Underdash A/C Unit fitment question...

SeanT-wagon

Underdash A/C Unit fitment question...

Post by SeanT-wagon »

So I recently purchased one of the underdash units. I went to test-fit it yesterday and realized the stock "vent pullers" would be smashed into the top of the A/C unit. I was wondering what the TYPICAL fitment would be for them. Were the relocated or were they replaced with a completely different setup? I might just do the 350z vents to eliminate the problem all together, but I wondered what Datsun did for it.

Also, does anybody have a picture or some inside as to exactly how/where all the brackets mount? I understand the long arm on back of the fans that mounts to the firewall (need to move my ECU, damnit!) and I'd assume the one right in the middle mounts to the dash plate under the ash tray. There are 2 hoops on the ends of the unit that I ASSUMED were where the "vent pullers" relocated to, since they don't seem too sturdy. The driver's side of the unit is missing its bracket, so that's the main one I'm wondering about for mounting.

Any insight/pictures/comments/help is appreciated!
Dimebag

Re: Underdash A/C Unit fitment question...

Post by Dimebag »

Mine had the A/C when I bought it, and the vent pullers worked fine, except I had to hunt for them, so I removed both vent blower duct assemblies and sealed the holes at the firewall.
passenger side - 2 'L' brackets
passenger side - 2 'L' brackets
center mount under ash tray - there is a small metal 'doubler' plate under the nut
center mount under ash tray - there is a small metal 'doubler' plate under the nut
driver side looking up from behind - you can see the grey nut on the black bracket. I couldn't tell where the top of the bracket mounts to... I think to the dash frame.
driver side looking up from behind - you can see the grey nut on the black bracket. I couldn't tell where the top of the bracket mounts to... I think to the dash frame.
I don't have the firewall leg brace behind the blower motor, the center bolt under the ashtray carries a lot of weight, the ends seem to be there just to keep it steady. This is the thinnest, most flimsy brittle plastic ever - handle like eggs.
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
SeanT-wagon

Re: Underdash A/C Unit fitment question...

Post by SeanT-wagon »

The plastic on mine is in super good shape, no cracks and definitely not brittle (yet!). It's been stored inside for the past 10ish years. For the time being, I have my fans removed (heavy bastards!) so it's easier to mock up.. especially since the KA wiring harness/ecu is in the way of the bracket and the fans anyway. I might just keep it that way until it gets a bit warmer out and I want the extra air flow.

Thanks for the pictures! That actually helps a ton. Maybe I didn't have the unit positioned right when I was holding it up, but the passenger side puller was on top of the AC unit... I'll take another look next time I'm at the storage unit.