Distributer wiring question

208motors

Distributer wiring question

Post by 208motors »

1971 Datsun formerly automatic tranny, now w/ L20B and four speed. The source of the L20B is unknown to me. The PO has now clue. The Haynes wiring diagram shows two wires going from the IGN relay to the distributer, one Black/Yellow to P2 at distributer and one Black/red to P1 at distributer. My distributer has a solid Green and a solid Red wire coming out the side of it. Here is the stupid question after an afternoon of searching the Realm. :oops: Which wires go to which? Thanks in advance for your help. The answer is probably right under my nose but at this point I'm totally missing it.
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Distributer wiring question

Post by datzenmike »

I suspect you have a remote igniter dizzy with Green and Red wires. Does it look like this under the cap?:

[img]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

Post your location.

IF this is the case you will need the remote igniter box to make it work.
Last edited by datzenmike on 21 Feb 2009 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
208motors

Post by 208motors »

Yes sir!!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Yes this is what you have??? Where are you.??
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
208motors

Post by 208motors »

Yes that is the same distributer that I have. I'm still trying to finish the swap that the previous two owners were unable to complete. I would like to fire the motor to determin it's condition.
I'm in Boise Idaho.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I have a spare remote box. There is also another method that works using a $9 GM HEI module from a Chevette (or some other POS) Here's a picture of it:

Black/White hot in run ignition position
Black/Red hot in start ignition position.. these provide power on start and run to the + side of coil and to the lower right terminal of the HEI module.
The upper right terminal on the HEI module draws power through the coil and 'opens' like a set of points which fires the coil.

The two left side module wires go to the Red and Green wires on the distributor. Sorry but I can't say which is which. I'll check and get back unless someone here knows.
Last edited by datzenmike on 21 Feb 2009 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
208motors

Post by 208motors »

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by 208motors on 21 Feb 2009 21:18, edited 2 times in total.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

haha, Mike...

connect the red wire to the red wire, but make sure the other red wire is connected to the other red wire and not the first red wire, then connect the last red wire to the other red wire and then double check that all the wires are red.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

As Hainz would say "L motors are easy to get runnin' and keep runnin' . You cant get one running good luck with anything else".

510rob wrote:haha, Mike...

connect the red wire to the red wire, but make sure the other red wire is connected to the other red wire and not the first red wire, then connect the last red wire to the other red wire and then double check that all the wires are red.

Gaaa... It was there in front of me the whole time!!!
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

510rob wrote:haha, Mike...

I am seeing red :?
hahah
208motors

Post by 208motors »

Picked up an igniter today. I'll wire what you've said so far. I'd greatly appreciate knowing where to wire the red and green to. Thanks again.

ps what cars/trucks used this distributer. I continue to get blank looks at parts stores since I don't know the origin of the engine. The previous owner has been no help.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The remote igniter dizzy was used on the '76 and up California trucks and on all trucks in '78. The next year '79, the new improved matchbox was introduced . The remote igniter was used on all California model cars starting in '74. Federal and Canadian models followed by '78 except for the 260 and 280z which all had it in '74.

Here is the Matchbox dizzy which replaced the remote igniter in all '79 models:

The black 'matchbox' is the equivalent of the GM HEI unit.
208motors

Post by 208motors »

Thanks for the explenation. I have been trying to figure out what I have to no avail. I've been debating which direction to go with this motor and I'm hoping that I can get it to start so I can get it back on the road asap.
Do you know if there is any dimers out near Boise Idaho?
Thanks again for your help.

ps: have you had a chance to verify the other half of the HEI wiring?
208motors

Post by 208motors »

Datzenmike, thanks for your help with the dizzy. :lol: I wasn't able to get a spark off the coil for some reason. Then I searched a little more and it dawned on me. The HEI has to be grounded. :oops: That being said, the engine fired right up with just a few cranks. It idles perfectly. I'd say that it hasn't been started in at least 4 years. I just wanted to say thanks. Time to overhaul the fuel tank and then rebuild the throttle linkage and cooling system. I wouln't have gotten this far with out your help. Thanks again.