets to weld the rings up thats a hell of a lot safer
Spokane, Washington
71 2dr L20b stroker project
77 620 Looong box *sold used $$$ for rear coilovers and LSD
mafoose

Post by mafoose »

Mcmaster sells weldable clamps. I could basically set a ride height with the clamps and springs of my choice, then weld them in place, no need for threaded collars...

Of course it'd be a set and don't mess with thing if they were welded, because I take it different spring rates will raise and lower the car if the length is the same right?
78 280z (drivetrainless, future 2JZ swap, currently getting coilovers)
76 280z (L28ET swap, MSnS-E, 10psi)

72 510 4 door
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Yes
I'm your huckleberry.
miguel sss

Post by miguel sss »

Thank you all for your answers ...
blueridgespeed
Supporter

Post by blueridgespeed »

yes, and yes.

Two opposed muffler clamps work also! (I shudder). I too prefer the small internal ring WELDED on - it's really the best way if you've got the adjustability of the coilover sleeve.

But if setup, testing, and running it for a while are something you want to do (and you SHOULD) you can do the clamp-on collar or the muffler clamp thing and even get a degree of adjustability out of the stock springs if you free the perch (hacksaw by hand really does work best) - and you can weld it back where you like it.

Just be sure you realize that you want to shorten the damper accordingly - that's no small deal.

IF you do run clamps - muffler or other, you can put a "support sleeve" of slightly oversized tubing (ie; exhaust tubing) under the perch as a failsafe - just a thought - um - acutually a thought I acted on - and it works well.

There are many ways to reach the same point - some higher budget than others....
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Here are my ZX struts assembled
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Datsun 1600 Nut
Supporter

Post by Datsun 1600 Nut »

I am assuming those are 280ZX rotors as well? Looks really good, miguel you bought some nice stuff man, keep it up! :mrgreen:
"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place..."

Current Car's:
1971 P510 1600 SSS Coupe
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1972 P510 1600 SSS
1973 P510 1600 SSS
1973 620 Pickup
1979 PA10 1600J
1980 280ZX