KAE vs KA/Z24

okayfine
Supporter

Re: KAE vs KA/Z24

Post by okayfine »

saifa wrote:I think in the end its an older swap. Now that the KA DOHC motor's are as cheap as they are I can't really see myself not going for it. For the DOHC carbed the trade of obviously is the need to reverse the cross member and maybe mounts...again I gotta check my notes or just ask one of the smart guys on the realm :) plus a custom distributor is needed. If the DOHC sparks any interest check out Dukes project thread. Lots of helpful tips I found in there plus his header alone is worth posting as your desktop picture.
DOHC carbed KA is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. Not so much the mounting, as that's been done, but the intake manifold (is the NISMO piece available) and ignition are going to be the sticklers there.

If you've done the research and have come across many more hybrid KAs than straight-up KA installs, then I'll defer to your searching. But things like the single-row timing chain are a non-issue. When's the last time you heard about anyone snapping one? It's one of those KA myths like it doesn't like to rev.

EFI stock KA24DE is a really nice entine for the 510. Depends on how much of a project you want to undertake, how much money and time you have, etc. But a word on the psuedo-Rebello, it's more than just a parts list. They know the tricks that make their engines work, things a muscle-car guy might not know. Not saying your guy can't build you a stout Frankenengine, but I don't think he'll come close to Rebello/Troy/Specialty Engineering levels of power.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson