Weatherstrip "ADHESIVE" Removal

bueiz
Supporter

Weatherstrip "ADHESIVE" Removal

Post by bueiz »

Hey guys....

I was wondering if any of you out there had any tips or tricks on how to remove the adhesive residue left behind after removed weatherstripping. I'm replacing the Windshield on the wagon and after removing the old "windscreen gasket" I was left with a nice bit of crud.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jo ("hoe")
defdes
Supporter

Re: Weatherstrip "ADHESIVE" Removal

Post by defdes »

I would say Acetone, assuming it's in areas that wont be seen. That and maybe some Scotchbrite.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

I haven't tried this on weather stripping glue residue, BUT... I used wheel/rim cleaner (Castrol is my favorite) to very effectively remove an old radio station sticker from the inside of my rear window without destroying the defrost lines. I used a sponge to apply, let it soak for a few minutes, and it just wiped right off. I would expect it to be safe with paint, but don't take my word for it.
super clean.jpg
super clean.jpg (20.27 KiB) Viewed 5263 times
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dimebag wrote:I haven't tried this on weather stripping glue residue, BUT... I used wheel/rim cleaner (Castrol is my favorite) to very effectively remove an old radio station sticker from the inside of my rear window without destroying the defrost lines.
WD40 would also work to remove sticky adhesive. The 3M weatherstrip adhesive tends to dry very hard, and it's not really sticky. 3M makes mention of just using general-purpose adhesive remover, but I'd do a test with any product before using it on the car.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

hoseA, good to hear your still out there :mrgreen:

plastic scraper and IsoPropyl Alcohol (dont drink it!) same idea as acetone
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

okayfine wrote:WD40 would also work to remove sticky adhesive.
you know, I tried WD-40 on that sticker because I had heard it would work, but I had no luck with it. I had also tried a citrus-based so-called adhesive remover called "Goo Gone", but that didn't work either.
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

3M "General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner" part #08984 for a 1qt can, available at any good automotive body & paint supply store.
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dimebag wrote:you know, I tried WD-40 on that sticker because I had heard it would work, but I had no luck with it. I had also tried a citrus-based so-called adhesive remover called "Goo Gone", but that didn't work either.
Wow. That's some space-age adhesive. WD-40 usually works for me, spray some on a rag also makes it easy to clean the grime off engine bay wiring so I can see the wire colors. What WD-40 doesn't remove, the citrus stuff does. Good thing, too, 'cause they've probably outlawed your solution here in CA.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson