Cooling issues

gbean
Supporter

Re: Cooling issues

Post by gbean »

Great info in this thread!

Can someone post details on calibrating the stock temp gauge though? Mine reads hot for sure. With a reliable infrared temp sensor my thermostat housing reads about 168 F while my gauge sits between the "M" and "P."
Does that seem normal to anyone?
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DQ Volume 3 Issue 4 - Temperature Gauge Calibration - Do you suspect that your 510 is running too hot or too cold? Before you replace your radiator, you should make sure that the gauge is at least accurate. By testing the sender and the gauge independently, you may find that your cooling system is healthier than you suspect.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

I guess I need to order a back issue then....
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

isnt the IR gauge reading the temp of the metal, not the coolant???
whats the radiator reading? block?

2 core radiator? likely between M & P is close to 'normal'
i used to run straight up, between E & M, till i went to a 3 core.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

I'm running a 3 core rad and the temp only gets that high under sustained high load freeway speeds.
Its not so much a concern as it is a matter of curiosity.
-Isaac Asimov
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

gbean wrote:Its not so much a concern as it is a matter of curiosity.
Exactly. Can't know if you should be concerned if you don't know what "M" means in degrees F.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson