Need the correct Throwout collar ASAP!!!

five&dime

Need the correct Throwout collar ASAP!!!

Post by five&dime »

So I have everything. Re-built roadster 5 speed, new Nissan clutch, pressure plate, etc.

I also have the correct throwout bearing but am unsure which collar I need. Riley says we need the collar that came with the 4 piece kit (bellhousing, collar, bearing and trans mount)

Does anyone know the correct collar I need or maybe someone has it? Even the dimensions would help. Riley has cad drawings of all the collars for Datsuns except the one we need :(

Please help asap. My car will not move until I have this figured out.

The collar I have is 2 1/8" with a 240z bearing on it and 1.711" from the the end of the collar to where it meets the bearing.

Thanks

Brandon
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Need the correct Throwout collar ASAP!!!

Post by okayfine »

The information is out there...

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/tech ... ement.html

You should need the collar for the clutch PP you're running.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

I run the Roadster P.P. w/ Roadster box (which is out of the car right now) and the carrier itself is 1 3/8" long.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Ok I will check that measurement out with the machine shop thanks defdes!!!

okayfine. I know the info is out there but that doesn't mean it tells me what I need. I assure you that Riley at Lynchburg Nissan is "THE human Datsun database" and even he is unsure exactly which one I need. he gave me the same info you just gave the link too. The 311 part gives a range of 43-45mm which doesn't really help much.

Apparantly there was a roadster/510 trans conversion kit. Whichever collar it came from is the one I need. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to find the P#
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

five&dime wrote:The 311 part gives a range of 43-45mm which doesn't really help much.

Apparantly there was a roadster/510 trans conversion kit. Whichever collar it came from is the one I need. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to find the P#
It's unlikely Nissan made a collar specifically for that kit. PP height + T/O collar height is a constant across the L-series line. If you're running whatever pressure plate, you should need the matching T/O collar.

Is that what you have and it somehow doesn't work? Is it the same part that you had before and it was working?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I figured that as well but I also figure they may have used a completely different collar all together for this hybrid setup. Unfortunately I cannot remember whether the collar I have now came in the car when I got it or whether I ordered it from Riley when I re-built the motor.

Regardless, something was wrong (either collar or bearing or both) as it was wearing a circular groove deep into the pressure plate.

So I am def going to try and order the roadster collar and hope that works. I don't have the roadster collar pn# on the data sheet I got from nissan and the link you provided gives a range of dimensions which doesn't give me a whole lot of faith as well :(

Last part needed!!! Isn't this the way it always is?????
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Match the data on the 2 charts in this thread, use the matching bearing and you should be good....

http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/viewt ... sure+plate
Jason
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Where was the groove being worn into the pressure plate?

Most likely the fingers? was the groove wearing at the ends of the fingers?

sounds like the T/O sleeve was too long and not letting the bearing release all the way and maybe the bearing was wrong and not contacting the fingers in the right place.

from what I remember everything reall comes down to two things:
The diameter of the bearing needs to match the clutch fingers
The T/O sleeve length needs to match the installed height of the fingers
e.g. when you install the clutch measure from the flywheel to the end of the clutch fingers. The farther the fingers are from the flywheel (with everything bolted in place) the shorter the sleeve needs to be

Here is some more info to confuse things further :wink:
Some info on the setup I used
phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4241&p=36897#p36897

few other discussions on the topic
http://datsun510.com/bbmail/1999/0307.html
http://datsun510.com/bbmail/2006-1/4653.html
http://datsun510.com/bbmail/2000/0310.html

one more comparison of sleeves
http://www.zparts.com/zptech/articles/t ... pecs1.html
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

I just went ahead and ordered the stock roadster sleeve. If I have the roadster trans, clutch, bearing and pressure plate I can't imagine the roadster sleeve not working.
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

I alwas make sure mine match.
this is not my way of doing it but these guys below
Frank and jeff(icshoue) what they do if the motor and trans is on the ground is bolt it up and see how mucht throw they is or is not. meaning if bolted up the the clutch arm is already engaged(too long) then you know its wrong.

I assume you have the correct T/O bearing already its just the collor length.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Correct. I ordered all the parts from Riley at Lynchburg Nissan. Every part is from Nissan for the stock roadster 5 speed
iceD

Post by iceD »

Is that an L series bell housing? That may determine the length of the collar in this application.

ice D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

iceD wrote:Is that an L series bell housing? That may determine the length of the collar in this application.

ice D
You match the clutch parts to the same application (not to the engine used, not to the transmission used). If you use XYZ pressure plate, you use XYZ clutch, XYZ T/O bearing, and XYZ collar.
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Then I am all good and ready to go. I hope to be driving my car this weekend :)
five&dime

Post by five&dime »

Got the sleeve. It is about 1/3 the length from front to back as the one I was using before. Does anyone have a 2000 roadster trans in there 510 that can confirm?

I just got part # 30501-N1604