Quick Brake Question

oaklandsyd

Quick Brake Question

Post by oaklandsyd »

So I've been doing a ton of research about brake Master Cylinders and Booster upgrades. I'll just throw my questions into the ring, and hope i get a simple solution without to much headache for any of us. I've dug through the boards for an answer, but haven't found anything that directly addresses my query in one fell swoop.

Issue:
I have 280zx brakes/rotors on the front wheels only. My pedal needs to be pumped once or twice before the brakes really grab. I am unsure as to what MC I am running, but it's probably stock.

Question:
What is the best MC, brake booster, and line size to run so I will have better brake feel and won't need to pump and pump to get some grab. Should I use a 280zx MC and a 280zx booster?? Should i use a stock MC and a B210 Booster?? Should i skip the booster outright and focus on matching line sizes and MC outputs??

Just can't seem to find that definitive answer. I'm guessing the 280zx booster is too big to use, which is why i can't find anything about it... also, I'm comfortable changing the brake lines if need be.

thanks!!!
510Martinez

Re: Quick Brake Question

Post by 510Martinez »

zx booster won't fit. the B210 will. I would use the zx MC with the 210 booster. The booster is not required but will help reduce the need for additonal foot effort when you change the cylinder size.
TUF510

Post by TUF510 »

Do you have the standard rear drum brakes? Have they been adjusted correctly?

Try bleeding the whole system them go from there before spending money on new parts that
may or may not fix the problem
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

oaklandsyd wrote: Issue:
I have 280zx brakes/rotors on the front wheels only. My pedal needs to be pumped once or twice before the brakes really grab. I am unsure as to what MC I am running, but it's probably stock.
!
This is wrong! The pedal may be low or high but it should be firm on one pump. Trapped air in lines or badly adjusted rear brakes are likely the cause.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

thanks for the help guys!

I may look at getting the booster, but will definitely get the lines bled and the rear drums adjusted. the guy i bought it from said the lines might be the wrong size and that's why it needed pumping. I'll look into my setup more now that i have the info straight.

here's another quick question....is it possible to put rear discs on a wagon???

: )

thanks again
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

How does the size of the lines have any bearing? Unless you've got coils of soft line, then fluid in = fluid out for all intents and purposes, unless you have air in the lines and then they have a compressing medium.
I'm your huckleberry.
slodat

Post by slodat »

Matt is right. This is Pascal's law - a change in the pressure of an enclosed incompressible fluid is conveyed equally and undiminished to every part of the fluid and to the surfaces of its container.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

TUF510 wrote:Do you have the standard rear drum brakes? Have they been adjusted correctly?
This.

Syd, you're another new 510 owner that needs to slow down, buy a service manual, and start to diagnose and troubleshoot your basic 510 problems. Rear drum brakes out of adjustment causing you to have to pump the pedal once to get good brakes is one of the most basic 510 problems.
oaklandsyd wrote:is it possible to put rear discs on a wagon???
Yes.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Also, make sure your front wheel bearings are tight. As the wheel wobbles on loose wheel bearings, this also can cause the pads to be knocked back, and you end up with either more travel, or, a "double pumper". As the others said, the rear drums can be a real problem, and i suspect a good and proper blleding should solve your problem.

also, make sure you do not have excessive slop at the brake pedal, where the rod goes into the back of the master cylinder. Keeping this nice and tight helps make the whole brake system right on the money when you need them.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

I understand how brake systems work for the most part, just didn't realize rear drum brakes had much to do with the system. So i'll start there.

I tend to listen to the guy I just bought the car from regarding the issues with the car, but not everyone knows what they're talking about, which is why I came here...

so again thanks for the good advice.

and OKAYFINE, i'll make sure to read that wonderfully detailed Datsun manual for the answers instead of asking advice from you. for the record, I'm not a newbie to Datsuns, just Datsuns with strange braking issues that I'd like to resolve, or upgrades I'd like to try..as per the initial question.

and yes, i understand putting disc brakes on a wagon is possible.

Got any resources on it? or just more "Yeah".
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

oaklandsyd wrote:I understand how brake systems work for the most part, just didn't realize rear drum brakes had much to do with the system. So i'll start there.
No offense, but apparently you do not. You have immediately jumped to the "Gotta buy new parts because my old parts is BUSTED!" conclusion. So you don't have to waste your time scrolling up, you asked:
oaklandsyd wrote:What is the best MC, brake booster, and line size to run so I will have better brake feel and won't need to pump and pump to get some grab.
When adequate research on your part, including ownership of a service manual for the car you own, would have saved you time and the potential expense of parts - for which you'd not see your issue resolved at all.
oaklandsyd wrote:and OKAYFINE, i'll make sure to read that wonderfully detailed Datsun manual for the answers instead of asking advice from you. for the record, I'm not a newbie to Datsuns, just Datsuns with strange braking issues that I'd like to resolve,
Nice going, Rob. This is not the way to win friends and influence people. This is aside from the fact that unadusted rear drum brakes on Datsun 510s is probably in the Top 5 new-owner issues, and probably Number 1 with regards to brake issues for new 510 owners. Save your "I'm not a newbie to Datsuns" line, because your talk isn't matching your walk.
oaklandsyd wrote: or upgrades I'd like to try..as per the initial question.
Per your initial question, you were looking at upgrades as a way to cure your braking issues. As I pointed out above, your proposed upgrades would have done nothing to alieviate your issues, despite your assumptions to the contrary.
oaklandsyd wrote:and yes, i understand putting disc brakes on a wagon is possible. Got any resources on it? or just more "Yeah".
Hey chief, you asked if it was possible.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson