got a 91 300z na complete for swap, have ?'s

Bears510

Re: got a 91 300z na complete for swap, have ?'s

Post by Bears510 »

okayfine wrote:
Bears510 wrote:I wouldn't say I am set on it and if I decided to go ka, sr, going with the L series motor and adding some power upgrades or what not,
I still think the full, two-issue Engine Swap Guide would make for some good reading for you.

I ordered them, and I am waiting on them, again, thanks for the suggestion earlier!
Bears510 wrote:my gen 2 xb is just over that at the crank stock, and with just an intake, header and exhaust it is pretty peppy despite it's much heavier body. For that car, I would think 200 hp would be optimal for what I am wanting. for a dime, 150 hp may just be the ticket.
When I had my KA510 I followed an xC with the TRD supercharger on a long freeway onramp. We were evenly matched. Gen 2 xbox is like 600 pounds heavier than Gen 1, so if you thought that was peppy, you'll be very surprised how quick a KA510 is.

xc? did you mean the tc? (common mistake as everything else is either xa, xd or xb lol! ) the tc has the same motor as my xb tho I don't have the supercharger. (3500.00 for 40hp more??) with the trd supercharger, it puts it at about 200 hp if I remember correctly. the gen 1 xb has a little 1.5 ltr and is at or just barely above 100 hp at the crank. That sounds like a good option for me...was your ka stock? just curious..
Bears510 wrote: I am still researching every possible option based on what is available already, what would need to be fabricated, purchased or designed. Maybe I am just over annalyzing it all which I tend to do but that has kept me from making some serious errors in swaps and mods.
You should sort out desired powerband, HP stock and potential HP with modifications, cost, difficulty of installation, parts availability/installation knowledge (if you end up with a CA or something), and expected use of the car, then narrow down your engines. Then get some seat time if possible.

Now that is what I have been trying to say but couldn't get it out!! lol!

Due to the light weight of the 510, power/torque has more impact than you might be used to. By assessing things the way I laid 'em out above, you quickly eliminate choices. Fewer choices make a more manageable decision.
again oh wise one, you have hit it perfectly!!! again and again, Thank you!!!
To kinda see where I am coming from. My 91 GTI that I swapped a VR6 into, had just over 200 hp (crank) and close to that in tq with the basic mods I did to it. a stock GTI is just a tad over 2500lbs with the 2.0 16 valve in it, the VR6 is just a bit heavier and it was just needing a bit more oomph to it. saving a few hundred pounds and somewhere close to that say, 150 to 200 hp/tq would be just about right I'm guessing. but like you basicly said, get some seat time and see what the butt dyno says!!! lol!

You really don't know how much you have helped me as I run options, hp and tq figures, cost, parts availability and all that through my head on a daily basis trying to see what is best. I will keep researching and probably poke my head in here from time to time to ask a question if I can't find it (yes, after trying to use the search field in the appropriate manner that actually yields results!!! haha)

I found that link I had to the different ratios and years of tranny's and found out that it is listing 200sx, 240sx, 300zx and so on all together as one...obviously not a good source of info the way it was laid out, you kind of have to "figure it out" so to speak.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Also keep in mind that everything is a compromise.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Bears510

Post by Bears510 »

okayfine wrote:Also keep in mind that everything is a compromise.
That's the truth right there...always give and take with every setup...