KA24 swap and the radiator

oaklandsyd

KA24 swap and the radiator

Post by oaklandsyd » 17 Mar 2009 01:09

SO..

I've been digging around prepping for a swap, and I'm trying to figure out the quirks before I get too deep and get stuck (which is inevitable anyway...). but all the information I run through keeps pointing to swapping the radiators out and installing electric fans.

first off, I have a Fiero radiator installed already. It's a cold maker. am i wrong to think it will work just fine??

secondly, why electric fans? if the fiero radiator is efficient, won't a shroud & pulley mounted fan work? or is it a matter of space between the KA and the radiator?

just trying to make a list and check things off. any help is nice.

defdes
Supporter

Re: KA24 swap and the radiator

Post by defdes » 17 Mar 2009 07:50

It's just an issue of space. Assuming the Fiero fits and has appropriate inlet/outlet it will be fine....and fans rob HP too.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 17 Mar 2009 07:50

oaklandsyd wrote:first off, I have a Fiero radiator installed already. It's a cold maker. am i wrong to think it will work just fine??
Why do you think it'll work just fine? Which radiator is it?
oaklandsyd wrote:secondly, why electric fans? if the fiero radiator is efficient, won't a shroud & pulley mounted fan work? or is it a matter of space between the KA and the radiator?
You won't have space for a clutch fan setup.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd » 17 Mar 2009 10:08

defdes wrote:It's just an issue of space. Assuming the Fiero fits and has appropriate inlet/outlet it will be fine....and fans rob HP too.
so I can probably assume that the fiero radiator and electric fans will probably hold up.?? its a slim radiator, efficient cooler. i'll deal with hoses when the time comes i guess.

a dip of a few HP isn't too big a deal, i'm just tired of L16's. I haul music gear around San Fran and it gets hairy when you're going up the hills with an extra 500+ pounds in the car... but i just really needed to know if the pulley & fan setup would fit or not. thanks!
okayfine wrote:
oaklandsyd wrote:first off, I have a Fiero radiator installed already. It's a cold maker. am i wrong to think it will work just fine??
Why do you think it'll work just fine? Which radiator is it?
its a pontiac fiero radiator....thats all the info i have on it.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 17 Mar 2009 10:48

oaklandsyd wrote:its a pontiac fiero radiator....thats all the info i have on it.
I4, V6? Fiero came with different powerplants and, hence, came with different radiators. Is your radiator OE, aftermarket?

Hose inlet is in the wrong side for a KA swap. Rabbit radiator would be a better fit.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

DannyQ

Post by DannyQ » 13 Apr 2009 16:07

I've been running a ka24e for 3 "seasons" now, the rad application is from a 78-80 vw scirroco ( make sure its the one with the rad cap, later models used a overflow tanks with a seperate cap) Its been doing a fine cooling job I wired up the factory vw coolant temp switch via a relay to power up my electric cooling fan, its sits perfectly in the rad support using the vw rad "rubber cushions" and rubber insulated mounts to fasten the upper section... I think it cost me less than 200.00 for everything... The hoses line up perfect, the only issue I had was the "overflow" spout on the rad cap had to shortened slightly so that it didn't hit the rad support when I screwed it on.

bleeding the cooling system is a little trickier, I removed the coolant temp sensor and finished topping it up from there to remove an airlock...

In traffic, guage never goes above 1/2 and the cooling fan keeps operating temp consistent. :D

SeanT-wagon

Post by SeanT-wagon » 16 Apr 2009 00:11

Clutch fan and shroud will not fit without major modification to either engine location or radiator location. KA24DE mounted with a reversed crossmember and stock 510 rubber isolators to 240sx mounts (typical KA swap). Radiator is a sciorroco/rabbit radiator without radiator cap (in-line cap makes bleeding easier).

Electric fans would be the only way to really go for this swap.