Help name that 5 speed

five&dime

Re: Help name that 5 speed

Post by five&dime »

Probably posted using photobucket. I cannot see 3/4's of the photos posted from work :( I will look when I get home. I did just find a stock trans mount in my shed though :)
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

okayfine wrote:
five&dime wrote:Does anyone have or know where I can get the trans mount for the roadster trans in the 510? Apparantly Nissan used to sell the whole kit which came with all parts including the trans mount. The one the PO used is pathetic. basically a bent flat bar with holes drilled.
Likely that part is not going to be readily available. Use a stock 510 mount and modify it as necessary, similar to what's shown above.
My own experience is this. I used a stock 4 speed mount, I put 3/4" shims (3/4" square tubing)in between the body and the mount sliding the bolts thru the square tubing . The problem is, is that when you shim that far, the holes no longer align, so the mount need to be made narrower. I thought I was careful to keep the angularity between the diff and output flange correct with a bubble level angle gauge....however in 5th gear approaching top speed I would get a harmonic vibration. As the cross member was already very close to the exhaust, I couldn't lower it any further with bigger shims. I have heard from other dimers with this box that one ear of the trans mount needs to be removed and swooped up to clear the exhaust to get it in the correct position. I know this isn't exactly a "how to" post, but I thought you could learn from my mistake. I think Don Oldenberg also makes a mount for this swap.
Good luck.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Photopost at http://www.datsun510.com.

You could go that route. I cut the center out of my stock 510 mount, bolted the three resulting pieces to the car and then used 1/8" plate to slide in between the pieces and welded it all up. That doesn't make much sense, and I don't have a picture (and if I did it'd be on Photopost :mrgreen: ), but if you get under the car with your stock mount, you should see an easy way to make it all work.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

No that makes perfect sense. I love it. Just wish I could weld :)

COmpletely blocked from that other 510 site you sent the link to. Nazi firewall
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

five&dime wrote:Just wish I could weld :)
No time like the present. Sure it's ~$600 for a full MIG setup, but after that? Sheesh, my welder has paid for itself ten times over - and that's conservative. Motor mounts, engine mounts, crossmember flip, two headers, three exhausts, tranny mounts, seat mounts...I've done so much with it, and learned so much by doing things with it, that I'd not have Whitebird if I didn't know how to weld.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson