Timing chain too loose

Jimmer84

Timing chain too loose

Post by Jimmer84 »

I cant seem to get my timing chain to get tight enough. I have it on the #3 hole, and the mark is still to the left of the notch. I have replaced the guides,tensioner and chain. I added more cam tower spacers, and it got better, but when I start it, it still rattles at low RPM. This is a former road racing motor, and it was machined at some time. I dont know how much. How thick of shims can you put under the cams? Are there different chains for different years? Do I have to replace the gears as well? This thing is driving me insane!

Thanks
Jim
Driver-Gravelspec Rallysport Datsun #510

www.facebook.com/gravelspec
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Timing chain too loose

Post by datzenmike »

Properly timed the etched mark on the cam thrust plate SHOULD be just to the left of the cam sprocket VEE.

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

If you have the motor precisely on TDC and cannot get the VEE on or slightly to the left of the etch mark, the only thing to do is replace with a new chain.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Jimmer84

Post by Jimmer84 »

I already replaced the chain, tensioner and guides.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Jimmer84 wrote:.... and the mark is still to the left of the notch.
Thanks
Jim
datzenmike wrote:Properly timed the etched mark on the cam thrust plate SHOULD be just to the left of the cam sprocket VEE.

If you have the motor precisely on TDC and cannot get the VEE on or slightly to the left of the etch mark, the only thing to do is replace with a new chain.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Is the spring in the tensioner?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Hey lou!

The tensioner only 'tensions' the slack side of the chain and has no effect on the tight side or cam timing.
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

Hi Mike,
Just going by what has been said, rattles a bit at low rpm .
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Right.
Jimmer84

Post by Jimmer84 »

yes the spring is still in the tensioner. but like was said, that should have nothing to do with the tight-side of the chain. how many shims can you stick under the cams? is there a difference in timing chains year to year?

slodat

Post by slodat »

The L20b timing chain is longer than the L16/L18 chain..
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

By about 4cm.

When you installed the slack side guide did you push it as far over to the right against the chain as you could?
Last edited by datzenmike on 14 Feb 2009 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmer84

Post by Jimmer84 »

how much longer is it?

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

If you have a new chain and tensioner with guides it should work. However if the head has been milled then this will introduce some chain slack. Cam tower shims should raise the cam sprocket and correct it. The tensioner should easily handle and slight slack.

The tensioner itself is supplied with oil pressure from behind which adds to the spring pressure. Oil pressure is lower at idle so this may account for the rattle. This is the back of the tensioner showing the oil inlet hole from the block. The oil bleeds out past the spring and lubes the chain, though I don't think that's it's main purpose.

IF THIS is the cause, the best way to increase idle oil pressure is to install a Hi Vol oil pump from an '88 and up 240sx KA24E motor (not the DE motor) or a Z24i, KA24E AND DE motor from an '86'5 and up D21 Hardbody. I put one on my tired old L20B and the hot idle oil pressure went from 17 lbs to 29 lbs. With no other change. Operating pressure remains the same, there is just more volume available. If this does not fix the problem the money is well spent on a far better oil pump for your motoranyway.
Last edited by datzenmike on 14 Feb 2009 10:31, edited 2 times in total.
Jimmer84

Post by Jimmer84 »

datzenmike wrote:If you have a new chain and tensioner with guides it should work. However if the head has been milled then this will introduce some chain slack. Cam tower shims should raise the cam sprocket and correct it. The tensioner should easily handle and slight slack.
how many shims can you put on it? can you put too many shims in?

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I only know that shimming changes your rocker arm contact area and the lash pads have to be changed to retain that same contact point.